Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated: Where we're at with the Cap
Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
Gotta believe Harry will get a major reduction as well.
Harry is the tough one. Everything else is expected and relatively painless IMO. Thielen, Kendricks, Hicks, Reed...even potentially Cook, who's still very good, but RB is such a replaceable position these days.

Harry is still a big asset to this defense, but he's 34 and his cap hit is a ridiculous $19M. I think if Cine didn't get hurt, Harry might be gone already. Now they almost have to do something with his contract in order to ensure they have the position covered. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Harry is the tough one. Everything else is expected and relatively painless IMO. Thielen, Kendricks, Hicks, Reed...even potentially Cook, who's still very good, but RB is such a replaceable position these days.

Harry is still a big asset to this defense, but he's 34 and his cap hit is a ridiculous $19M. I think if Cine didn't get hurt, Harry might be gone already. Now they almost have to do something with his contract in order to ensure they have the position covered. 

Harry is reportedly open to a restructured/reduced contract…

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@jargomcfargo said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Montana Tom said:
Kendricks cut:  saved $9.5 million against the cap
Thielen cut:  saved $19.9 million against the cap
Z. Smith wants out:  would save $15.5 million against the cap
IF IF IF they let him out, am I correct that changes our over/under the cap from $24.4mm over the cap to $20.5mm under the cap?

Looking like a re-made roster is a comin'. 
if these guys wont play for less than this, what are we going to find out there that plays for less than these numbers?  of course we can push the hits down the road,  but is that really a wise move unless the team is going to really be remade enough to be in contention with the eagles and niners next year?
We are seeing the difference between a "competitive" rebuild and a "complete" rebuild.
Competitive rebuild = slow complete rebuild in my mind.
when i hear the word "competitive"  it usually means vs the league as a whole,  like last year,  but never seems to quite get to the point of competing with the teams that are really the legit title contenders.   we are all just along for the ride,  but I still maintain that the roots of the team need to be fixed first,  we are pretty close on the OL,  but I still think our DL is a ways off,  I would prefer they focus on fixing those issues first and then worry about WRs and DBs,  of course there is that pesky matter of a QB and how that fits in the picture of what we need vs what the owners want.
It's why I didn't agree with the strategy employed by the Wilfs and the front office. IMO you only do a "competitive rebuild" if you have a franchise quarterback already in the fold, ala Kansas City who has been competitively rebuilding for a few years. If you don't have a franchise signal caller in place, then you blow it up, trust in your front office to rebuild the roster in their own vision, and commit yourself to that process. As this roster stands now, we have holes everywhere, depth issues everywhere, and an above average middle aged quarterback who once again has this franchise by the short and curly's with no transition plan. Everyone points to, "well we won 13 games last year"....yeah and lost in the first round at home on wildcard weekend. Nobody gives a shit about 13 wins last year in the big picture when we now have the issues that we have. I would have happily sacrificed last season for salary cap space, additional draft picks, and a top 10 pick in this draft. Essentially what the Bears did under Poles, whom everybody knows was our first choice, and I'd bet anything did not take our job because he wouldn't commit to the "competitive rebuild" model of the Wilfs. He can now build that Bears roster in his own vision with all the resources in the world. That was the correct way to do this and not do what the Vikings did, which was kicking the can down the road in an effort to keep the Zimmer/Spielman Super Bowl window open when it was already closed. 
everytime I hear about 8 comeback wins,  I think that they could have just as easily been 8 loses,  you only need a comeback win if you are losing in the first place,  and regardless of the popular opinion,  trailing in all those games wasnt entirely on the D when the O disappeared for long stretches leaving the D on the field far to much and it showed.  Our record is what it was,  but we were not a 13 win roster last year if it werent for some scheduling breaks ( getting teams when they were on back up QBs or otherwise not healthy),  and likely will only be weaker this year,  am not understanding the Wilfs insistence on delaying the inevitable.

Quote: @Kentis said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:

https://twitter.com/jzulgad/status/16342...13857?s=20

Id be shocked if we go into next season without Harry. That would suck. 

@Kentis said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:

[Image: slfqs3obmw4g.jpeg]

per Over the Cap, this looks current:

Total Cap Liabilities: $231,776,619
  • Top 51: $210,977,708
  • Team Cap Space: ($9,429,216)
  • Offense: $113,876,167
  • Defense: $97,729,875
  • Special: $871,666

I think Harrison Smith has to be a part of the cuts. 

@Kentis said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:

OK, time to get the riot gear out of the closet.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think Harrison Smith has to be a part of the cuts. 
leaving you with zero leadership on D.   not that I disagree,  but unless you are going for a full rebuild,  I dont think you want to completely remove all the veteran faces.