Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdy has 'taken the league by storm'
LMAO. Good lord, the f$%^ing media. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-...tands-out/

Am I crazy for wanting to see more than one half season before declaring him the next Tom Brady? 

Confused 

Hyperbole much? 

Sloppy, overflowing media hype is the reality we live in these days.

If Purdy and SF win the Superbowl, I gotta wonder how much it would change how teams think about drafting QB's.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
If Purdy and SF win the Superbowl, I gotta wonder how much it would change how teams think about drafting QB's.
Shanny will be revered as the next Belicheat,  not that he got lucky, but he saw something in this late rounder and it paid off... right,  they got lucky.  teams have been grabbing late round QBs and undrafted guys for as long as the draft has been around... once in a blue moon you get lucky.  ( you know,  the same mentality we as Vikings fans cling to every year )

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mattyman said:
Shanny will be revered as the next Belicheat,  not that he got lucky, but he saw something in this late rounder and it paid off... right,  they got lucky.  teams have been grabbing late round QBs and undrafted guys for as long as the draft has been around... once in a blue moon you get lucky.  ( you know,  the same mentality we as Vikings fans cling to every year )
And let's not forget they had three 6th rounders, two of which were the last two picks in the round--basically throw aways. If they had targeted Purdy specifically, and had the slightest worry he'd go with one of the 41 picks in the 7th round, they would've used one of those 6th rounders on him. It was a shot in the dark, no matter how many times we'll hear Shanny praise his scouting staff and say he was their guy all along. 

Quote: @Mattyman said:
Shanahan has a ultra-QB friendly offense. Everything is predicated on the run game, motion, and creating mismatches so their receivers can get YAC.  It's why Jimmy G, Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard, etc and now Brock Purdy have been successful running it.

Then you factor in their top shelf defense and you have a recipe to win games regardless of the talent level of your QB.  That said there is a reason they went and got Lance.  Even Shanahan realized you can win a lot of games with a good game manager, but he was hoping to get a guy who could elevate them even further and be a perennial SB contender.

Despite Brock Purdy being a feel good story, this is more about Shanahan's offense and the 49ers defense.  Unless some team can replicate that, I don't think you'll see teams rethink their QB strategy.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mattyman said:

A late rounder paying off (Dak Prescott)  happens, agreed.

A rookie late rounder starting 4? games gets to and wins  a Superbowl  would shatter  some ways of thinking on "how to win a superbowl"