Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darrisaw having a rare bad game
Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@SFVikeFan said:
Bad news for Darrisaw.  He'll miss a few games now, maybe more IMO.  
I just hope he will be ok. My niece got a concussion playing hockey and she has had major issues since. 
I had 3 in high school, 3 more in college and another in my 20s, each one progressively worse.  Last concussion I had kept me bed-ridden for 2 weeks, my handwriting even changed.  I'm probably a poster child for CTE.

You could tell he was not 100%  out there, he got walked back on every pass drop.  
Dang man, sorry to hear. I hope you’re able to live a long and healthy life.

We knew a fighter pilot. The G force changes he experienced throughout his life caused symptoms of CTE although he was never diagnosed. 

Do we know if this was a new concussion or symptoms he was feeling from the previous one? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Do we know if this was a new concussion or symptoms he was feeling from the previous one? 
if he was still feeling/showing symptoms and was allowed to play... somebody should/will be looking for a new job today.   especially after that tua mess from earlier this year.

Will be interesting to see how the NFL handles this, the Dolphins were held under the microscope for the way they handled Tua and the Vikes should be too for this situation.  This seems potentially even worse than the Tua situation, a player that was in such bad shape he couldn't even make it through a hand full of plays.  Do not see any justification on how he was out not the field.  Evans was held out, did Darrisaw's importance to the team effect his status - sure seems so.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
Will be interesting to see how the NFL handles this, the Dolphins were held under the microscope for the way they handled Tua and the Vikes should be too for this situation.  This seems potentially even worse than the Tua situation, a player that was in such bad shape he couldn't even make it through a hand full of plays.  Do not see any justification on how he was out not the field.  Evans was held out, did Darrisaw's importance to the team effect his status - sure seems so.  
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet. There is a protocol and CD was cleared by the independent doctor.

Tua was different in that he stumbled around, had to be held up, showing clear signs of head trauma. Then what was labeled a "head injury" by the team was changed to "back injury" and he went back in the game. We haven't heard the end of that one. 

I do think we're headed for much more restrictive concussion protocols. 

The Purple FTW guy suggested we put Cleveland at LT and Schlottmann in at LG this week. Something to consider maybe, but I'm not sure downgrading two positions is the answer. I think I'd just run a lot of 12 personnel, keeping a TE on Brandel's side to help out. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
The Purple FTW guy suggested we put Cleveland at LT and Schlottmann in at LG this week. Something to consider maybe, but I'm not sure downgrading two positions is the answer. I think I'd just run a lot of 12 personnel, keeping a TE on Brandel's side to help out. 
That's where my vote would fall too MB...

Hopefully a couple weeks of not getting his noggin beat on will help him get back to 100%

He's such a stalwart already, they need to handle with care. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
That's where my vote would fall too MB...

Hopefully a couple weeks of not getting his noggin beat on will help him get back to 100%

He's such a stalwart already, they need to handle with care. 

Yes, they do. Last week he was the highest graded LT in football. In only his 2nd season! He can go on to play for 10 years at an All Pro level, or he could go down a bad road with a series of concussions and retire early. I'd rather lose the rest of our games than have Darrisaw take the 2nd road. They need to be careful with that. 

It also might be time to start looking at pass rushers coming in helmet to helmet. 

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@SFVikeFan said:
I just hope he will be ok. My niece got a concussion playing hockey and she has had major issues since. 
I had 3 in high school, 3 more in college and another in my 20s, each one progressively worse.  Last concussion I had kept me bed-ridden for 2 weeks, my handwriting even changed.  I'm probably a poster child for CTE.

You could tell he was not 100%  out there, he got walked back on every pass drop.  

The Protocol needs to change, Darrisaw  should not have been playing last Sunday.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
@SFVikeFan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@SFVikeFan said:

The Protocol needs to change, Darrisaw  should not have been playing last Sunday.

how though?  from what I undestand you cant detect a concussion with any medical equipment,  if they are passing all the tests then at what point do you say they are clear to play?  not all concussions are the same and many would have been fine to play a week later,  just like not all concussions show symptoms immediately after impact,  how do you address those?  I applaud the league for trying to improve player safety,  but at some point you have to acknowledge that its a violent game and unless you want to really change the game, that some of these things are unavoidable.

I already think they are taking things to far with the "head and neck area" bull shit they call on the defenders when its often the offensive player that creates the offending collision when they lower their head/shoulders.

one thing that runs me nuts is why is it illegal for linemen to make contact with an opponents facemask,  but a ball carrier can stiff arm the shit out of the defenders faces at will?  last night I sawa niner player as he was running out of bounds,  and the defender was holding up letting him go out without getting hit, the niner ( i think it was deebo) jacked the defender in the face with a last second stiff arm,  cheap shit that should have drawn a flag.