Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins and his contract
Moneywise the timelines could work, but how many championship-caliber teams can the Vikings expect to have in the next 4 seasons of a Kirk extension? No one knows the future and so much can change year to year, but if the probable answer to the above question is two or God forbid one then you can't make that deal.
I'll say again I don't think the Vikings FO will do that. I really believe they're going to let Kirk play out his current deal if a short (2 years, MAX) extension cannot be reached.
I'm warming up to a Hooker.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Moneywise the timelines could work, but how many championship-caliber teams can the Vikings expect to have in the next 4 seasons of a Kirk extension? No one knows the future and so much can change year to year, but if the probable answer to the above question is two or God forbid one then you can't make that deal.
I'll say again I don't think the Vikings FO will do that. I really believe they're going to let Kirk play out his current deal if a short (2 years, MAX) extension cannot be reached.
You may be right. But don't get too close to that hooker. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Probably should see a doctor for that. 

Don't see how Minnesota doesn't sign Kirk to a new deal: They got NOTHING else going. Derek Carr? Please. Cousins holds the cards. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Don't see how Minnesota doesn't sign Kirk to a new deal: They got NOTHING else going. Derek Carr? Please. Cousins holds the cards. 
Carr deal might give us a hint on what Cousins and the Vikes are looking at. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I heard on some radio show I hit that Cousins camp doesnt want to let go of the short term 100% guaranteed deal,  they want to keep being able to reset the contract every couple years,  and dont want to leave the team with any outs.  If this is the case I hope they choose to roll the dice on NOTHING and tell KC to pack his bags after 23.

Carr's deal is four years at 37 million a year. So where does this put Kirk? 39, 40 million a year? 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I heard on some radio show I hit that Cousins camp doesnt want to let go of the short term 100% guaranteed deal,  they want to keep being able to reset the contract every couple years,  and dont want to leave the team with any outs.  If this is the case I hope they choose to roll the dice on NOTHING and tell KC to pack his bags after 23.
Kwesi said just last week he wanted flexibility in in that contract. Guess we will find if he is just another windbag.

How a team gets flexibility is you bring in competition, and
you don’t guarantee your QBs contract for a billion years.  I think Cousins maybe has 1 more short
extension in him, but soonish, he’s going to want to get locked up to a bigger
long term deal that will provide him more assurance of income as he approaches
the end of his career.  I think at some
point, if Cousins doesn’t provide us an NFC championship or damn close, we’ll
start to look at KAM and KOC as getting stale, like maybe these guys aren’t the
ones to get us there.  We’ll also hit the
point where Cousins starts to hit his decline. 
If they have a young fresh option by that time, that buys them a couple
more years in the realm of public opinion. 
If they don’t, the front office might decide that it’s time to restart
with a new GM or new coaches to go with a new QB.  I really think it behooves them to be ahead
of that conversation rather than behind that conversation, and that’s separate
from my belief that you should always be actively trying to find that next
elite QB.

Quote: @medaille said:
How a team gets flexibility is you bring in competition, and
you don’t guarantee your QBs contract for a billion years.  I think Cousins maybe has 1 more short
extension in him, but soonish, he’s going to want to get locked up to a bigger
long term deal that will provide him more assurance of income as he approaches
the end of his career.  I think at some
point, if Cousins doesn’t provide us an NFC championship or damn close, we’ll
start to look at KAM and KOC as getting stale, like maybe these guys aren’t the
ones to get us there.  We’ll also hit the
point where Cousins starts to hit his decline. 
If they have a young fresh option by that time, that buys them a couple
more years in the realm of public opinion. 
If they don’t, the front office might decide that it’s time to restart
with a new GM or new coaches to go with a new QB.  I really think it behooves them to be ahead
of that conversation rather than behind that conversation, and that’s separate
from my belief that you should always be actively trying to find that next
elite QB.
if you arent brining home the hardware,  its either the QB,  the Coach, or the GM, or a mix of the 3.   At Kirks age,  and known limitations,  I dont know why a  GM or Coach ( especially first timers ) would want to pin their futures to a long term deal on a guy in the last 1/4 of his career.