Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theilen says the air is fresher
I think if Spielman would have kept building a Zimmer style
roster, Zimmer probably could have kept churning out 8-10 win seasons every
year and it would have been less toxic (although not non-toxic).  I don’t think Zimmer has forgotten how to
coach defense, but I don’t think he’s well rounded enough to really take a team
to the SB unless he lucked into an elite QB as he’s not really balanced enough
as a HC and you can’t afford to lose your OC every year or two.

I like the Kwesi/KOC combo, but I can’t stand our fanbase
right now.  Odds are that Kwesi/KOC is
going to be somewhere in the worse than Spielman/Zimmer to about as good as
them range.  People that think any coach
is going to be better than Zimmer have no sense of perspective or are a little
spoiled and have forgotten history.  I
think people need to have some perspective that even in his worst years, Zimmer
churned out 7-9 seasons.  There’s a lot
of room for getting worse, but it was a necessary change that we had to make
and I think we’re going good things.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
Remember when a few here were clamoring that Zimmer should have been fired three years ago and were told they were crazy? I don't even care to look up the reasons they gave why we had to keep him. 
I've had a problem with Zimmer's game prep for at least 5 years. But in my mind, his liabilities didn't obviously outweigh his assets until last year. I say "obviously" with intention. Sure, there were signs (Rhodes, Diggs), but many of those players shared some blame as well. And if every coach were fired when I number of fans think he's clueless, every one of them would be out of a job. 

In my mind, last year was the first season where he couldn't seem to coach his way out of a paper bag in close games. Also, the extent to which the culture had soured wasn't fully known until after he was gone. The Wilves made the right decision and I'm happy he's gone. 
Yea you were one of the last ones to jump ship on Zimmer holding out until last year.  I thought his liabilities outweighed his assets about 3 years ago with his inability to get the whole team in sync and not just the defense. He was never a very good Head Coach. Not great in game management, not very good with coaches or players on the Offense and really just concentrated on his area of expertise - Defense.  He also had that lack of leadership/accountability that is necessary in a HC...he often threw players under the bus which is very immature.  He really should never have been anything but a DC.

Oh well, lets go KOC.

(I won't mention that I have also jumped off the KC bandwagon last year and you are a staunch supporter Smile  Hope I am wrong about KC unlike Zimmer!

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Lets put a string of wins together before we start fluffing KOC.

This is football, not a freshman mixer
Zim!?

Should've kept Zimmer and fired the rest of the team.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...f=1&nofb=1]

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:

Is that the time he blew out his eyeball ???

I have no inside info but I really feel Zimmer was despised by the players at the end

Quote: @medaille said:
I think if Spielman would have kept building a Zimmer style
roster, Zimmer probably could have kept churning out 8-10 win seasons every
year and it would have been less toxic (although not non-toxic).  I don’t think Zimmer has forgotten how to
coach defense, but I don’t think he’s well rounded enough to really take a team
to the SB unless he lucked into an elite QB as he’s not really balanced enough
as a HC and you can’t afford to lose your OC every year or two.

I like the Kwesi/KOC combo, but I can’t stand our fanbase
right now.  Odds are that Kwesi/KOC is
going to be somewhere in the worse than Spielman/Zimmer to about as good as
them range.  People that think any coach
is going to be better than Zimmer have no sense of perspective or are a little
spoiled and have forgotten history.  I
think people need to have some perspective that even in his worst years, Zimmer
churned out 7-9 seasons.  There’s a lot
of room for getting worse, but it was a necessary change that we had to make
and I think we’re going good things.
Well stated as usual Medaille.   Perhaps if Rick had invested more picks in the QB room they might have gotten there.  I think Teddy could have been that guy before the injury.   He had the mental make-up to play well under pressure and not make mistakes when they were winning.

The point about the OC was my biggest reason for agreeing that Zim needed to go.  It wasn't his fault, the NFL craves the next best OC to be head coaches, so any flicker of life and they got a new job.  I always wish Shurmur would have stayed.  He seemed to have it figured out.

And yes, Zimmer was a helluva lot better than many of his priors.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@PurpleCrush said:

Is that the time he blew out his eyeball ???
Not sure, but there's definitely some brain in that one.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Lets put a string of wins together before we start fluffing KOC.

This is football, not a freshman mixer
Oh no he gets the honeymoon period too. I remember being there for Zimmer's. I remember the speech at training camp about trying to bring a championship to Minnesota. I remember the purple kool-aid. I am going to give KAM and KOC that time as well except I am going to put vodka in the kool-aid.

[Image: 4002b4447914d1ccc6a3dfa7b6c05186.jpg]

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
Remember when a few here were clamoring that Zimmer should have been fired three years ago and were told they were crazy? I don't even care to look up the reasons they gave why we had to keep him. 
I've had a problem with Zimmer's game prep for at least 5 years. But in my mind, his liabilities didn't obviously outweigh his assets until last year. I say "obviously" with intention. Sure, there were signs (Rhodes, Diggs), but many of those players shared some blame as well. And if every coach were fired when I number of fans think he's clueless, every one of them would be out of a job. 

In my mind, last year was the first season where he couldn't seem to coach his way out of a paper bag in close games. Also, the extent to which the culture had soured wasn't fully known until after he was gone. The Wilves made the right decision and I'm happy he's gone. 
Yea you were one of the last ones to jump ship on Zimmer holding out until last year.  I thought his liabilities outweighed his assets about 3 years ago with his inability to get the whole team in sync and not just the defense. He was never a very good Head Coach. Not great in game management, not very good with coaches or players on the Offense and really just concentrated on his area of expertise - Defense.  He also had that lack of leadership/accountability that is necessary in a HC...he often threw players under the bus which is very immature.  He really should never have been anything but a DC.

Oh well, lets go KOC.

(I won't mention that I have also jumped off the KC bandwagon last year and you are a staunch supporter Smile  Hope I am wrong about KC unlike Zimmer!
I wouldn't have fired Zim any earlier than the Wilves did. Actually, I take that back. I may have fired him after that Detroit game, but certainly not before this season.

And yes, you're wrong about KC too. :-)