Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glad the Vikings lost to the Giants...why?
Watching the Eagles dismantle the Giants...it could have been, would have been a worse dismantling if it had been us.  And just as, if not more embarrassing.  

The loss accelerated the departure of _onatelle.  We all knew that needed to happen, and the sooner the better.  The early playoff loss is giving us a bit of a headstart on the search, although realistically the teams left have far better defenses, and aren't looking.
After watching how out-of-position and slow our D was against the Giants ('scuse me, all season), watching the Eagles D was like getting schooled.
And I also looked closely at the Eagles stable of running backs.  Short (but not little).  Stout.  Quick as hell.  I watched how all 5'6", 203 lbs of Boston Scott crouched behind his blockers and scooted through cracks.  But their collective quickness impressed me.  
The Vikings would have stood zero chance.
I did not like the way our season ended, but it was a heckuva 13-4 surprising run.  But this team is not ready for the next step.

What say you?

I HATE 1 and done in the playoffs, but I agree we're not in the same league as the heavy weights in the NFC. 

But I HATE 1 and done in the playoffs - even though I knew this wasn't a team built for a deep playoff run

It was pretty sobering how bad the D was and they NEVER had a consistent running game. 

They got themselves a relatively difficult cap/personnel puzzle to put together this off-season. 

Did I say I hate 1 and done?

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Watching the Eagles dismantle the Giants...it could have been, would have been a worse dismantling if it had been us.  And just as, if not more embarrassing.  

The loss accelerated the departure of _onatelle.  We all knew that needed to happen, and the sooner the better.  The early playoff loss is giving us a bit of a headstart on the search, although realistically the teams left have far better defenses, and aren't looking.
After watching how out-of-position and slow our D was against the Giants ('scuse me, all season), watching the Eagles D was like getting schooled.
And I also looked closely at the Eagles stable of running backs.  Short (but not little).  Stout.  Quick as hell.  I watched how all 5'6", 203 lbs of Boston Scott crouched behind his blockers and scooted through cracks.  But their collective quickness impressed me.  
The Vikings would have stood zero chance.
I did not like the way our season ended, but it was a heckuva 13-4 surprising run.  But this team is not ready for the next step.

What say you?
I just said the same thing in another thread.  The Eagles toyed with the Giants 3 times this season and would have toyed with us like they did early this year.  Obviously, we were not an impressive playoff team even with a great record.  I'm not sure we would have beaten any of the NFC teams in the playoffs including Buccs or Dallas.  

Unfortunately, we teased ourselves with a playoff record but no real threat to compete at a playoff level.  We are in limbo with a lot of needs to be a threat.  Bottom line, it looks like we are close with a great record, but we are a long way from being a SB contender.

I dont stop at the D,  our O was handled to many times this year by the better teams in the league.  Both sides of the ball need some major steps up.

It seemed like the Vikings were too set on running Cook no matter if it was working or not.  He just didn't look like the same player as in past seasons, I know he has lost a step or two but he seemed to dance too much looking for a place to run instead of hitting the hole for what ever he could get.  What would it have it hurt to mix it up with Mattison or fast Kenny just for a change of pace.  Be unpredictable and don't be afraid to try another player if it isn't working.

We most likely would have gotten crushed by the 49ers today, but you never know - on any given Sunday.  Look at the Giants Super Bowl winning teams, they were never dominant during the season, you never know what can happen and I definitely wish we were playing today, bummed to have our first Vikingless Sunday. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
We most likely would have gotten crushed by the 49ers today, but you never know - on any given Sunday.  Look at the Giants Super Bowl winning teams, they were never dominant during the season, you never know what can happen and I definitely wish we were playing today, bummed to have our first Vikingless Sunday. 
that always sounds nice, but this years Vikings were never Primed for a playoff run. That Giants team had a dominant D Line. Those are what can cause upsets.

It is what it is. The defense needs speed and smarts. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I dont stop at the D,  our O was handled to many times this year by the better teams in the league.  Both sides of the ball need some major steps up.
Agreed. O-line couldn't run block or impose their will in short yardage most of the time. They were also manhandled by the better teams. Plenty of work to be done in all three phases. Kwesi will have to become wonder boy to put this puzzle together. But I think it can be done in a year or two.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Agreed. O-line couldn't run block or impose their will in short yardage most of the time. They were also manhandled by the better teams. Plenty of work to be done in all three phases. Kwesi will have to become wonder boy to put this puzzle together. But I think it can be done in a year or two.
A year or two is where I'm at as well,  but only if they don't double down on high dollar heals for marginal to above average players.  I think the sooner they accept that they are not a contender and move to a 2025 plan,  the better they will be.  Starting with either trading Cousins this offseason,  or letting him play out his deal and drafting his replacement this year.  Getting into a rookie QB contract in 25 will IMo be key to keeping the core group of our better younger players,  while then being able to be active in FA to pay some top tier hole fillers to make up for the lack of draft picks this year.