Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Is there ONE RIGHT BMI scale?
I've been dieting since April. Dropped 20lbs and then decided to get to 25lb loss. I hope I'm there by end of this month if the summer food doesnt f me up. 

There are so many different ways to measure BMI, is there one scale most would measure themselves by? 

I like the one that says 260 is ideal for 6'3"

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I like the one that says 260 is ideal for 6'3"
Exactly!!   That one is my favorite as well....

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I've been dieting since April. Dropped 20lbs and then decided to get to 25lb loss. I hope I'm there by end of this month if the summer food doesnt f me up. 

There are so many different ways to measure BMI, is there one scale most would measure themselves by? 
The current one is a joke  my doctor says according the BMI  I should weigh 195. I LMAO at him. He even laughed a little as well, I am currently 255 and have a small belly that I wish I could lose, but other than that I am pretty rock solid everywhere, and actually look and feel better than almost anytime in my life 

Quote: @"Viking Bob" said:

@purplefaithful said:

The current one is a joke  my doctor says according the BMI  I should weigh 195. I LMAO at him. He even laughed a little as well, I am currently 255 and have a small belly that I wish I could lose, but other than that I am pretty rock solid everywhere, and actually look and feel better than almost anytime in my life 
You did not look a lb over 250 when I met you last summer lol!

Seriously, I would never have put you at 255 neighborhood. I think you're a damn sexy Bostonian just as yah are. 

When I was racing I weighed between 222-225lbs...got as low as 217 @ 6'-5" and everyone I rode with was "are you ok" or "have a sandwich or 3"...according to one bmi schedule I should have been between 197-205lbs...too many factors come into play...find a comfortable weight that you can easily maintain without depriving yourself...

@"Viking Bob" said:

@purplefaithful said:

You did not look a lb over 250 when I met you last summer lol!

Seriously, I would never have put you at 255 neighborhood. I think you're a damn sexy Bostonian just as yah are. 
Why thank you good sir!!!  

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@purplefaithful said:

When I was racing I weighed between 222-225lbs...got as low as 217 @ 6'-5" and everyone I rode with was "are you ok" or "have a sandwich or 3"...according to one bmi schedule I should have been between 197-205lbs...too many factors come into play...find a comfortable weight that you can easily maintain without depriving yourself...
Exactly!!!  When I weighed 243 I looked fat, I started hitting the gym and was doing 3-4 boot camps a week and lifted 5 times a week, I lost inches around my waist and gained inches in my arms and chest and I gained 17 pounds !!!  But I actually look healthier.  So I am not a fan of the BMI 

My Doc wants me to lose 15 lbs or so. In the last year I've gained 5-7 lbs. Doggone bbq. I get on the scale and it tells me hey buddy one at a time here.
My oldest daughter is almost as tall as me now. But I'm growing too....sideways. :/

Interesting question!  There is a new version out called the Body Volume Index.  It is based on a body scan and can be done with an Ipad!  Goto http://www.bodyvolume.com/ to learn more about it.  the app for the Ipad is available for free from Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bvi-pro-...72920?mt=8

The BVI does not appear to be available for android devices at this time...