Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick's Biggest Regret
The player Rick regrets cutting the most. As an aside, this is really weird. Is he trying to be a Youtuber? If so, it comes off better if you don't read your comments. 

https://twitter.com/Str8_Cash_Homey/stat...89121?s=20&t=GGycpwWoIlhahg7s0Fvm5A

Cutting Carlson was really a dumb move. Wonder how much Zimmer influenced this decision.

he cut a perennial pro bowler 2 games into his rookie season... that alone should keep rick from ever getting a gm job again.

Rick really screwed the pooch on that one...wait what?!?

What he oughta regret is being cowed into it by his knucklehead coach.  Rick wouldn't stand up to Zim's bullying and it cost him... along with his mostly pathetic drafting.

Yeah, if he is looking to be a YouTuber he's gotta work on his delivery...  Can't be flat like that, make it spicy lol

Quote: @comet52 said:
What he oughta regret is being cowed into it by his knucklehead coach.  Rick wouldn't stand up to Zim's bullying and it cost him... along with his mostly pathetic drafting.
Yep, that's exactly it. See below. Pretty easy to tell Zimmer was behind it.

Regarding "mostly pathetic drafting," that's just nonsense. The reason the Vikings are contenders this season, and chose not to rebuild, is not because of the players KAM brought it. It's because the core of a good team was already in place. A core built by Rick. It's because of drafting players like JJ, KJO, Dalvin, Irv, Darrisaw, Cleveland, O'Neill, Hunter, Kendricks, Dantzler, Bynum. Only two of those players were 1st rounders. KJO was a 5th, as was Diggs and Conklin. If that's "mostly pathetic drafting," I'll take another 10 years of it please. 

https://twitter.com/Str8_Cash_Homey/stat...45666?s=20&t=sBK3fEaG0FM9u0VqOoaTDw

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:

Regarding "mostly pathetic drafting," that's just nonsense. The reason the Vikings are contenders this season, and chose not to rebuild, is not because of the players KAM brought it. It's because the core of a good team was already in place. A core built by Rick. It's because of drafting players like JJ, KJO, Dalvin, Irv, Darrisaw, Cleveland, O'Neill, Hunter, Kendricks, Dantzler, Bynum. Only two of those players were 1st rounders. KJO was a 5th, as was Diggs and Conklin. If that's "mostly pathetic drafting," I'll take another 10 years of it please. 

Overall, Rick was a Top 10 drafting GM over his tenure.  Many later round gems found and he of course took more swings than most by accumulating picks which I am all for.  Some folks concentrate on all the misses or a cut like Carlson but then don't want to give credit for some nice finds.  I remember being a very early defender of the O'Neill pick and said he would be starting by the end of his rookie year and he was.  Love the Darrisaw pick of course.  The Hunter (3rd?? which is a small chance of finding a starter) Kendricks, Waynes, Diggs draft was probably his best draft ever and one of the better ones in the last decade for any team, especially if Hunter bounces back.  

Rick will have another GM job in short order unlike Zimmer who should never be a HC again.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:

Overall, Rick was a Top 10 drafting GM over his tenure.  Many later round gems found and he of course took more swings than most by accumulating picks which I am all for.  Some folks concentrate on all the misses or a cut like Carlson but then don't want to give credit for some nice finds.  I remember being a very early defender of the O'Neill pick and said he would be starting by the end of his rookie year and he was.  Love the Darrisaw pick of course.  The Hunter (3rd?? which is a small chance of finding a starter) Kendricks, Waynes, Diggs draft was probably his best draft ever and one of the better ones in the last decade for any team, especially if Hunter bounces back.  

Rick will have another GM job in short order unlike Zimmer who should never be a HC again.  
Rick seems to be a pussy though,  he should have stood up to Zimmer much earlier because if he had,  theres a good chance he would have been around to pick Zims replacement.  Ricks unwillingness to be the man is why he may not get another chance at GM again,   despite his above average skill at drafting.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:

Rick seems to be a pussy though,  he should have stood up to Zimmer much earlier because if he had,  theres a good chance he would have been around to pick Zims replacement.  Ricks unwillingness to be the man is why he may not get another chance at GM again,   despite his above average skill at drafting.
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:

Yea I actually thought Z would be gone and Rick would be kept on and that was what I predicted before last season even started and did a lot of polls on that.  It was 50/50 usually on rick staying if Z was gone - again that was before last season even started.

When we learned that Zimmer and Rick hadn't even been communicating for weeks maybe months well that is a death-knell.  How can you not communicate with your management team/HC?  I have been in situations as a Manager before with very tense communications and situations but they need to be addressed immediately.  Of course, I blame Zimmer because there was smoke for years coming from him but Rick hired him and should have had the balls to be direct with him and essentially put Zimmer in his place which was a very average HC.