Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Todays CBS Mock 2/14

If they take a corner with the first pick every fan needs to revolt.  Defensive line, edge, and quarterback should be the pick in round 1 and not a corner.

The Vikings have burned so many high round picks on corners that haven't made their second contracts, while they have continued to patch edge and DL with mid-level FAs or late round picks. I don't see the point in spending another 1st on a CB without addressing the front 7. Even if we keep Hunter, the front 7 is still a much bigger need and the defensive needs are all dwarfed by QB.

I'd prefer to give the CBs we have time to develop and see what they can do with an actual pass rush in front of them.

If a CB is BPA then they should it. This is a different staff with different views so the frachises history shouldn’t matter.

We’ve certainly flopped on DL and QBs before so prior history shouldn’t dictate.

Imagine if we got a player half the quality of Sauce Gardner with him.   

The top 2 edges going 8 and 9 would cause some cursing in the Vikings draft room. The Vikings passing on JJ  for another CB will cause cursing in my living room.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
If a CB is BPA then they should it. This is a different staff with different views so the frachises history shouldn’t matter.

We’ve certainly flopped on DL and QBs before so prior history shouldn’t dictate.

Imagine if we got a player half the quality of Sauce Gardner with him.   
As frustrating as CB would be, you're right. If the pick is defense, especially at the opportunity cost of picking a QB, the player better be damn good. With or without Hunter we need impact players on defense desperately. Not just "solid", but a legit difference maker.

It would be frustrating and would just about kill our chances of getting a qbotf out of this draft. 

But damn, we could really use an up-grade there. Just not before an edge (especially if we lose Hunter).

With the Vikings luck? The top edges and top 4 qb's will be gone by 11

Oh and btw...

Last time the Vikings picked @ 11?

It was 2015 --- Trae Waynes. 

Before that it was Culpepper. 

Corner is probably 4th on my list after Edge, DT, and QB. But it is 4th. And depending on what the Vikings do in free agency, some of those other needs might fall. 

We'd need to sign Hunter AND Wonnum for Edge to be eliminated. Even then, I'd draft one over CB. Wonnum had a good year, but was this an outlier or a sign of things to come? Plus, the value at edge is super high where we pick. There are three stud edges who have solid value at 11.

We'd have to sign a 1st-tier DT for that position to be eliminated. And Cousins would have to sign a 3-year deal for that position to go. All of the above are very unlikely IMO. 

CB is a need. But there's enough youth in that room already. We're best served by signing a vet in FA. Ideally, one that can play outside & will allow us to move Murphy to the slot. We don't even need a Tier 1 guy like Snead or Jaylon Johnson. Just a vet who can still play.