Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking's Kris Boyd talks tight ends
Quote: @JR44 said:
I am sure it has never been a picnic in NE, but I have never heard any of their players complaining.  Tired of the whining, Boyd has always talked a bigger game than he has played.  This team had no leadership last year, played soft and with no passion or energy and seeing some of these quotes makes me feel it had a lot to do with mentality of several of the players.  
Question: every time a player either complains about the Zimmer regime or says its like a breath of fresh air, you defend Zimmer. Wouldn't the players know better?

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JR44 said:
I am sure it has never been a picnic in NE, but I have never heard any of their players complaining.  Tired of the whining, Boyd has always talked a bigger game than he has played.  This team had no leadership last year, played soft and with no passion or energy and seeing some of these quotes makes me feel it had a lot to do with mentality of several of the players.  
Question: every time a player either complains about the Zimmer regime or says its like a breath of fresh air, you defend Zimmer. Wouldn't the players know better?
I agree with you, but the question is which player's views are accurate?  In this day and age of spoiled, entitled players, I am not very quick to side with someone like Boyd who comes across pretty brash for someone who consistently gets beat on the field.  I am sure Zimmer was tough on him in practice and deservingly so.  How about the opinions of guys like Deon and Aikman who just gush over Zimmer and who are still very close to him.  They come from a different era of players who didn't expect to be catered to.  

If you were the coach of this team last year, how would you have been come Monday after watching your team underperform and give away a game.  I would expect any coach to come in with an edge.  Also, I am sure that that the vaccination thing also created a rift and I definitely side with Zimmer with that, it is not about politics, but doing all you can to put your team in position to win and as a coach I would personally have an issue with guys who put themselves ahead of the team.

Also, it is the negative opinions that the media has latched on to, but there are players who have had favorable things to say about Zimmer - 
Vikings safety Harrison Smith is among the group of guys who have loved their time spent working with Zimmer. Smith was recently on the “All Things Covered” podcast and he shared some of the things that have allowed Minnesota’s current head coach to succeed during his time in the league.
Quote:“He’s tough, he’s old school. Every now and then, he’ll be a little grouchy. But that’s kinda what’s made him so good as a [defensive backs] coach and a defensive coach. Zim doesn’t back down, even if he gets beat.” 

@StickyBun said:
@JR44 said:
I agree with you, but the question is which player's views are accurate?  In this day and age of spoiled, entitled players, I am not very quick to side with someone like Boyd who comes across pretty brash for someone who consistently gets beat on the field.  I am sure Zimmer was tough on him in practice and deservingly so.  How about the opinions of guys like Deon and Aikman who just gush over Zimmer and who are still very close to him.  They come from a different era of players who didn't expect to be catered to.  

If you were the coach of this team last year, how would you have been come Monday after watching your team underperform and give away a game.  I would expect any coach to come in with an edge.  Also, I am sure that that the vaccination thing also created a rift and I definitely side with Zimmer with that, it is not about politics, but doing all you can to put your team in position to win and as a coach I would personally have an issue with guys who put themselves ahead of the team.

Also, it is the negative opinions that the media has latched on to, but there are players who have had favorable things to say about Zimmer - 
Vikings safety Harrison Smith is among the group of guys who have loved their time spent working with Zimmer. Smith was recently on the “All Things Covered” podcast and he shared some of the things that have allowed Minnesota’s current head coach to succeed during his time in the league.
Quote:“He’s tough, he’s old school. Every now and then, he’ll be a little grouchy. But that’s kinda what’s made him so good as a [defensive backs] coach and a defensive coach. Zim doesn’t back down, even if he gets beat.” 
Fair enough, JR. Appreciate the response. 

@StickyBun said:
@JR44 said:

Zimmer earned a lot of respect from players and coaches as a DC.   Not so much as a HC.  Again, Peter Principle in that his ceiling was as a DC a few years ago but I also think that has passed him bye.  As a HC of a whole team (players/coaches, off, Def, ST), I don't think he earned a lot of respect and that Buddy Ryan defensive focus made him well, defensive Smile

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@AGRforever said:
@VikingOracle said:
With each player report, Zimmer's chance of returning to the NFL dims.  A lot of people thought he would land a DC job this year.
Between his bank account and girl friend….why would he want to get back in the game.  F it. He’s done enough 
Yes, I am sure Katarina is enjoying tooling around on a John Deere tractor in Kentucky right about now. 
You’re right if it isn’t red leave it in the shed