Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading a convicted arms dealer for a basketball player?
I've been hearing for a couple days that the state department is trying to get WNBA star Britt Griner released from Russia ( minor drug charges, trumped up 10 year possible sentence ),  in exchange the US is being rumored to be giving up a convicted international arms dealer who has been tied to arming terrorist cells.  Yesterday I also heard that the US is asking for a former marine being held on espionage charges ( likely CIA or other spy agency ) in addition to Griner.  

Sorry,  I dont see how we can do this.  That arms dealer can single handedly cause the deaths of thousands of innocent people ( he is no middle man,  they have made movies ( Lord of War ) about this guy ( Viktor Bout )  this dude is a huge threat and in no way should he be released.  as far as the marine,  I have to think he was a spook, and as such being captured is part of the risk he likely knew what he was taking by being in that game.

I read the comments after and article on this potential trade today and one commenter mentioned it being the worst trade since the Vikings traded for Walker...OUCH!!!

The Obama administration trade of five taliban Gitmo prisoners for deserter Bowe Bergdahl was worse than the proposed trade with Russia, IMO.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
The Obama trade of five taliban Gitmo prisoners for deserter Bowe Bergdahl was worse than the proposed trade with Russia, IMO.
well there is that,  however... how bad were those Gitmo prisoners?  I am betting that there were quite a few down there that likely werent deserving,  however, if they wanted them specific guys released you are likely right.   bad trade.  but still international arms dealer for a girl busted with hash oil residue in her vape pen.  If I am going to release a merchant of death,  I expect more than a sorority sister that made a minorly bad decision.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@IDVikingfan said:
The Obama trade of five taliban Gitmo prisoners for deserter Bowe Bergdahl was worse than the proposed trade with Russia, IMO.
well there is that,  however... how bad were those Gitmo prisoners?  I am betting that there were quite a few down there that likely werent deserving,  however, if they wanted them specific guys released you are likely right.   bad trade.  but still international arms dealer for a girl busted with hash oil residue in her vape pen.  If I am going to release a merchant of death,  I expect more than a sorority sister that made a minorly bad decision.
True, the public was not given any information about the Taliban prisoners that were exchanged.  It was my understanding that leadership types were the ones sent to Gitmo not rank and file.  We also were not told if the Taliban requested the ones that were released or if we made the choice.  I would guess the Taliban would be more interested in they could choose and if so, likely chose a higher value prisoner (valued leader) than a low value, low ranking prisoner. 

IMO, we traded the equivalent of five first rounders for an undrafted free agent...  A deserter provides low return to our country but leaders in the Taliban can choose to return to evil pursuits.

@JimmyinSD said:
@IDVikingfan said:
True, the public was not given any information about the Taliban prisoners that were exchanged.  It was my understanding that leadership types were the ones sent to Gitmo not rank and file.  We also were not told if the Taliban requested the ones that were released or if we made the choice.  I would guess the Taliban would be more interested in they could choose and if so, likely chose a higher value prisoner (valued leader) than a low value, low ranking prisoner. 

IMO, we traded the equivalent of five first rounders for an undrafted free agent...  A deserter provides low return to our country but leaders in the Taliban can choose to return to evil pursuits.
the fact that we actually negotiated the return of a deserter,  regardless of the compensation,  makes that a utter failure IMO.  fucker should have been left over there.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I've been hearing for a couple days that the state department is trying to get WNBA star Britt Griner released from Russia ( minor drug charges, trumped up 10 year possible sentence ),  in exchange the US is being rumored to be giving up a convicted international arms dealer who has been tied to arming terrorist cells.  Yesterday I also heard that the US is asking for a former marine being held on espionage charges ( likely CIA or other spy agency ) in addition to Griner.  

Sorry,  I dont see how we can do this.  That arms dealer can single handedly cause the deaths of thousands of innocent people ( he is no middle man,  they have made movies ( Lord of War ) about this guy ( Viktor Bout )  this dude is a huge threat and in no way should he be released.  as far as the marine,  I have to think he was a spook, and as such being captured is part of the risk he likely knew what he was taking by being in that game.

I read the comments after and article on this potential trade today and one commenter mentioned it being the worst trade since the Vikings traded for Walker...OUCH!!!

You obviously haven't been subjected to the horror that is the WNBA

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:

There would have to be thousands attending the games for that level of casualties....make it hundreds and we're in the realm..... :p

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:

There would have to be thousands attending the games for that level of casualties....make it hundreds and we're in the realm..... :p

Are we talking like Roller Derby/Hunger Games type sport?  Are are we going Colosseum/hungry lions style?

@JimmyinSD said:
@IDVikingfan said:

How would you like to be number 6 on that list of 5 lol?