Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with Thielen?
Thielen is going to be done soon. It is what it is 

He's dust. He's been schemed open this year at times and made clutch catches but as far as beating his man-- something he's been elite at his whole career-- seems to not be there anymore or at least on the sharp decline. The team seems to recognize this considering he hasn't been getting many targets.
Jameson Williams or Christian Watson could have really helped this team, he whispered through tears.

WR is going to be a consideration with the 1st round pick this spring. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
IT would not surprise me at all if that happened. Just not over a stud DB, DL or OG please. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
IT would not surprise me at all if that happened. Just not over a stud DB, DL or OG please. 
I can pretty much guarantee we're not drafting an OG.

If you take QB out of the mix, because that changes everything, then I think the pick is among DL, LB, WR and CB. You'd be taking red chip DLs and CBs, but you could probably still get blue chip LBs and WRs in the middle 20s. 

More curious to see who our new DC is, assuming Donatell is fired. I keep thinking of the Cowboys who flirted with a 3-4 for a year, then switched back to a 4-3 and darted to the top the D rankings. 

The thought of having Jefferson + Watson + KJ + Adam (slot) and TJ is mind boggling.  

Any QB would succeed here with that weapon set

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Exactly why I was advocating for us to look at Jameson Williams or one of the other WR's in this last draft.  Did anybody not see this happening!? I love Thielen, his story, and what he's meant to the organization....but he is 33 and has missed a lot of games with injury the last couple seasons. I've never been as enamored with KJ as some here have been. He is a good group addition but if he is your starter opposite Jefferson, you are going to be in trouble. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Exactly why I was advocating for us to look at Jameson Williams or one of the other WR's in this last draft.  Did anybody not see this happening!? I love Thielen, his story, and what he's meant to the organization....but he is 33 and has missed a lot of games with injury the last couple seasons. I've never been as enamored with KJ as some here have been. He is a good group addition but if he is your starter opposite Jefferson, you are going to be in trouble. 
I was pushing for Williams or Jordan Davis. Williams recovery is still a work in progress. He's had zero impact this year for the Lions so he wouldn't have helped us this year. Davis on the other hand would have helped the interior DLine immediately with his interior pressure and run stopping ability. He's a handful. The problem I have with the trade that landed Cine is one we've all discussed and has been masked by the 11-4 record. We didn't get enough in return from the Lions, and Cine is not a good fit for this scheme. 

I still go back to the fact that we had Williams, Davis, and Kyle Hamilton all fall into our laps for the taking and we traded all the way down for terrible value to select a non-impact player who was running 4th on the depth chart before his catastrophic injury. Getting little to no return from this draft class has hurt this team down the stretch. People can stroke Kwesi all they want, but the fact is outside of adding Zadarius in free agency after he spurned the Ravens and trading for Hockenson mid season, he has done NOTHING in the way of adding impact and/or depth to this roster. Hicks and Phillips have made little impact on a defense that currently ranks 31st in total defense. 
Kwesi has a lot to prove this offseason 

I’m not convinced that we have a Thielen problem as much as
we have a coaching/Cousins problem.  I
think schematically on offense, we have one thing we do well, and we do it
really well, but we don’t really have a resilient offense.  We don’t have other options to try when the
defense takes things away or if we have to work within the limitations of
injuries.  I think by now, we should have
clearly defined what our counterplan is for the handful of strategies teams
tried for neutralizing Jefferson.  By
now, we should have developed a competent rushing attack.  One that we can use to kickstart the offense
if the passing game is struggling.  We
pass to setup the run, and that’s fine, but ideally you should be equally adept
at running to setup the pass as well.  I
think the first thing I would try with teams that are going to bracket
Jefferson, is that I would switch Jefferson and KJ’s role.  If the offense is designed to maximize one
players production, and the defense is countering that by bracketing/following
Jefferson, see if you can open things up by getting defenses to commit a ton of
resources to the 3rd or 4th option on the play.  Now you have their 3rd best CB covering
the primary option on the play.  I’m not
saying we should abandon running inside, but we should clearly prioritize
running outside.  I think I would like to
see some packages where we go heavy and try to assert our will physically on a
team.  Not that it would be our mainstay
or anything, but it’s just so outside what we normally do that it could make defenses
have to think more about how to defend us. 
I’d also like to see us have a better quick passing game, where instead
of having plays that designed to maximize Jeffersons production, the focus
would be on finding the best matchup presnap and getting them the ball.