Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your thoughts on the new 3-4 defense
Some really great things on defense yesterday, I really liked the freedom that the defense gave Smith and Hunter as they were both disruptive most of the game.  I was most impressed with the secondary, high marks especially for Smith and Bynum, several times Rodgers escaped the pocket and stepped up which is how he has usually crushed us and even with all that extra time there was usually no one open.  Major props to Evans who came in and looked solid in coverage.  

My one concern is the DL, in watching other 3-4s we just don't seem to have the personnel upfront.  Phillips doesn't impress me as the ideal NT, Tomlinson seems to be a better fit to me there.  Was hoping to see Blacklock, but didn't notice him.  Still don't get the Watts move, he had two tackles for the Bears yesterday which was the same as all of our DEs combined.  DL seemed to have an impact on Kendricks who seemed to have a lot of traffic coming his way. Will be interesting to see how it progresses. 

I think it might be a little early to know for sure, but I think the team has designs on Blacklock helping them in the front 3 in place of Bullard....I believe he only played 10 plays (Blacklock)? And he got two pressures on those limited plays. He's going to play more as he gets up to speed. Green Bay is a good team, so its hard to know if some of the sporadic weak spots we saw were due to that or a bit of a weakness for the Vikings. I think Phillips played well. It seemed the Packers could run sometimes and that was concerning. They moved Hunter and Smith around a ton and it seemed Hunter went missing for stretches of plays. 

I do believe it will continue to get incrementally better as the season goes on. Bynum should get some credit also for that late 4th down breakup to the TE that Kendricks was covering. So agreed, it will be interesting to see how it progresses. 

over all I was impressed,  there are things to be potentially concerned with,  but all things considered I am good for now.  I thought Phillips played a pretty good game,  when I watched him he was getting doubled quite often and seemed to hold his ground pretty decent which is all we can ask for in those situations,  and when he wasnt doubled he seemed to be able to move his man and affect the play in some way.

plenty to be cleaned up,  but it was these guys first game action of the year as most didnt get preseason reps so.... lets see what we get Monday night.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
 over all I was impressed,  there are things to be potentially concerned with,  but all things considered I am good for now.  I thought Phillips played a pretty good game,  when I watched him he was getting doubled quite often and seemed to hold his ground pretty decent which is all we can ask for in those situations,  and when he wasnt doubled he seemed to be able to move his man and affect the play in some way.

plenty to be cleaned up,  but it was these guys first game action of the year as most didnt get preseason reps so.... lets see what we get Monday night.
Agree....Z got all the credit, but on that 4th down stop at the goal line, Phillips is the one who clogged the middle, along with Bullard. Interesting also what one of the announcers said about Donatell baiting Rodgers by showing zone, which prompted the run up the middle..into the jaws of the waiting defense who were actually in man. 

I remember there were some concerns that Harrison Smith lost a step but he definitely got it back yesterday. I loved seeing Hunter and Z. Smith get after it. Kendricks and Hicks is a good pairing. Kudos to Tomlinson as well. Philips is a grinder, just gritty. Peterson might be a concern at times. I am really interested to see what happens against Philly's Smith and A.J. Brown. I loved all the hugs and high fives. Kudos to Donatell as well.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I remember there were some concerns that Harrison Smith lost a step but he definitely got it back yesterday. I loved seeing Hunter and Z. Smith get after it. Kendricks and Hicks is a good pairing. Kudos to Tomlinson as well. Philips is a grinder, just gritty. Peterson might be a concern at times. I am really interested to see what happens against Philly's Smith and A.J. Brown. I loved all the hugs and high fives. Kudos to Donatell as well.
Yes, guilty on that one. Not that I expected him to be bad, but his age, along with P2's age, was one of my concerns going into the season.

On a related note, I don't know that I've heard anyone mention the fact that I think all of those sacks were coverage sacks. Rodgers couldn't find anyone open. That's a good sign.

I think the Vikings will sign Suh this week.

The middle seem pass routes that killed  Zimmers 4-3, just  aren't there versus a 3-4.

It was weird to watch GB have to scheme and play call in a completely different way.

Vikings haven;t run a 3-4 since 1984? I liked it.

@ Philly next monday night will be telling of how improved this viking team actually is.

Quote: @JR44 said:
Some really great things on defense yesterday, I really liked the freedom that the defense gave Smith and Hunter as they were both disruptive most of the game.  I was most impressed with the secondary, high marks especially for Smith and Bynum, several times Rodgers escaped the pocket and stepped up which is how he has usually crushed us and even with all that extra time there was usually no one open.  Major props to Evans who came in and looked solid in coverage.  

My one concern is the DL, in watching other 3-4s we just don't seem to have the personnel upfront.  Phillips doesn't impress me as the ideal NT, Tomlinson seems to be a better fit to me there.  Was hoping to see Blacklock, but didn't notice him.  Still don't get the Watts move, he had two tackles for the Bears yesterday which was the same as all of our DEs combined.  DL seemed to have an impact on Kendricks who seemed to have a lot of traffic coming his way. Will be interesting to see how it progresses. 
That is kind of the point of a 3-4.  You only have 3 big uglies up front mashing the blocking scheme.  That frees the 4 LBs to make plays.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Agree....Z got all the credit, but on that 4th down stop at the goal line, Phillips is the one who clogged the middle, along with Bullard. Interesting also what one of the announcers said about Donatell baiting Rodgers by showing zone, which prompted the run up the middle..into the jaws of the waiting defense who were actually in man. 
Cuz Z got on Dillon's legs and took away his feet.  Without that, Dillon probably would have kept his legs driving and found the crease.

Phillips did his job as well clogging that middle, but without that backside help, it is a TD.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
I think the Vikings will sign Suh this week.

The middle seem pass routes that killed  Zimmers 4-3, just  aren't there versus a 3-4.

It was weird to watch GB have to scheme and play call in a completely different way.

Vikings haven;t run a 3-4 since 1984? I liked it.

@ Philly next monday night will be telling of how improved this viking team actually is.
Sign Suh with what money?  The Vikings are almost right up against the cap...