Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What we are getting with our new purchase.
Quote:
If he weighed 10 more lbs., this would improve? I don't see many 'big thumpers' anymore inside on D at LB. Nobody that has to 'man up' against a 320 lb. DT is going to win that battle as a LB. Fred Warner looks big to you??

Why is Warner even being brought to this conversation? You are comparing apples to oranges and the schemes are completely different. I would argue Warner wouldn't be as good in a 3-4, same as Kendricks. They are read and react linebackers who's strengths are maximimized when they are able to utilize that speed and are covered by quality lineman in front of them. Warner benefits playing behind the best four man front in football. Asamoah is undersized by any NFL standard and you are asking him to stack behind a two or three man front consisting of Tonga and Harrison Phillips. I don't like anything about that scenario playing in our favor. Two completely different situations. 

Quote: You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Lemme guess, you also thought Trent McDuffie's arms were too short. 
Well clearly. I've never even commented on McDuffie, but you clearly must know it all since you apparently were a fan of his length and feel some sort of vindication from that. Strange thing to pound your chest about, but whatever floats your boat 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
If he weighed 10 more lbs., this would improve? I don't see many 'big thumpers' anymore inside on D at LB. Nobody that has to 'man up' against a 320 lb. DT is going to win that battle as a LB. Fred Warner looks big to you??

Why is Warner even being brought to this conversation? You are comparing apples to oranges and the schemes are completely different. I would argue Warner wouldn't be as good in a 3-4, same as Kendricks. They are read and react linebackers who's strengths are maximimized when they are able to utilize that speed and are covered by quality lineman in front of them. Warner benefits playing behind the best four man front in football. Asamoah is undersized by any NFL standard and you are asking him to stack behind a two or three man front consisting of Tonga and Harrison Phillips. I don't like anything about that scenario playing in our favor. Two completely different situations. 
Warner’s in the conversation because I brought him up...because Warner is arguably the best MLB in the NFL, and he’s 6-3, 230, and that’s probably after Taco Tuesday. Our guy is 6-0, 227, meaning Asamoah is a stouter dude, with more meat on his bones, which is what you’re talking about, right? The ballast to hold up inside? 
And it’s not apples to oranges either. ILBs in a 34 and MLBs in a 43 are pretty much the same animal. The biggest difference between 34 and 43 are with the OUTSIDE LBs as I’m sure you know.

I brought up Warner because of how good he is. But if you’re stuck on the 43 thing, look at the ILBs for 34 teams. There’s about 10 of ‘em. But since Miami and Pittsburgh were the last two places our new DC coached, it might be good to start there. Robert Spillane, 6-1, 229. Jerome Baker, 6-1, 225. Duke Riley, 6-1, 227. Or how about CJ Mosley? Probably the NFL’s best 34 ILB. 231 lbs. Kwon Alexander, a Pro Bowl MLB for the Bucs a few years ago. 6-0, 227, exactly the same size as Asamoah. But our guy is going to be relegated to big nickels and part-time work. Nonsense. 
You want to argue that the Vikings need more meat up front, I got no problem. But that’s a different argument entirely. 

Quote:  Warner’s in the conversation because I brought him up...because Warner is arguably the best MLB in the NFL, and he’s 6-3, 230, and that’s probably after Taco Tuesday. Our guy is 6-0, 227, meaning Asamoah is a stouter dude, with more meat on his bones, which is what you’re talking about, right? The ballast to hold up inside? 
And it’s not apples to oranges either. ILBs in a 34 and MLBs in a 43 are pretty much the same animal. The biggest difference between 34 and 43 are with the OUTSIDE LBs as I’m sure you know.
I brought up Warner because of how good he is. But if you’re stuck on the 43 thing, look at the ILBs for 34 teams. There’s about 10 of ‘em. But since Miami and Pittsburgh were the last two places our new DC coached, it might be good to start there. Robert Spillane, 6-1, 229. Jerome Baker, 6-1, 225. Duke Riley, 6-1, 227. Or how about CJ Mosley? Probably the NFL’s best 34 ILB. 231 lbs. Kwon Alexander, a Pro Bowl MLB for the Bucs a few years ago. 6-0, 227, exactly the same size as Asamoah. But our guy is going to be relegated to big nickels and part-time work. Nonsense. 
You want to argue that the Vikings need more meat up front, I got no problem. But that’s a different argument entirely. 
Maroon, I'll just say that I hope you are right because we need impact at every level of our defense. If he can be an every down player, great. I have my doubts, but let's see what Flores does with all these guys. The number one thing is putting them in the best positions to make plays and utilize their skill sets, which was a huge problem last season as we all know.

Warner’s in the conversation because I brought him up...because Warner is arguably the best MLB in the NFL, and he’s 6-3, 230, and that’s probably after Taco Tuesday. Our guy is 6-0, 227, meaning Asamoah is a stouter dude, with more meat on his bones, which is what you’re talking about, right? The ballast to hold up inside? 
Maroon, I'll just say that I hope you are right because we need impact at every level of our defense. If he can be an every down player, great. I have my doubts, but let's see what Flores does with all these guys. The number one thing is putting them in the best positions to make plays and utilize their skill sets, which was a huge problem last season as we all know.
thank you.  Now can you two do a cleanup of the place, there is piss everywhere.

He won't just be a starter, he'll be a star. If Flores can find a way to make us forget all about the '22 version of Erik Kendricks, who I personally think was the 2nd worst player on our entire _efense, those two could be quite a pair. 

On the subject of LB's, I was listening to Charlie Weis on NFL Radio this morning. He stated the hardest player for him to game plan against (outside of Ray Lewis) was Zach Thomas. He stated what the Dolphins would do is line him up about a yard and half deeper then the OLB's because he was short and could see better, and cover him behind two massive DT's in front of him. Weis stated he would have to dig deep into his bag of tricks to try to fool Thomas and give him something he hadnt seen before. He stated Thomas was a great player, but the Dolphins put him in a position to maximize his ability. 
Point being, let's put these guys in the best positions to make plays and let's get some quality defensive lineman in front of them. Daron Payne should be priority #1 in free agency IMO..