Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: I want to get behind the USMNT in the World Cup.....
....I really do. But they always underwhelm or underperform. A tie with Wales?? JC. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/match/_/gameId/633787

Guys kicking a ball back and forth for twenty minutes then someone finally gets a shot on goal... I can't sustain interest.  I think the last time I enjoyed soccer was at a Minnesota Kicks game in the 70s.  They kinda had a fun vibe going back then.

Quote: @comet52 said:
Guys kicking a ball back and forth for twenty minutes then someone finally gets a shot on goal... I can't sustain interest.  I think the last time I enjoyed soccer was at a Minnesota Kicks game in the 70s.  They kinda had a fun vibe going back then.
Totally agree. The only time I have even remote interest in soccer is the World Cup and only if the U.S. is in it. Kind of a patriotic thing. 

I have tried (numerous times) to enjoy the game for a long period of time and just can't. 

I can understand why it's called the most beautiful game in the world, just not my jam. 

World Cup, most of the Olympics... meh. Happy for those who get into it and I do get the patriotic aspect. I like to hear that USA does well in these events but if it's not a sport I care to follow or watch normally, I don't really care about it for 2 weeks every 4 years either.

IMO the best part of the world cup are the pics of their WAGS,  just like golfers... those little guys get some very beautiful women.

as far as soccer... never got it,  IMO the interest in soccer wanes as their talent level grows,  I can watch my little nieces and nephew play for quite a while,  but put on the pros and I lose interest in ferrari type speed.

Fuck the World Cup.  FIFA is corrupt.  Qatar is futuristic city living in the societal Stone Ages, who built $200Billion of infrastructure with modern day slavery.  

I wish this country, our corporations would grow some balls and boycott this garbage.

Soccer, which the rest of the world mistakenly calls “football,” is a game created in England in the Middle Ages, centuries before the invention of fun. It was viewed by commoners as an alternative way to be bored, and often involved large groups of people kicking around whatever kickable thing they had on hand and generally beating the snot out of each other.
Over time, the game evolved into something less interesting. Two teams would kick a ball back and forth across a large field and, without using their hands, see who could score the least.
This odd game became wildly popular in non-American parts of the world, eventually resulting in a global tournament called the World Cup, first played in 1930 in Uruguay, which, like Wales, I’m not entirely convinced is a real country. For soccer fans, the tournament is like if Christmas and the Super Bowl had a baby. For everyone else, it’s like watching a sports video game being played by two people who aren’t very good at it.
Why aren’t Americans as into soccer as the rest of the world?In America, soccer is best known as “that thing you take your kid to on weekends and pretend to understand” or “the option we chose because it seems to involve fewer head injuries.”
Viewed by many Americans as a sport that makes golf seem exhilarating, soccer has grown in popularity here, but it remains a distant cousin to football, baseball and basketball.
Part of the problem is when an American says “soccer,” people from other parts of the world snicker and say, “You mean football?” They call soccer “football” and claim it was created before American football, which is technically true, but we Americans are not about to be corrected by a bunch of historically accurate foreigners.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2022/11/21/world-cup-qatar-usa-wales-guide-how-to-watch/10751603002/

Probably get ridiculed here but I actually really like soccer. World Cup is the ultimate sports tournament in the world. Definitely watched by more people than the NFL Playoffs. 

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Probably get ridiculed here but I actually really like soccer. World Cup is the ultimate sports tournament in the world. Definitely watched by more people than the NFL Playoffs. 
in fairness its one of the only games played around the globe,  that has a "pro" level type event.  I would say that the olympics are likely a bigger global draw in terms of sports events.