Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our LB’s and safeties are a huge issue
My biggest confusion regarding this defense is why do they almost always play better late in games? Why can't they play like that all the time?

Quote: @JR44 said:
The great coaches coach to the talent of the team, the less talented ones know one system and that is all they stick with.  The defensive talent on this team is not built for a 3-4, it is not even close, we don't have the big NT that you need and we do not have one 3-4 DE, Hunter is built for a 4-3 as is our LBs.  This DC has continued to force a square peg into a round hole all year and it is not working.  Mac Jones hasn't thrown for that many yards since pee wee football!
Completely agree, but I knew when we were hiring Donnatell and shifting to a 3-4 that there would be major growing pains because you need specific personnel to run it successfully and I never thought he was a good hire. I thought he was a shit defensive coordinator in Green Bay and was given way too much credit in Denver where Fangio ran that defense. He is the Nathaniel Hackett of defensive coordinators. Thusfar I've seen a defense that can only win when the opposing offense is making mistakes. We can't collapse the pocket. The blitz packages, which is supposed to be a major advantage in switching to a 3-4 has been largely non existent. Kendriks and Hunter both have been dimimished by switching to a 3-4 due to the scheme not suiting their skill sets. The soft shell zone coverage makes average QB's look like all-pros just like we saw again last night with Mac Jones. It's literally pitch and catch with receivers running to open holes in the zone and quarterbacks delivering the ball from clean pockets. No adjustments, no changing fronts, no nothing. The two things that are going to derail this season for us is this new scheme on defense and Kwesi completely blowing the draft where we have gotten virtually zero contributions from any of the rookie class

I really believe KOC needs to move on from Donatell this off-season. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
We have way to many wide open receivers running intermediate and even long routes. 

our inside LB’s are not closing/ filling gaps in the run game. We need a stud Mike for this D. Kendriks and Hicks play the same position 
Yes, the ILBs are the flashing red light to me.

Kendricks is the biggest villain IMO. I've been a Kendricks fan for years, but I don't think he's suited particularly well for this defense. He's not big enough to cover for the lack of an anchor at nose. And he appears to have lost a step in coverage. Hicks is just a guy. He flashes, but has been largely inconsistent. 
I think the injuries at DB hurt more than any of this.  But yes, EK is not suited for 3-4 and Hicks was a cheap free agent for a reason.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
We have way to many wide open receivers running intermediate and even long routes. 

our inside LB’s are not closing/ filling gaps in the run game. We need a stud Mike for this D. Kendriks and Hicks play the same position 
Yes, the ILBs are the flashing red light to me.

Kendricks is the biggest villain IMO. I've been a Kendricks fan for years, but I don't think he's suited particularly well for this defense. He's not big enough to cover for the lack of an anchor at nose. And he appears to have lost a step in coverage. Hicks is just a guy. He flashes, but has been largely inconsistent. 
I think the injuries at DB hurt more than any of this.  But yes, EK is not suited for 3-4 and Hicks was a cheap free agent for a reason.
Tomlinson missing hurts too

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Or do we need to find players that fit the scheme?  Not saying the DC isn't the problem,  but as somebody said a 34D is better suited for today's game so is it the players or the scheme?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@1VikesFan said:
Or do we need to find players that fit the scheme?  Not saying the DC isn't the problem,  but as somebody said a 34D is better suited for today's game so is it the players or the scheme?
Could be player related but I don't think I have seen too many 3-4 defenses softer than this one. I am not a Donatell fan and haven't been for some time. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
The great coaches coach to the talent of the team, the less talented ones know one system and that is all they stick with.  The defensive talent on this team is not built for a 3-4, it is not even close, we don't have the big NT that you need and we do not have one 3-4 DE, Hunter is built for a 4-3 as is our LBs.  This DC has continued to force a square peg into a round hole all year and it is not working.  Mac Jones hasn't thrown for that many yards since pee wee football!
Lol, loved the pee wee football comment, most likely very true!

@1VikesFan said:
This.  I've loved Kendricks over the years but a 3-4 ILB has to have serious range because the OLB's are usually pass rushing.  Kendricks knows what he should be doing IMO, but his legs can't physically do what his brain is telling him.  Hicks is much the same.  

Hopefully getting Dantzler, Evans and Tomlinson back will help going forward.

@1VikesFan said:
I don't agree that it's necessarily better suited for today's NFL game. A lot of the top defenses in the league still roll out a 4-3 including San Francisco, Buffalo, Washington, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Jets, etc. Dallas runs a true variety and takes advantage of matchups. I pretty much hate everything about what we do defensively.