Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your thoughts on the new 3-4 defense
Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
 over all I was impressed,  there are things to be potentially concerned with,  but all things considered I am good for now.  I thought Phillips played a pretty good game,  when I watched him he was getting doubled quite often and seemed to hold his ground pretty decent which is all we can ask for in those situations,  and when he wasnt doubled he seemed to be able to move his man and affect the play in some way.

plenty to be cleaned up,  but it was these guys first game action of the year as most didnt get preseason reps so.... lets see what we get Monday night.
Agree....Z got all the credit, but on that 4th down stop at the goal line, Phillips is the one who clogged the middle, along with Bullard. Interesting also what one of the announcers said about Donatell baiting Rodgers by showing zone, which prompted the run up the middle..into the jaws of the waiting defense who were actually in man. 
Cuz Z got on Dillon's legs and took away his feet.  Without that, Dillon probably would have kept his legs driving and found the crease.

Phillips did his job as well clogging that middle, but without that backside help, it is a TD.
Maybe, but I was thinking the opposite: without that wall in front of him, 250 lb AJ Dillon probably drags Z into the end zone. Not that it matters. It all worked well together. The disguise, the wall, and Z coming in from the edge. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Vikergirl said:
I remember there were some concerns that Harrison Smith lost a step but he definitely got it back yesterday. I loved seeing Hunter and Z. Smith get after it. Kendricks and Hicks is a good pairing. Kudos to Tomlinson as well. Philips is a grinder, just gritty. Peterson might be a concern at times. I am really interested to see what happens against Philly's Smith and A.J. Brown. I loved all the hugs and high fives. Kudos to Donatell as well.
Yes, guilty on that one. Not that I expected him to be bad, but his age, along with P2's age, was one of my concerns going into the season.

On a related note, I don't know that I've heard anyone mention the fact that I think all of those sacks were coverage sacks. Rodgers couldn't find anyone open. That's a good sign.
Or a sign that his WRs are garbage. We played a great overall game, but he has no one to throw the ball to. 

I am wortied about Petetson’s age. That might be an issue if he has to be on the field a bit. I liked the way we disguised what we were doing and I definitely think it got in Rodgers head more than a few times.

I thought the D played a really good game. I love how they move Z and Danielle around. I really think they had Rodgers overthinking quite often and the secondary really stepped up too. 

Tomlinson: Playing his first game at defensive end in the Vikings' new 3-4 scheme, Tomlinson was on the field for 39 of the Vikings' 61 defensive snaps, and provided a surprising pass rush contribution throughout the game. He had one of his three pressures on Za'Darius Smith's sack, and recovered Rodgers' fumble after Hunter and Hicks sandwiched the quarterback early in the third quarter
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-pack...600206172/

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@Mattyman said:
I think the Vikings will sign Suh this week.

The middle seem pass routes that killed  Zimmers 4-3, just  aren't there versus a 3-4.

It was weird to watch GB have to scheme and play call in a completely different way.

Vikings haven;t run a 3-4 since 1984? I liked it.

@ Philly next monday night will be telling of how improved this viking team actually is.
Sign Suh with what money?  The Vikings are almost right up against the cap...

Last I heard they had reached out to the Vikings vs the other way around...

I think Suh wanted like $8mm/year and the Vikings were offering vet minimum - that's a big gap. 

No way they were going to sign him week 1 as it would have meant a guaranteed salary. 

The way Donatell plays the game he is not going to allow much deep - that does tend to leave the flat open and the Pack took advantage of that - as did we with them. 

Game of chess for sure...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
 over all I was impressed,  there are things to be potentially concerned with,  but all things considered I am good for now.  I thought Phillips played a pretty good game,  when I watched him he was getting doubled quite often and seemed to hold his ground pretty decent which is all we can ask for in those situations,  and when he wasnt doubled he seemed to be able to move his man and affect the play in some way.

plenty to be cleaned up,  but it was these guys first game action of the year as most didnt get preseason reps so.... lets see what we get Monday night.
Agree....Z got all the credit, but on that 4th down stop at the goal line, Phillips is the one who clogged the middle, along with Bullard. Interesting also what one of the announcers said about Donatell baiting Rodgers by showing zone, which prompted the run up the middle..into the jaws of the waiting defense who were actually in man. 
Cuz Z got on Dillon's legs and took away his feet.  Without that, Dillon probably would have kept his legs driving and found the crease.

Phillips did his job as well clogging that middle, but without that backside help, it is a TD.
Maybe, but I was thinking the opposite: without that wall in front of him, 250 lb AJ Dillon probably drags Z into the end zone. Not that it matters. It all worked well together. The disguise, the wall, and Z coming in from the edge. 

Yes, everyone did their job.  But that doesn't generate the clicks of promoting Z going against his old team.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Tomlinson: Playing his first game at defensive end in the Vikings' new 3-4 scheme, Tomlinson was on the field for 39 of the Vikings' 61 defensive snaps, and provided a surprising pass rush contribution throughout the game. He had one of his three pressures on Za'Darius Smith's sack, and recovered Rodgers' fumble after Hunter and Hicks sandwiched the quarterback early in the third quarter
Someone needs to let the reporters know that Zimmer is not the coach anymore.  The CBs for the last 2 years were trash, so late in the halves when teams were throwing most every play, the defense sucked.

But enough about Zimmer, he is gone.  KOC started out on fire and set the tempo.  I think his offense surprised the packers for some reason.  They probably should have watched Rams' film from last year focusing on Kupp.  Their D seemed to settle in the second half and slowed the Vikings, but then their offense was too inept to mount any difference.

Quote: @greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:
Someone needs to let the reporters know that Zimmer is not the coach anymore.  The CBs for the last 2 years were trash, so late in the halves when teams were throwing most every play, the defense sucked.

But enough about Zimmer, he is gone.  KOC started out on fire and set the tempo.  I think his offense surprised the packers for some reason.  They probably should have watched Rams' film from last year focusing on Kupp.  Their D seemed to settle in the second half and slowed the Vikings, but then their offense was too inept to mount any difference.
Zimmer comparisons should pretty much run their course by Wednesday...

Eagles will be a tough, tough out on the road and on MNF. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:

Zimmer comparisons should pretty much run their course by Wednesday...

Eagles will be a tough, tough out on the road and on MNF. 
Saw they lost there DE to a torn ACL.