Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meanwhile, from the media last week.....
  • Dallas is the best team in the NFC, no doubt about.......hold up......
  • Green Bay is playing so well behind Love they'll win the.........wait, hold on....
  • Buffalo is fading and a colossal bust of a .....hold up just a minute....
  • Trevor Lawrence is the next great.......well, hold on now....
  • Russ isn't washed, the Broncos are a great.....hmmmm
  • Brock Purdy is the problem in SF, he's.....well....
The ever-changing narratives of the media and fans, week to week. Bipolar as hell. 

The media is no different from many of the bi-polar Longship members (myself included).  Every player, coach, and GM seems to be as good as their last game; sometimes as good as their last play even. B)

Quote: @HappyViking said:
The media is no different from many of the bi-polar Longship members (myself included).  Every player, coach, and GM seems to be as good as their last game; sometimes as good as their last play even. B)
No doubt and but I think its a little different: in the media, its just what gets clicks. Whatever strong, hyperbolic opinions necessary. On the board, we are all too close to the trees. We micromanage the Vikings play by play. We're more relieved than happy over a win and harsh and hyper critical during losses. Probably the same on every fan board regardless of sport. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
I was just about to say that. Sure the media overreacts, but we all overreact. Because we watch the NFL, where narratives don't just flip week to week but quarter to quarter. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
No doubt and but I think its a little different: in the media, its just what gets clicks. Whatever strong, hyperbolic opinions necessary. On the board, we are all too close to the trees. We micromanage the Vikings play by play. We're more relieved than happy over a win and harsh and hyper critical during losses. Probably the same on every fan board regardless of sport. 
Not to mention that the media are paid professionals who are supposed to have inside knowledge, and should be able to back up their opinions with justifiable quantifiable facts that are built on more than feelings, anecdotes, or insinuation. Baseless expert bravado on an endless loop of sports talk, pre-game, halftime, post-game is un-listenable bullshit.  

I think Green Bay illustrates your point the best. We talked all season about Jordan Love and if the Packers would be in the hunt for a QB in the draft. The narrative was all over the map, especially on Twitter. He's crap. No, he's actually pretty good. No, he's really good. Best QB in the North. No wait, he's crap again. OK, he's not bad...I'm sure even the heads of the Packer decision-makers are spinning. 

This is why I hate categorizing QBs into tiers of elite, great, good, etc. Just depends on the week. Consistency over time is key. I've said this a hundred times, but I think to a GM, there are only three types of QB in the NFL:  those you can win with, those you need to replace, and those for whom it's too early to say for sure. Love is decidedly in the latter group.