Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As if we needed proof...
If you needed more proof that the Vikings are the unluckiest team in the NFL, here ya go. This has nothing to do with roster talent, system, coaching, injuries. It's just plain and simple bad luck. 

https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/153...10405?s=20&t=65T-UA-1diPwz1AA0g615A
https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/153...77217?s=20&t=65T-UA-1diPwz1AA0g615A

This is bias confirmation.  By the fact the Vikings always have the worst kicker, every other team will have better conversion rates.

I am kidding of course.  Partly.

What I find interesting in the two charts is I would expect more teams that play inside to be in the list.  Quick research says that kicking indoors does not give the kicker an advantage.  That said, I found an article that listed Chicago as one of the worse places to kick (no surprise for the Windy City) yet the field goal % against Chicago is #2.  I am guessing the variable to look at is average field goal distance (thus, the stats may show bend but don't break defenses).

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
What I find interesting in the two charts is I would expect more teams that play inside to be in the list.  Quick research says that kicking indoors does not give the kicker an advantage.  That said, I found an article that listed Chicago as one of the worse places to kick (no surprise for the Windy City) yet the field goal % against Chicago is #2.  I am guessing the variable to look at is average field goal distance (thus, the stats may show bend but don't break defenses).
I thought of the inside thing too, but there are 7 other teams who play inside and, as you mention, they don't appear to be a factor on these lists. But you might have a point on the bend-but-don't-break philosophy, since that has been the Vikings defensive MO for years. But it would only factor in if the Vikings' opponents tended to attempt closer-in field goals than everyone else, increasing their percentage. But I think I read something early last year that the Vikings were also the biggest victims of over-50 FGs. 

Meh, it's all just minutiae, but when you consider the Vikings are the only winning franchise without a Super Bowl, you sorta have to look to the gods, because it all fits together. 

XPs are what they are, but I think you'd want to see the distribution of FG distance for the FGs.  Defenses that stopped teams closer to midfield prior to the kick should have better percentages and defenses that stopped teams closer to the goalline should have worse percentages.  If someone was really serious about things, they could calculate the overall league percentage from each distance, and then the teams percentage from each distance and find the difference between the two.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
I thought of the inside thing too, but there are 7 other teams who play inside and, as you mention, they don't appear to be a factor on these lists. But you might have a point on the bend-but-don't-break philosophy, since that has been the Vikings defensive MO for years. But it would only factor in if the Vikings' opponents tended to attempt closer-in field goals than everyone else, increasing their percentage. But I think I read something early last year that the Vikings were also the biggest victims of over-50 FGs. 

Meh, it's all just minutiae, but when you consider the Vikings are the only winning franchise without a Super Bowl, you sorta have to look to the gods, because it all fits together. 

Just one year, that's all I ask for; ONE

[Image: 1522774222ac9ed841f01b9698c7bea82dc30de22a.jpg]

The only certainty with our Viking Nation brothers and sisters is.......pain. Sooner or later....pain.

[Image: GentleVariableApe-max-1mb.gif]

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The only certainty with our Viking Nation brothers and sisters is.......pain. Sooner or later....pain.
That is the truth, every time someone asks me why I am so negative when the game is on the line, I always tell them I have already seen how it will play out many times.  It is just amazing how some organizations always seem to find a way to win and some always create ways to lose.  I think the 98' championship game was the signature game for the franchise as it sums up everything that we have experienced in one game.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:

[Image: GentleVariableApe-max-1mb.gif]

You pity the fools…!?  Wink :p