Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blitz Rate
The Blitz Rate in the second half more than doubled what it was in the first. 

The results on the pressure it created were pretty obvious. I hope KOC forces
Donatell's hand moving forward to make that a consistent strategy for the rest of
the year and playoffs. 

They don't have any other choice this year: they need to blitz. Yep, its going to open up some risk, but otherwise teams will move up and down the field at will. Hopefully, the team will continue to get healthier and more aggressive defensively and that will be the playoff mindset. 

Die by the blitz or die slowly with soft shell coverage. 

Either way you cant make much more than chicken shit with this defense this year, but I'd choose dying quickly if they left it up to me. 

At least with a blitz you have a chance at putting their QB on his ass and make him think about that possibility every snap instead of sitting back there like he's in his living room as safe and comfortable as could be.  The blitz design needs a lot of work though,   pretty obvious whose coming pre snap on most of them.

Not blitzing can actually hurt the pass coverage more than help it as it leaves more time that the DBs and LBs have to cover the receivers which has been one of the things that has been really hurting our DBs.  It almost impossible to cover a WR with unlimited time to throw the ball, combine that with not playing the secondary so far back and not jamming WRs at the line he is putting the defense in an no win situation.  

All you guys are right…!!!  B) 

Blitzing is one of those things where it can be very effective when it's done right. You can't blitz at an abnormally high rate all game, every game or opposing OCs will adjust.  And against certain QBs like Josh Allen and Mahomes who can avoid the rush and extend plays, you probably don't want to blitz them a lot.  But against QBs like Matt Ryan and Jared Goff...  I'd be sending extra rushers at them off and on all game since they crumble under pressure.  Hopefully we mix up our defensive scheme in the final month here, it's our biggest liability at this point.  Like I love what this defense did in the 2nd half on Saturday, but they've gotta start playing full games.  We can't count on the offense putting up 30+ pts on the playoffs against better teams and defenses.  Donatell better figure this out quick cuz we have enough talent to be better than what we've been so far.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
  Donatell better figure this out quick cuz we have enough talent to be better than what we've been so far.
Agreed. I just don't know if it can change much this year. The only way would be to be far more aggressive for most of the game defensively. I mean, a real choice to change the defensive gameplan.