Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Volvo Phasing-Out Internal Combustion Engine
Herre are some freaky coool ones. 

This is a good breakdown this guy does on an EV bike. I know I am taking over this thread but EV motorcycles are just really friggen cool to me. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Not the video I was looking for but is this Harely Davidson's new sound?

that has been bandied about since 2013 and it is still not close to market. zeros are cool for about 5 minutes, but i am not giving up my gs 1200 adv thank you.

Yeah I kow it hasn't gone anywhere but I just found it funny that Harley is stuck on the "Sound" thing. Because of course. They have to market the "Sound" of it. 

Personally I hate the potato potato potato sound. I much rather prefer the sound of a well tuned machine rather than the carb choked sound. But then again I ride a strange sounding bike most often compared to a tractor. Been around just shy the amount of time Harley has as well. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Volvo is an interesting car company: they claim to be luxury, but honestly, they aren't. They make an incredibly safe vehicle, however. My wife and I have owned their big sedan and just recently the XC90: decently made vehicles with smaller engines made with great horsepower via turbo (although my XC90 had a V8), but ride rough. Had my XC90 for 9 years after buying it used, but wont' buy another. We now have a BMW X3 which is really a fun driving vehicle. Our Lexus GS350 AWD still has only 55,000 on it and its a 2007, great car. 

Not surprising they are making the switch, they can't compete here domestically with the other luxury vehicles.
Not sure I agree with that Sticky...Their new generation of vehicles are getting quite the accolades in the car rags. They certainly look beautifully styled, inside and out. 

They'll be on my next car list of consideration when my current lease runs out, but there's a part of me that really doesnt want to assist China more by buying anything from Gheely. Plus they're only 4 bangers now - albeit turbo'ed up the wazzu. 

There is going to be a market for gas engine vehicles for a long time and likely there should be in certain parts of the world. And if you are willing to pay for it. But eventually it just makes sense for certain types of drivers (or riders as Bezerker alluded to) to not use a combustion engine when not needed. Most people that drive in the city don't need a combustion engine including myself. I live in the suburbs and dont' really need a combustion engine vehicle. I do some light towing but EV's will get there (they already are for commercial) 

There is something to the perceived lack of machismo though. However while the bear is impressive with it's roar and power the cheetah is equally as awesome with it's sleek stealthy speed. 

What I'd say is that for EV's to really get the takeoff we need to clean up the environmental mining costs and battery tech. Once the manner in which we gather the elements necessary for the batteries and other parts and build better batteries that last longer and/or figure out a better storage method for used batteries than burying them in the sand then we will have something. 
I would rather see more resources against hydrogen than what we're seeing.

This rush to EV and autonomy leaves this V8, lumpy cam engine at cold start lover feeling rather cold. 

Not the video I was looking for but is this Harely Davidson's new sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzQcCiwpFc

Sounds like a fidget spinner spun by an air compressor...

it is inevitable the technology is catching up to the market and the demand is accelerating.  we will have another issue when it comes to manufacture and disposal of the batteries.  but as always innovation and the free market will bring some great solutions.  i would love a Tesla that 35k pricepoint is going to be a gamechanger.

I'm picturing that tech powering Motocross and Monster Jam; the normal crowd replaced by Jetsons-like people... flat tops and visor glasses

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
it is inevitable the technology is catching up to the market and the demand is accelerating.  we will have another issue when it comes to manufacture and disposal of the batteries.  but as always innovation and the free market will bring some great solutions.  i would love a Tesla that 35k pricepoint is going to be a gamechanger.

Agree that this is a game changer.  I hope Musk/Tesla can also be on the forefront on the battery technology so that we don't continue to lose out to China.