Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated: Where we're at with the Cap
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I think Harrison Smith has to be a part of the cuts. 
leaving you with zero leadership on D.   not that I disagree,  but unless you are going for a full rebuild,  I dont think you want to completely remove all the veteran faces.
The D has sucked out loud for 2 seasons. The Smith deal was really a head scratcher for me because I knew they'd be in this situation the minute he signed it. Listen, I'm fairly certain Harrison Smith was rarely the problem out there on D, but the dude is 34 years old.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
leaving you with zero leadership on D.   not that I disagree,  but unless you are going for a full rebuild,  I dont think you want to completely remove all the veteran faces.
The D has sucked out loud for 2 seasons. The Smith deal was really a head scratcher for me because I knew they'd be in this situation the minute he signed it. Listen, I'm fairly certain Harrison Smith was rarely the problem out there on D, but the dude is 34 years old.
I agree,  I agreed then,  and I agree,  but then I said 5 years ago the way they were starting to back load every deal that it would lead to cap crunches despite the escalating cap,  and it has.   other teams move around like its monopoly money,  the Vikings are scrambling like they are searching under couch cushions for enough to buy a value meal.  we took our shot, but its time to realize that it  wasnt our time and to try and create a new window, not keep clawing at the one that is already closed.  I can see a path to keep the O,  but it doesnt fix the D,  i dont see a 1 year fix for the D and keep KC and the O intact.  so if we are playing for 25 anyway,  then why are we doing it around a QB that is likely falling off when that point comes?  I am just not seeing the plan yet.  Not saying their isnt one,  but to date, not seeing it.

@StickyBun said:
I guess I have to ask, why this year instead of last year? And how much of these defensive cuts is the influence of Flores?
The Vikings have only been playing this tight to the cap game in more recent years. How is it working out?

I like Smith.  Of all the vets they can cut he's the only one I might shed a tear over.  But this is starting to look like a full teardown now.  Just heard they cut Dantzler as well.

@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I agree,  I agreed then,  and I agree,  but then I said 5 years ago the way they were starting to back load every deal that it would lead to cap crunches despite the escalating cap,  and it has.   other teams move around like its monopoly money,  the Vikings are scrambling like they are searching under couch cushions for enough to buy a value meal.  we took our shot, but its time to realize that it  wasnt our time and to try and create a new window, not keep clawing at the one that is already closed.  I can see a path to keep the O,  but it doesnt fix the D,  i dont see a 1 year fix for the D and keep KC and the O intact.  so if we are playing for 25 anyway,  then why are we doing it around a QB that is likely falling off when that point comes?  I am just not seeing the plan yet.  Not saying their isnt one,  but to date, not seeing it.
I think The Plan involves digging out somewhat from what the prior regime did. I said as much the day KAM started. Probably going to be one step forward and two back for this year and next. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Tough call. I'd rather have him than not have him--especially in a Flores defense. But his replacement right now would be a competition between Josh Metellus, who in limited duty was one of the highest graded safeties in the NFL last year, and a 1st round draft pick. It could be a lot worse. And if you cut Harry with a post 6/1 designation, you save $15M. 

The way things appear to be going, the Vikings could have a ridiculous amount of cap space. And who's to say we can't use some of that to fortify the safety position. Jimmie Ward, for example, is a free agent. He graded higher than Smith, is better in coverage, two years younger, and you can get him for about a third of Harry's cap hit. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Tough call. I'd rather have him than not have him--especially in a Flores defense. But his replacement right now would be a competition between Josh Metellus, who in limited duty was one of the highest graded safeties in the NFL last year, and a 1st round draft pick. It could be a lot worse. And if you cut Harry with a post 6/1 designation, you save $15M. 

The way things appear to be going, the Vikings could have a ridiculous amount of cap space. And who's to say we can't use some of that to fortify the safety position. Jimmie Ward, for example, is a free agent. He graded higher than Smith, is better in coverage, two years younger, and you can get him for about a third of Harry's cap hit. 
No way to know what Kwesi will do. That's what makes it exciting. Maybe they are unloading to go after their QB of the future! Who knows.

@StickyBun said:
That leadership on D got us a 31st overall ranking. Can it get a whole lot worse? 

If the Hitman is gone as well, it'll suck since it'll just be another great Viking getting released at the tail end of his career.

That said, we need to get younger and faster on defense.  Tough times.  Vikings really need to get back to spending big money on up and coming young talent instead of keeping large cap numbers tied up in guys who are 30+ yrs old. 

I predict that Jalen Reagor will be cut.  $2,419,000 cap space.  He did not impress, and someone else must be able to field punts.  One of Cousins' 14 picks was his fault when he stopped running his route.  We could quickly end up being $30mm under the cap.