Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favre getting vilified....and well deserved
Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@savannahskol said:
@VikingOracle said:
The Epstein case is a good example.  In 2008, a US Attorney in the SD Florida entered into a plea agreement with Epstein that, subsequently, the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility described as exercised in "poor judgment."  Pursuant to that deal, Epstein served just 13 months of an 18-month sentence and was granted lenient work release privileges that allowed him to spend up to 16 hours a day, seven days a week at a West Palm Beach office building and his home on Palm Beach Island.  Moreover, and pertinent to your post above, this plea deal also conferred immunity in Florida to Epstein's alleged co-conspirators (personally, I have never seen a plea deal such as this).  Now, you would think the US Attorney who negotiated such a bad deal would not have much of a future.  Well, Trump nominated Alex Acosta, that US Attorney who showed poor judgment and gave immunity to "johns," as Secretary of Labor and he served for 2 years.  During this period, Acosta proposed cutting the funding of his department's International Labor Affairs Bureau from $68 million in 2018 to under $20 million in 2020. That agency combats human trafficking (including child sex trafficking) internationally.
Not a good example.  The only reason the media "hyper-focused" on Epstein...was because TRUMP. 
And, btw, lame shot at Trump/Acosta.  The local Palm Beach Dem prosecutor was MORE negligent, in spades. 

Actually, the additional facts you raised makes this an even better example -- the rich and powerful can get special treatment from both parties and the politicians, etc. that acquiesce/empower such behavior are not held accountable.

Thanks!  

But your examples were one-sided.  Trump-Acosta &  Trump-Hunter.  

Impress me, with another "opposite side" example!  Wink

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@VikingOracle said:
I think another good example is Duncan Hunter who was elected to 6 terms in Congress.  Before being elected for his 6th term (and winning his Republican primary), he was indicted for using campaign funds for personal use (including for a number of mistresses).  Ironically, he blamed his wife for any irregularities.  She pled guilty in June 2019.  They were both indicted in August of 2018.  He was re-elected in November.  He subsequently pled guilty and resigned.  Hunter was scheduled to report to the prison in January 2021.  However, on December 22, 2020, Trump pardoned Hunter.
Oy.  Another shot at Trump!  Favre's the "focus" here, bro.  

Funny, I thought the thread had evolved to discuss how best to clean up politics.  But, if you want to be the thread police, so be it.  I posted about Duncan Hunter as I think it is a good example of how the voters even reward bad behavior.  The Trump aspects is merely a side note about how someone who pledges to clean-up the swamp will pardon some of the swampiest behavior around.   To me, that is part of the problem -- politicians looking out for politicians instead of representing the people who elected them.

That, in fact, circles back to the Favre case.  Whenever there was a hint of fraud, the governor would fire someone to bury such accusations.

@VikingOracle said:
@savannahskol said:
@VikingOracle said:
The Epstein case is a good example.  In 2008, a US Attorney in the SD Florida entered into a plea agreement with Epstein that, subsequently, the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility described as exercised in "poor judgment."  Pursuant to that deal, Epstein served just 13 months of an 18-month sentence and was granted lenient work release privileges that allowed him to spend up to 16 hours a day, seven days a week at a West Palm Beach office building and his home on Palm Beach Island.  Moreover, and pertinent to your post above, this plea deal also conferred immunity in Florida to Epstein's alleged co-conspirators (personally, I have never seen a plea deal such as this).  Now, you would think the US Attorney who negotiated such a bad deal would not have much of a future.  Well, Trump nominated Alex Acosta, that US Attorney who showed poor judgment and gave immunity to "johns," as Secretary of Labor and he served for 2 years.  During this period, Acosta proposed cutting the funding of his department's International Labor Affairs Bureau from $68 million in 2018 to under $20 million in 2020. That agency combats human trafficking (including child sex trafficking) internationally.
Not a good example.  The only reason the media "hyper-focused" on Epstein...was because TRUMP. 
And, btw, lame shot at Trump/Acosta.  The local Palm Beach Dem prosecutor was MORE negligent, in spades. 

Actually, the additional facts you raised makes this an even better example -- the rich and powerful can get special treatment from both parties and the politicians, etc. that acquiesce/empower such behavior are not held accountable.

Thanks!  

But your examples were one-sided.  Trump-Acosta &  Trump-Hunter.  

Impress me, with another "opposite side" example!  Wink
I did agree with your additional facts about democrats screwing with Epstein prosecution -- I would think that is sufficient.  Also, I did not bring up Epstein; I merely explained why there were not other prosecutions of "Johns" and that the person who negotiated that outrageous plea deal was not immediately punished for it.  I brought up Hunter because it is fairly fresh and shows that voters largely don't care about the ethics of their elected officials.  Frankly, to give another example, Bob Menendez, IMHO, is a POS and should not have been re-elected but (thankfully) I don't live in NJ.

Voters need to remember the old computer adage -- garbage in, garbage out.  

Frankly, we need a constitutional amendment to curtail the pardon power.  While at it, limit members of Congress ability to trade in stocks.

@savannahskol said:
@VikingOracle said:
I think another good example is Duncan Hunter who was elected to 6 terms in Congress.  Before being elected for his 6th term (and winning his Republican primary), he was indicted for using campaign funds for personal use (including for a number of mistresses).  Ironically, he blamed his wife for any irregularities.  She pled guilty in June 2019.  They were both indicted in August of 2018.  He was re-elected in November.  He subsequently pled guilty and resigned.  Hunter was scheduled to report to the prison in January 2021.  However, on December 22, 2020, Trump pardoned Hunter.
Oy.  Another shot at Trump!  Favre's the "focus" here, bro.  

Funny, I thought the thread had evolved to discuss how best to clean up politics.

It did. 

But, if you want to be the thread police, so be it.  I posted about Duncan Hunter as I think it is a good example of how the voters even reward bad behavior. 

I have some solutions to voter "integrity"...I don't think you'll like them. Wink

The Trump aspects is merely a side note about how someone who pledges to clean-up the swamp will pardon some of the swampiest behavior around.   To me, that is part of the problem -- politicians looking out for politicians instead of representing the people who elected them.

"Side-note" aspects, all one-sided.  Merely.  **eye roll**

That, in fact, circles back to the Favre case.  Whenever there was a hint of fraud, the governor would fire someone to bury such accusations.

Rock on, VO!  Nothing personal!  Wink

Nothing personal here, either.  I enjoy listening to other perspectives.

BTW, nice choice of music.  My daughter, who is autistic, many years ago was asked to open for Lisa Loeb at an autism charity fundraiser.  She sang Halo.  

@savannahskol said:

Nothing personal here, either.  I enjoy listening to other perspectives.

BTW, nice choice of music.  My daughter, who is autistic, many years ago was asked to open for Lisa Loeb at an autism charity fundraiser.  She sang Halo.  
I remember.  PT days! 15 yrs ago!   You posted the vid, of that.  
I have an autistic son, 'bout the same age.  Your vid reduced me/wife to tears.  Beautiful rendition.   

Hope you/yours, are well.

If you still have it...post your daughter's "Halo".  

Can we move this to a different forum and get back to talking football here?

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Yea, Favre is a POS

And their are another handful of wealthy people who were in on the scheme as well.  Like the "non-profit" school that profited with huge salaries and the wrestler turned preacher (non-profit) who also made it a family affair.  

I think we need even more offsight over these "non-profit" tax free schemes that then use our tax dollars for self gain/enrichment.  

I have a problem with supposed religious organizations (money schemes) who had their hand out for PPP money that they don't ever have to pay back - self enrichment from a system they pay zero into.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@1VikesFan said:
Yea, Favre is a POS

And their are another handful of wealthy people who were in on the scheme as well.  Like the "non-profit" school that profited with huge salaries and the wrestler turned preacher (non-profit) who also made it a family affair.  

I think we need even more offsight over these "non-profit" tax free schemes that then use our tax dollars for self gain/enrichment.  

I have a problem with supposed religious organizations (money schemes) who had their hand out for PPP money that they don't ever have to pay back - self enrichment from a system they pay zero into.  

Why were any non profits eligible?  If you dont want to pay taxes,  you shouldn't benefit from the programs funded by taxes.  Thats the problem with our whole govt right now,  to many babies and not enough tits.