Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brutally bad...

1. Alex Leatherwood had a miserable rookie season after the Las Vegas Raiders took him in the first round of the 2021 draft.
    The Alabama product started out the season at right tackle but was eventually kicked inside to guard. Regardless of position, he just wasn't ready to play as he gave up eight sacks, drew 14 penalties and earned a 45.0 grade from Pro Football Focus.
    There was reason to be hopeful he could figure things out in 2022 when the Raiders hired a new coaching staff that included offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo, who previously served in the same capacity with the New England Patriots.
    However, Leatherwood hasn't risen to the challenge.
    He's moved back out to tackle and has once again looked utterly lost on the edge. Most recently, he struggled in extended action against the Miami Dolphins in the Raiders' third preseason game. He gave up a sack on a speed rush from Porter Gustin in which he didn't even get his hands on the defensive end.
    With Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack and the Chargers up first on the schedule, there's no way Leatherwood can be on the line in Week 1.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1004...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

That's rough. And it can go like that with your top picks. Leatherwood seemed to me to be the last OT branch to grab before hitting the ground in round 1/early Round 2. Kind of like teams didn't hate the guy, but they weren't overjoyed about grabbing him either. 

Mayock and Gruden....the grift that keeps on giving. 

We knew it would be controversial,” Mayock said, via the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “We completely understand that.”
So why do it? Mayock said offensive line coach Tom Cable and head coach Jon Gruden were both high on Leatherwood, and the scouts were, too.
“Coach Cable has been all over him for months now,” Mayock said. “Gruden loved this guy. Our scouts loved this guy. And what I like is, when the second floor in our building, which is all the coaches, and the third floor, which is all the scouts, when we’re united on a conversation like Leatherwood, that makes me feel really good about the pick.”

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

We knew it would be controversial,” Mayock said, via the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “We completely understand that.”
So why do it? Mayock said offensive line coach Tom Cable and head coach Jon Gruden were both high on Leatherwood, and the scouts were, too.
“Coach Cable has been all over him for months now,” Mayock said. “Gruden loved this guy. Our scouts loved this guy. And what I like is, when the second floor in our building, which is all the coaches, and the third floor, which is all the scouts, when we’re united on a conversation like Leatherwood, that makes me feel really good about the pick.”
Wasn't Cable a head coach at one point.  Didn't know he was on Gruden's staff, but he seems like a perfect fit for the "full of sound and themselves and signifying nothing" staff.

The Raiders pick of Leather at 17 allowed Darrisaw to fall down into our laps at 23.  I wanted us to take Darrisaw at 14 so was more than thrilled we still got him thanks to the incompetency of the Raiders and "just lose baby" approach to the draft.  

It may be that they were both just high and Leatherwood seemed like a good idea at the time.  We all have been there, right? 

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1563...58883?s=20&t=34wwAkzHHpEskqN_SOUzUQ
God, do you know how shitty you must be to be given up on this quickly? He must not be trying and his attitude must be shit.