Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings agree with DL Dean Lowry
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
Lowry never did anything unless it was against the Vikings, so I guess it's a positive to sign him in that regard, but he is basically Harrison Phillips part deux. As it stands now, Lowry, Tonga and Phillips would be our starting defensive line. Not good
I hate to be the harbinger of gloom, but that is really not good to put it nicely.  

On paper it looks like a downgrade from last years mediocre line. 

I think too many on this board are assigning 4-3 expectations to a 3-4 DL. This team has a history of great 4-3 lines, with Page, Millard, Randle, Williams Wall, Hank, etc. 3-4 DLs just aren't like that. They're often no name, league average players. You put your money in your OLBs.

The Ravens and Patriots were the highest ranked 3-4 defenses in the NFL last year. Check out their DLs. Even going back to the great 3-4 defenses of the past, you'd sometimes have a big nasty in the middle like Casey Hampton or Haloti Ngata, but their 5Ts were often names only their mothers knew. 

I'm thinking Kenny Clark, Aaron Donald too...Granted Donald is a once in a decade player. I think the Rams and Pack both play 3/4. 

Part of my angst on the DL is they really haven't had anyone who can get a push up the middle since Floyd. Its too easy for QB's to step-up from just outside pressure. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
Lowry never did anything unless it was against the Vikings, so I guess it's a positive to sign him in that regard, but he is basically Harrison Phillips part deux. As it stands now, Lowry, Tonga and Phillips would be our starting defensive line. Not good
I hate to be the harbinger of gloom, but that is really not good to put it nicely.  

I think too many on this board are assigning 4-3 expectations to a 3-4 DL. This team has a history of great 4-3 lines, with Page, Millard, Randle, Williams Wall, Hank, etc. 3-4 DLs just aren't like that. They're often no name, league average players. You put your money in your OLBs.

The Ravens and Patriots were the highest ranked 3-4 defenses in the NFL last year. Check out their DLs. Even going back to the great 3-4 defenses of the past, you'd sometimes have a big nasty in the middle like Casey Hampton or Haloti Ngata, but their 5Ts were often names only their mothers knew. 

I'm thinking Kenny Clark, Aaron Donald too...Granted Donald is a once in a decade player. I think the Rams and Pack both play 3/4. 

Part of my angst on the DL is they really haven't had anyone who can get a push up the middle since Floyd. Its too easy for QB's to step-up from just outside pressure. 

I agree with whoever said Donald is a weird fit in a 3-4. But he could play in any defense and still be the best DL in the NFL. I tend to think Tonga could be a pretty solid player in the middle. Guy's 6-2, 338 lbs and he graded among the top DLs in the NFL last year in limited duty (77.8--80 and above is considered elite). Our run defense was top 6 the first half of the season. 

But yes, we need more inside pass rush. Lowry isn't Tomlinson, but he might be a little bit better pass rusher. Really tough to find NTs who can also rush the passer. I wouldn't throw the cat at the TV if we drafted one in the 1st this year. I just think, right now, we have bigger needs. Couple free agent signings could change that tho.

@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

I agree with whoever said Donald is a weird fit in a 3-4. But he could play in any defense and still be the best DL in the NFL. I tend to think Tonga could be a pretty solid player in the middle. Guy's 6-2, 338 lbs and he graded among the top DLs in the NFL last year in limited duty (77.8--80 and above is considered elite). Our run defense was top 6 the first half of the season. 

But yes, we need more inside pass rush. Lowry isn't Tomlinson, but he might be a little bit better pass rusher. Really tough to find NTs who can also rush the passer. I wouldn't throw the cat at the TV if we drafted one in the 1st this year. I just think, right now, we have bigger needs. Couple free agent signings could change that tho.
MB's cats on draft day
[Image: proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.is...a43e224f9f]

@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:

I think you want to try and find a JJ Watt or Cameron Heyward though. Guys, who even though they play a 5 technique, still offer something in the way of pass rush or disruption. The Vikings have no disruptors up front. Hell even the guys we have don't offer much in the way of run stopping either as evidenced by our overall ranking last year. The only reason teams didn't run more against us is because it was pitch and catch passing the ball against us with zero resistance. Last year if our outside guys didn't get home to the QB we got no push in the middle. That's got to change and Dean Lowry isn't going to be the guy to do that