Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaire vs JJ matchup week 16?
Green Bay Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander said that not covering Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson was not his decision. It was the coaches' decision.
The Green Bay Packers opened up their 2022 season looking to show the NFL world that they can still contend for the Super Bowl, even though they had high-profile departures such as wide receiver Davante Adams and linebacker Za'Darius Smith. They faced the Minnesota Vikings in Week 1, but they were beaten 23-7, and watched wide receiver Justin Jefferson record nine receptions for 184 yards and two touchdowns.
The performance of Jefferson was notable, because Green Bay's top cornerback, Jaire Alexander, was not matching up with him. After the game, Alexander told The Athletic's Matt Schneidman and ESPN's Rob Demovsky that he was asking coaches to defend Jefferson, but said "it's about the team."
Quote:Jaire Alexander to me and @RobDemovsky postgame on coaches not having him shadow Justin Jefferson: "All week, (I was) asking for that matchup. But it ain't about me. It's about the team. It ain't about me. If it was my way, you know what I would be doing."
— Matt Schneidman (@mattschneidman) September 12, 2022
Jaire Alexander says decision not to cover Justin Jefferson was made by Packers coachesThat is certainly an interesting development as, usually, the top cornerback matches up with the top wide receiver.
On the day following the loss, Packers head coach Matt LaFleur spoke about now having Alexander matching up with Jefferson, saying that they would have to commit to man coverage. Meanwhile, Green Bay's defense plays primarily in zone coverage.
Quote:Matt LaFleur on not having Jaire Alexander follow Justin Jefferson, says it's an easy proposition if you want to change the whole structure of the defense.
"You would have to commit to man coverage. I don't know how else you would get it done."
— Matt Schneidman (@mattschneidman) September 12, 2022
Quote:Why was Jaire Alexander not covering Justin Jefferson more?
Matt LaFleur reiterated that they're a zone defense and can't play man on every single snap, but certainly understands that they can take more of a look situationally. #Packers
— Lily Zhao (@LilySZhao) September 12, 2022

Jefferson made an impact from the jump, scoring a touchdown on the very first drive of the game. The majority of the damage Jefferson did happened in the first half, as he caught six passes for 158 yards and two touchdowns. Overall, Jefferson's nine receptions happened on 11 targets from Cousins.
The Packers wide receivers, meanwhile, had just 95 total receiving yards in the entire game.

Sounds like they had so much confidence in their secondary depth that zone would suffice against JJ. A colossal blunder. It's really hard to fathom when you think about it. Did they not know KOC was going to move JJ around in an attempt to take advantage of zone mismatches? 

He can get it week 16.  That's the beauty of this team, if he wants Jefferson, then the guy who usually owns his ass, Adam Thielen, can toast their other corner.

The offense will be designed in a way that gets Jefferson in the best matchups, play man and this team will find other ways to beat you.

Quote: @Skodin said:
He can get it week 16.  That's the beauty of this team, if he wants Jefferson, then the guy who usually owns his ass, Adam Thielen, can toast their other corner.

The offense will be designed in a way that gets Jefferson in the best matchups, play man and this team will find other ways to beat you.
Was thinking the same thing. Overload coverage to JJ, Adam, KJ & Dalvin will burn ya. 

Don't be surprised if  Philly rolls their coverage over to any side JJ is on.  Adam will feast on this.  Also, a strong run game will open a lot of passing routes.  Detroit almost beat them with this...

The Eagles are a talented team, its going to be a tough game on the road. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Sounds like they had so much confidence in their secondary depth that zone would suffice against JJ. A colossal blunder. It's really hard to fathom when you think about it. Did they not know KOC was going to move JJ around in an attempt to take advantage of zone mismatches? 
It isn't that hard to run a man-zone blend is it?  Maybe with all the movement?

One thing for sure, KOC is going to enjoy the first month or two until the film catches up to him.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
Don't be surprised if  Philly rolls their coverage over to any side JJ is on.  Adam will feast on this.  Also, a strong run game will open a lot of passing routes.  Detroit almost beat them with this...
Exactly, I expect that Adam, the TEs, and the running game will have a lot of opportunities here.  Getting Kirk on the bootlegs, layering the field with a TE crosser and a deeper Adam crosser.

The running game could have some good opportunities as well.  The Lions have a good OL and ran the ball well vs Philly.

Let's just get out of there with W.  I don't care how we take it, early season road win vs a potential division winner is gold in December and January

what makes Jaire think he can cover JJ…!??  B) 

You really can't cover JJ in man or press him. Hes too quick to press him and he will beat you in man and take it 60