Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our LB’s and safeties are a huge issue
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Vikings are 9-2 with arguably the NFL's worst defense. That's worrisome. But it also shows that being more aggressive situationally and making plays in the clutch is more important in today's NFL. 
There might be some situational method to Donatell's madness. A lot of people watched us successfully blitz Jones late in the Patriots game and wondered why we didn't do it
 more earlier. I think the reason it was so successful late was precisely because we didn't do it earlier. 

We had zero quarterback hits going into the 4th quarter and we were letting Mac Jones and an absolutely inept Patriots offense pile up yardage like they were the '99 Rams. There's no way that was being done "to not tip our hand" for something later in the game. Donnatell has been awful all year long. 
It should be obvious to everyone that you don't want your defense giving up long pass plays to Mac fucking Jones. But there are two ways to play defense, you challenge the QB with pressure or you challenge him with coverage. You can't do both unless you can get pressure without bringing extra. I think that's what Donatell was trying to do early considering the injuries along with Pats OL. Which IMO gives far more credit to Jones than he probably deserves, since the basic idea is that you blitz young QBs and you don't blitz veterans.  

Two things to keep in mind. 1. Every deep pass play completed by Jones was either on 1st or 2nd down. 2. Vikings rank dead last in the NFL in defense. But rank 4th in the NFL in 4th quarter defense. That's a pretty remarkable difference, wouldn't you say? I think there might be more going on here than meets the eye.  

The only thing I know for sure is that if fans ran NFL teams, every offensive play would be a pass and every defensive play a blitz. LOL.

Playing the soft shell zone is fine, but you have to generate a pass rush, especially when your corners are playing with 10-15 yard cushions. That is where I'm frustrated. I think they are playing with those cushions because we are not getting pressure on the QB and don't want to give up a huge play. Instead, we are getting chunked to death with routine 10-20 yard gains until the field shortens up towards the Red Zone. The Patriots had to start a questionable left tackle due to injury and we really didn't get home until the 4th quarter. That I don't understand. Hunter once again looked completely lost and disinterested for the first 3 quarters. 

If we sum it all up:

Za'Darius has been playing on one leg for we dont know how many games now
You got guys off the street name Shelly playing DB (he's held up well too!)
Little to no contribution from the draft
DH has been ineffective most of the year
Tomlinson has been hurt
Phillips has been a nice pick-up but isnt a 3 down guy and cant rush the passer
Kendricks is ill suited to the scheme and older
Hicks is just ok as a player

It's a wonder we're 9/2; its gotta be the outcome of a great offense + great situational football (as @MB points out)

This doesnt bode well for getting to a SB, but they can win a post-season game or two. 

Next off-season has got to be about extending JJ and getting some better players for this scheme on the D side of the ball

I have no idea what KOC/KAM think about our DC

Agree with everything here except for the Hunter comment. He's having one of his best seasons. More to defense than sack totals guys. 

Fingers crossed some guys come back this Sunday.