What's wrong with Thielen?
Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
I still go back to the fact that we had Williams, Davis, and Kyle Hamilton all fall into our laps for the taking and we traded all the way down for terrible value to select a non-impact player who was running 4th on the depth chart before his catastrophic injury. Getting little to no return from this draft class has hurt this team down the stretch. People can stroke Kwesi all they want, but the fact is outside of adding Zadarius in free agency after he spurned the Ravens and trading for Hockenson mid season, he has done NOTHING in the way of adding impact and/or depth to this roster. Hicks and Phillips have made little impact on a defense that currently ranks 31st in total defense. 
Kwesi has a lot to prove this offseason 
Value aside since we didn't get market for the trade down I don't agree. 

Jameson Williams would have been a fine pick and the Vikings liked him. He doesn't help you early in the season due to his injury which goes against what they were attempting to do this off-season. They would have taken Olave or Wilson if they had made it to their pick. Just didn't happen. Davis didn't have value to them and Tonga has been equally impressive off waivers. Kyle Hamilton didn't fit the defensive systems they wanted to play. You could argue with a scheme change if that answer changes. But you only know what you know. 

Cine was a fine pick and still believe he'll play a big role moving forward. He didn't play early on but as a prospect, I personally was a big fan. The goal was to build a fast and physical backbone which then played into the Asamoah pick, who will be a starter next year. Akayleb Evans will at worst be a 4 year depth CB and Ingram is serviceable with some level of upside. Later on they picked up Otomewo, Chandler, and Nailor who are depth. 

Not saying Kwesi won the draft, but it was far from a burning fire. 
There was an article the other day about how the OC in Detroit hoped that Williams would pick things up faster than he has. He's been healthy for 5 games and he has one catch. Yeah, that one.

Now, this doesn't mean anything. Like I said before the draft, it's going to be some time before he starts making an impact. Even after he's 100% healthy, there's a period of confidence building. 

What I don't understand is why so many thought he was a can't miss prospect. The speed is REAL, but there was some downside there that not many wanted to acknowledge. 

Read another article about a month ago calling Jordan Davis an "afterthought." So many of the guys promoted by VikingNation aren't really setting the world on fire. 

You know who's been amazing? That kid with the short arms. 
Agree on Williams. When it comes to McDuffie, nothing has really changed since draft day. He was a great target for the Vikings if they could have traded down a few slots, not all the way back to pick #32. Considering his ability to play the slot and the results they've gotten from Chandon Sullivan it would have been a valuable choice. Maybe we should apply for a joint GM position? In one of my later mocks I had taken McDuffie in a slight trade down, then picked up a 3rd to add Kirby Joseph who is going to end up being a long-term starter for Detroit. 
A McDuffie/Joseph combo would've been great. Infinitely better than what we got from Cine and Booth (so far).

The real sleeper from this draft was Tariq Woolen. Seattle got him in the 5th round and he's been terrific. I wasn't especially high on him, but I know this board had some discussion about him. 

I know free agency will have a lot to say about what direction we go in, but curious what you think our biggest need is.

The early off-season will probably change my answer. Depth wise they are a fairly complete team, but they are lacking the high upside plays needed from their high price starters. 

But if I had to list my top 3 needs as of today it would be: Slot CB, Some added layer to the pass rush (could be a hybrid ILB, otherwise a better penetrating base end), then WR2 in that order. 
Maybe add ILB as well. EK & Hicks are on their last legs and I don't trust Dye yet in a full-time role if something were to happen to those two.
and maybe OLB, Smith ended up dinged most of the season and Hunter has really shown to be a much better 4-3 guy than a stand up OLB.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
I still go back to the fact that we had Williams, Davis, and Kyle Hamilton all fall into our laps for the taking and we traded all the way down for terrible value to select a non-impact player who was running 4th on the depth chart before his catastrophic injury. Getting little to no return from this draft class has hurt this team down the stretch. People can stroke Kwesi all they want, but the fact is outside of adding Zadarius in free agency after he spurned the Ravens and trading for Hockenson mid season, he has done NOTHING in the way of adding impact and/or depth to this roster. Hicks and Phillips have made little impact on a defense that currently ranks 31st in total defense. 

Jameson Williams would have been a fine pick and the Vikings liked him. He doesn't help you early in the season due to his injury which goes against what they were attempting to do this off-season. They would have taken Olave or Wilson if they had made it to their pick. Just didn't happen. Davis didn't have value to them and Tonga has been equally impressive off waivers. Kyle Hamilton didn't fit the defensive systems they wanted to play. You could argue with a scheme change if that answer changes. But you only know what you know. 

Cine was a fine pick and still believe he'll play a big role moving forward. He didn't play early on but as a prospect, I personally was a big fan. The goal was to build a fast and physical backbone which then played into the Asamoah pick, who will be a starter next year. Akayleb Evans will at worst be a 4 year depth CB and Ingram is serviceable with some level of upside. Later on they picked up Otomewo, Chandler, and Nailor who are depth. 

There was an article the other day about how the OC in Detroit hoped that Williams would pick things up faster than he has. He's been healthy for 5 games and he has one catch. Yeah, that one.

Now, this doesn't mean anything. Like I said before the draft, it's going to be some time before he starts making an impact. Even after he's 100% healthy, there's a period of confidence building. 

What I don't understand is why so many thought he was a can't miss prospect. The speed is REAL, but there was some downside there that not many wanted to acknowledge. 

Read another article about a month ago calling Jordan Davis an "afterthought." So many of the guys promoted by VikingNation aren't really setting the world on fire. 

Agree on Williams. When it comes to McDuffie, nothing has really changed since draft day. He was a great target for the Vikings if they could have traded down a few slots, not all the way back to pick #32. Considering his ability to play the slot and the results they've gotten from Chandon Sullivan it would have been a valuable choice. Maybe we should apply for a joint GM position? In one of my later mocks I had taken McDuffie in a slight trade down, then picked up a 3rd to add Kirby Joseph who is going to end up being a long-term starter for Detroit. 
A McDuffie/Joseph combo would've been great. Infinitely better than what we got from Cine and Booth (so far).

The real sleeper from this draft was Tariq Woolen. Seattle got him in the 5th round and he's been terrific. I wasn't especially high on him, but I know this board had some discussion about him. 

I know free agency will have a lot to say about what direction we go in, but curious what you think our biggest need is.

The early off-season will probably change my answer. Depth wise they are a fairly complete team, but they are lacking the high upside plays needed from their high price starters. 

But if I had to list my top 3 needs as of today it would be: Slot CB, Some added layer to the pass rush (could be a hybrid ILB, otherwise a better penetrating base end), then WR2 in that order. 
Maybe add ILB as well. EK & Hicks are on their last legs and I don't trust Dye yet in a full-time role if something were to happen to those two.
and maybe OLB, Smith ended up dinged most of the season and Hunter has really shown to be a much better 4-3 guy than a stand up OLB.
The whole idea that Hunter is a much better 4-3 guys is a myth. He finished the year 6th is total EDGE pressures (which is the most consistent year over year), 10th in sacks, 3rd in QB hurries, 3rd in tackles, and 5th in defensive starts. He got off to a low start and the teams pass rush as a whole struggled so he's moved into the underrated category. Over the past 4-5 weeks he's looked the part as well.

As for the ILB need, one of Kendricks/Hicks will be gone and Asamoah will get a starting spot. He deserves it too. But its still a need from the standpoint of finding another player who excels in space over the middle.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:

The whole idea that Hunter is a much better 4-3 guys is a myth. He finished the year 6th is total EDGE pressures (which is the most consistent year over year), 10th in sacks, 3rd in QB hurries, 3rd in tackles, and 5th in defensive starts. He got off to a low start and the teams pass rush as a whole struggled so he's moved into the underrated category. Over the past 4-5 weeks he's looked the part as well.

As for the ILB need, one of Kendricks/Hicks will be gone and Asamoah will get a starting spot. He deserves it too. But its still a need from the standpoint of finding another player who excels in space over the middle.  

but I also saw them using him from a hand in the dirt position which is then essentially a 4-3 in the later half of the season instead of a stand up role.  and him dropping into passing lanes doesnt look natural at all.  Also I think he was more effective in the past stringing out runs plays from that end position than he looked like from a stand up role.  He just doesnt seem to be as comfortable standing up.   Maybe I am over thinking his play in the past,  but he didnt seem to be nearly as big a part of our D this year as he was prior to the neck injury.

Lot of questions in the offseason. So if Cine comes back and is fully healed, where do we play him? I'm assuming that Harry and Bynum retain their Safety roles since Cine couldn't beat out Bynum to start the season. He's a box safety which makes finding a starting role in this current scheme challenging for what he is good at. Flying downhill as a disruptor from sideline to sideline is what he's best at. He was good enough in College when he had to play coverage, but I think he struggled in camp when matched up with good route runners. Great straight line speed, but is a little slow out of breaks and change of direction. We can't assume Donatell will be fired if KOC and Kwesi feel it's a talent issue and not a DC issue. I love the way Asamoah flies around the field. Hopefully he can hold up in a full time role. He seems small and will have to use his speed and quickness to avoid being gobbled up by lineman and TE's in the run game. Hicks and Sullivan definitely need to be gone after this season. 

Quote: @TBro said:... We can't assume Donatell will be fired if KOC and Kwesi feel it's a talent issue and not a DC issue.  
I'm glad you recognize this. There is a certain faction of fans, in the minority obviously, that feel Donatell designed a defense that got the best out of the personnel he had. After last years debacle, I think there may be some validity to the argument. I think it would be foolish to assume Donatell will get fired. But if not, Kwesi has his work cut out for him.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Real sleeper might be Purdy...
I sure I hope not. But I think QBs are different. As we've seen so many times, for a QB, a great first year means almost nothing. Actually, I have a sneaking suspicion that some DC is going to figure him out in the playoffs. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:

Agree on Hunter. Regarding ILB, I sorta wonder if both Kendricks and Hicks could be gone. it's not a premium position, but it's very possible the best ILBs in the draft will be on the board when the Vikings select. 

Obviously, we have to see what happens with Donatell. If he goes, does the new DC bring back the 4-3? If so, that changes everything. 

@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:

I would think you'd pencil Booth in our slot CB next season with Dantzler and Evans on the outside. That would of course be contingent on your confidence level in that group staying healthy, but we've certainly spent the draft capital at that position once again. I'd be surprised if Peterson is back on another short deal with our salary cap issues. 

I would say interior defensive line would far and away be our biggest need, regardless of if we stay with the 3-4 or switch it back to a 4-3. Throw in Tomlinson hitting free agency and that position becomes potentially even more dire. 

1. Interior DL
2. WR
3. QBOTF

@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:

Can never have too many corners. Curious if the Vikings try to bring Peterson back. He won't cost much and he outplayed his contract this year. Might be worth considering given the youth at corner. 

Ideally, you'd have Booth on one side with Peterson to hedge that bet. Evans on the other competing with Dantzler, and Shelley inside. In that scenario I think corner is a round 2-4 consideration. 

The key to the whole thing might be Dalvin Tomlinson. He's a free agent and if he's not resigned, DT likely jumps to the top of the list. 

Quote: @TBro said:
Lot of questions in the offseason. So if Cine comes back and is fully healed, where do we play him? I'm assuming that Harry and Bynum retain their Safety roles since Cine couldn't beat out Bynum to start the season. He's a box safety which makes finding a starting role in this current scheme challenging for what he is good at. Flying downhill as a disruptor from sideline to sideline is what he's best at. He was good enough in College when he had to play coverage, but I think he struggled in camp when matched up with good route runners. Great straight line speed, but is a little slow out of breaks and change of direction. We can't assume Donatell will be fired if KOC and Kwesi feel it's a talent issue and not a DC issue. I love the way Asamoah flies around the field. Hopefully he can hold up in a full time role. He seems small and will have to use his speed and quickness to avoid being gobbled up by lineman and TE's in the run game. Hicks and Sullivan definitely need to be gone after this season. 
It's interesting because traditionally in a 3-4 you'd want bigger, run thumping ILB's. The Vikings have elected to go with smaller LB's (Kendriks, Hicks, Asamoah) for what I'd assume would be to combat the Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields of the world escaping the pocket, making plays with their legs, and you want your LB's to have the speed to track them down. I think that's contributed to some of our inability to stop the run this season. Our defensive line is not very good, and it allows lineman to get to the second level and take on the LB's. 

Again, there needs to be some changes to the defense this offseason and I'm hoping the biggest is scrapping Donatell and this 3-4 defense.