Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our LB’s and safeties are a huge issue
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@1VikesFan said:
I really believe KOC needs to move on from Donatell this off-season. 
Or do we need to find players that fit the scheme?  Not saying the DC isn't the problem,  but as somebody said a 34D is better suited for today's game so is it the players or the scheme?
I don't agree that it's necessarily better suited for today's NFL game. A lot of the top defenses in the league still roll out a 4-3 including San Francisco, Buffalo, Washington, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Jets, etc. Dallas runs a true variety and takes advantage of matchups. I pretty much hate everything about what we do defensively. 
Well there's a lot to hate.

Bring in Fangio this offsesason, doubt he gets another HC job…

Quote: @RS Express said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@1VikesFan said:
I really believe KOC needs to move on from Donatell this off-season. 
Or do we need to find players that fit the scheme?  Not saying the DC isn't the problem,  but as somebody said a 34D is better suited for today's game so is it the players or the scheme?
This.  I've loved Kendricks over the years but a 3-4 ILB has to have serious range because the OLB's are usually pass rushing.  Kendricks knows what he should be doing IMO, but his legs can't physically do what his brain is telling him.  Hicks is much the same.  

Hopefully getting Dantzler, Evans and Tomlinson back will help going forward.
And more Asamoha. I'm not seeing any snaps for him on defense at all. Just Special Teams. 

I think it is more DT and LB, and next offseason will be huge. Need to be able to find some guys coming off 1st contracts that may be ascending.

Vikings are 9-2 with arguably the NFL's worst defense. That's worrisome. But it also shows that being more aggressive situationally and making plays in the clutch is more important in today's NFL. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Vikings are 9-2 with arguably the NFL's worst defense. That's worrisome. But it also shows that being more aggressive situationally and making plays in the clutch is more important in today's NFL. 
There might be some situational method to Donatell's madness. A lot of people watched us successfully blitz Jones late in the Patriots game and wondered why we didn't do it more earlier. I think the reason it was so successful late was precisely because we didn't do it earlier. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
There might be some situational method to Donatell's madness. A lot of people watched us successfully blitz Jones late in the Patriots game and wondered why we didn't do it more earlier. I think the reason it was so successful late was precisely because we didn't do it earlier. 

One of those..."Hell, I didn't see that coming".

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
There might be some situational method to Donatell's madness. A lot of people watched us successfully blitz Jones late in the Patriots game and wondered why we didn't do it
 more earlier. I think the reason it was so successful late was precisely because we didn't do it earlier. 

We had zero quarterback hits going into the 4th quarter and we were letting Mac Jones and an absolutely inept Patriots offense pile up yardage like they were the '99 Rams. There's no way that was being done "to not tip our hand" for something later in the game. Donnatell has been awful all year long. 

@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
There might be some situational method to Donatell's madness. A lot of people watched us successfully blitz Jones late in the Patriots game and wondered why we didn't do it
 more earlier. I think the reason it was so successful late was precisely because we didn't do it earlier. 

We had zero quarterback hits going into the 4th quarter and we were letting Mac Jones and an absolutely inept Patriots offense pile up yardage like they were the '99 Rams. There's no way that was being done "to not tip our hand" for something later in the game. Donnatell has been awful all year long. 
Yep, I am definitely on the Donatell must go bandwagon.

@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

It should be obvious to everyone that you don't want your defense giving up long pass plays to Mac fucking Jones. But there are two ways to play defense, you challenge the QB with pressure or you challenge him with coverage. You can't do both unless you can get pressure without bringing extra. I think that's what Donatell was trying to do early considering the injuries along with Pats OL. Which IMO gives far more credit to Jones than he probably deserves, since the basic idea is that you blitz young QBs and you don't blitz veterans.  

Two things to keep in mind. 1. Every deep pass play completed by Jones was either on 1st or 2nd down. 2. Vikings rank dead last in the NFL in defense. But rank 4th in the NFL in 4th quarter defense. That's a pretty remarkable difference, wouldn't you say? I think there might be more going on here than meets the eye.  

The only thing I know for sure is that if fans ran NFL teams, every offensive play would be a pass and every defensive play a blitz. LOL.