Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: post mortem
On the bright side, this was a throughly enjoyable, unexpected season.
  • Donatell:  Really, how fast can you fire him?  Does anyone on this board think he should be back next year.  I was surprised by this hire but I figured KOC thought he needed more experience on his coaching staff.  In the past 5 years, we have really seem a seismic shift in the way the game is played and 2020s football has passed the likes of Donatell.  
  • KOC:  I think KOC was outcoached yesterday especially on the last drive.  However, looking back at the season, I am wondering whether KOC should give up play calling.  The first drive is usually great -- all the pre-scripted plays, etc.  But as we get deeper into the game -- 2nd and 3rd quarters -- the O sometimes flounders a bit.  I think it might be because KOC's head coaching responsibilities are interfering with his game calling.  The O does play great in the 4th but that may be because KOC is emptying the playbook and many of the other game adjustments are over.  Perhaps I am overthinking this.
  • Defense:  I think we will see a defense heavy draft with a late round speed receiver drafted.  The linebacker corp needs to be completely overhauled and Spielman's last drat will haunt this team for a few years.  Need to be more physical.  From a CB point of view, this team seems to be in a better place than it has been in a few years.  Clearly need a thumper on this defense -- hopefully Cine can play that role.
  • Offense:  Hmm, am I writing that we should bring back Bradbury?  Would be nice to have a second season of Oline continuity.  Thielen is gone or in a greatly reduced role, need to bring in a speedster.  But if there is anyone I trust in judging talent it is Keenan.    

Bye bye _onatell.

I also wonder about KOCs playcalling.  But I think he will learn and grow.  He seems to have a pretty good feel, but abandons the running game to easily.  

Agree that we should keep the O-line together.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
  • Donatell:  Really, how fast can you fire him?  Does anyone on this board think he should be back next year.  I was surprised by this hire but I figured KOC thought he needed more experience on his coaching staff.  In the past 5 years, we have really seem a seismic shift in the way the game is played and 2020s football has passed the likes of Donatell.  
  • KOC:  I think KOC was outcoached yesterday especially on the last drive.  However, looking back at the season, I am wondering whether KOC should give up play calling.  The first drive is usually great -- all the pre-scripted plays, etc.  But as we get deeper into the game -- 2nd and 3rd quarters -- the O sometimes flounders a bit.  I think it might be because KOC's head coaching responsibilities are interfering with his game calling.  The O does play great in the 4th but that may be because KOC is emptying the playbook and many of the other game adjustments are over.  Perhaps I am overthinking this.
  • Defense:  I think we will see a defense heavy draft with a late round speed receiver drafted.  The linebacker corp needs to be completely overhauled and Spielman's last drat will haunt this team for a few years.  Need to be more physical.  From a CB point of view, this team seems to be in a better place than it has been in a few years.  Clearly need a thumper on this defense -- hopefully Cine can play that role.
  • Offense:  Hmm, am I writing that we should bring back Bradbury?  Would be nice to have a second season of Oline continuity.  Thielen is gone or in a greatly reduced role, need to bring in a speedster.  But if there is anyone I trust in judging talent it is Keenan.    
Spielman's last draft? Just coming out of that with Darrisaw was a huge win in my book. Three players from that draft were starters for us this season and played pretty well. If you think that will haunt the team for years, what do you think Kwesi's first draft does to this organization moving forward? 

Agree on all of this.

KOC should seriously consider handing the play calling off to Phillips.

Defense needs an innovative coach to begin it's overhaul. 

P2 is done...

Part of the over-priced and slow gang. There are too many plays he's not in position to make the play or he looks entirely dis-interested. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
P2 is done...

Part of the over-priced and slow gang. There are too many plays he's not in position to make the play or he looks entirely dis-interested. 
If his play matched his yap he'd still be All-Pro.

P2 is done...

But he "told you" everytime he got a pick.

I was done with him last year.  I think he is a good coach for the younger dbs, but he isn't someone I would keep around.

Here's one we haven't talked about yet...

How many times was JJ targeted in Q4? 

I dont think any?

Here's one we haven't talked about yet...

How many times was JJ targeted in Q4? 

I dont think any?
Instructional manual for Kwesi/KOC on what to look for in a DC.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@VikingOracle said:
Spielman's last draft? Just coming out of that with Darrisaw was a huge win in my book. Three players from that draft were starters for us this season and played pretty well. If you think that will haunt the team for years, what do you think Kwesi's first draft does to this organization moving forward? 
I am sorry but having 3 3rd round picks fail to make the team for their second year is a failure.  Yes, RS hit his first round pick (if you judge a successful pick as one the team extends after the rookie deal is over the success rate is 33% -- for example, Trae Waynes would be considered a failed pick by that criteria).  But, drafting an offensive lineman in the first round has a high success rate for drafting a starter (83%).

Now let's look at the four 3rd round picks: (a) QB has a 17% chance of becoming a starter when drafted in the 3rd round; (b) LB is at 34%; © OL has a 40% and (d) DL has a 27% chance.  Here is another way to look at it, 3rd round picks, on average, have an NFL career of 48.1 regular season games.

To compare in a different way, Kwesi picks (including three players -- including a 1st and 2nd rounder -- who were hurt for most of the season) played in 89 games in one year.  RS picks, in 2 years, have played in 146 games.   Everyone of Kwesi's picks played in at least 3 games.

Then compare RS's 2020 draft against 2021. 2020 has 10 picks still with the Vikings.  2021 has 4. 2022 also has 10.