Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our corners are not good
Another instance of Dantzler likely not being in the right spot in coverage, then jogging after the runner.

https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/...60741?s=20&t=ZK11sij9xOcVr4CFATRCsw

PP gets sucked inside in run defense.  Why?

Also 91 just got mauled on that edge.

https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/...92288?s=20&t=8YVlBvvU5T94tbm4EQK5Sg

I don't know if it's our corners not being good, or are they just following the game plan and losing something in the details? It's literally pitch and catch out there with zero resistance. Booth hopefully comes back soon but he was dinged up in college and now dinged up as a pro...so who knows on him. Right now this defense has given up a 69.4% percent completion percentage and is tied for the highest average yards per pass completion in the league. Donatell sucks and so does the 3-4 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I don't know if it's our corners not being good, or are they just following the game plan and losing something in the details? It's literally pitch and catch out there with zero resistance. Booth hopefully comes back soon but he was dinged up in college and now dinged up as a pro...so who knows on him. Right now this defense has given up a 69.4% percent completion percentage and is tied for the highest average yards per pass completion in the league. Donatell sucks and so does the 3-4
This is the second time Dantzler appears to be lost in coverage and then half-ass it in pursuit. I doubt Donatell suddenly lost his mind, but appears to be compensating for the fact that Dantzler sucks and PP is getting long in the tooth.

Quote: @greediron said:
@supafreak84 said:
This is the second time Dantzler appears to be lost in coverage and then half-ass it in pursuit. I doubt Donatell suddenly lost his mind, but appears to be compensating for the fact that Dantzler sucks and PP is getting long in the tooth.
It's a scheme issue. Was Dantzler supposed to peel off, cover Kendricks guy, and leave Hockenson wide open in the middle of the field? I don't think Dantzler is the shapest tool in the shed after witnessing the St Brown play last season, but I don't see this particular play being his fault. Also would it not have made more sense to have Kendricks covering Hockenson and Dantzler covering Josh Reynolds on that play? Kendricks against any wide receiver is a huge mismatch in favor of the offense and we saw that on this play. 

Another instance of Dantzler likely not being in the right spot in coverage, then jogging after the runner.

I remember this play well as I was most upset with Smith on the play as he completely takes himself out of the play, he needs to contain Goff and not allow him to roll out.  The ultimate blame goes on the DC, it was 4th and 2, how are the DBs playing 10 yards off the ball?!  And we have Bynum 15 yards back!  I have never seen anything like the schemes we are running, I just can't fault the defenders when they are playing in a defense that is built to lose. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@greediron said:
@supafreak84 said:
It's a scheme issue. Was Dantzler supposed to peel off, cover Kendricks guy, and leave Hockenson wide open in the middle of the field? I don't think Dantzler is the shapest tool in the shed after witnessing the St Brown play last season, but I don't see this particular play being his fault. Also would it not have made more sense to have Kendricks covering Hockenson and Dantzler covering Josh Reynolds on that play? Kendricks against any wide receiver is a huge mismatch in favor of the offense and we saw that on this play. 
Ah, Dantlzer is the CB, so will usually start on the outside right.  EK is in the middle as an LB and covers the slot crosser.  It looks like EK hands off the crosser and Dantzler looks confused.  The safety seems to be picking up Hockenson and EK goes to cover the QB.  Since 2 players are doing one thing and Dantzler is the one doing something else, I would wager Dantzler is wrong here.

Then he half asses it, expecting someone else to pick up his slack.

Quote: @JR44 said:
@greediron said:

I remember this play well as I was most upset with Smith on the play as he completely takes himself out of the play, he needs to contain Goff and not allow him to roll out.  The ultimate blame goes on the DC, it was 4th and 2, how are the DBs playing 10 yards off the ball?!  And we have Bynum 15 yards back!  I have never seen anything like the schemes we are running, I just can't fault the defenders when they are playing in a defense that is built to lose. 
Z almost gets a sack, forcing Goff to roll left.  Seems like a win.  Everyone is covered, except Dantzler's guy.  2 of the dbs are playing press.  

I agree that the soft shell is bad, but this wasn't the case here.  But the point is, this might be why Donatell has them playing soft.

@supafreak84 said:
@greediron said:
@supafreak84 said:
Ah, Dantlzer is the CB, so will usually start on the outside right.  EK is in the middle as an LB and covers the slot crosser.  It looks like EK hands off the crosser and Dantzler looks confused.  The safety seems to be picking up Hockenson and EK goes to cover the QB.  Since 2 players are doing one thing and Dantzler is the one doing something else, I would wager Dantzler is wrong here.

Then he half asses it, expecting someone else to pick up his slack.
I still think its a scheme issue and the talk was about all the great flexibility that moving to a 3-4 defense would allow us. If teams are able to create match up issues pre snap, such as Kendricks on a WR, then adjustments need to be made because we are going to lose that match up 9 times out of 10. If Dantzler peels off that leaves Hockenson wide open in the middle of the field with Montellus playing about 7 yards off him. Pitch and catch on 4th and 2. 

Really need to get Booth back and hope he gets it.