Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose one or trade back?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@RS Express said:
If Hamilton is there I'm staying.  If he goes I'm listening to offers. There's not a lot of difference between #12 and, say, #22 in this draft.  If someone will throw me a 2nd and I can still get a McDuffie/Davis/Booth/Linderbaum instead of taking them at 12 then I'll take it.

Right.....but if the value is the same.....why would a team trade up?
Unless of course its for one of the QBs and/or we luck out.  To be a seller you have to have a buyer and if the quality of the prospect doesn't dip much I doubt you're going to see huge offers for a move up. 
Because drafting for BPA is largely a myth. Teams tend to draft for need, so if there's a player on the board at 12 that a lower team needs and/or loves--say one of the tackles falls, or there's a WR, or one of either Willis or Pickett is on the board, you can bet that our draft slot will generate interest. 

I like Stingley and McDuffie. I like Hamilton and Jermaine Johnson. But you could make an argument that a combo of, say, Booth and Cine, or Booth and Logan Hall, might be better value than any ONE of the above. Might.

Sure, as KAM says, you want elite players, but the draft is a crapshoot and half of all the first rounders will be disappointments. What's more, it's not unusual at all to see 2nd rounders play better than 1st rounders. So, with that in mind, I'm almost always for getting two rolls of the dice over one. 

Those are almost always the odds I like to play and also why I liked how Spelly moved around the board come draft day.  I know everyone is touting about Kwesi being an analytics guy over and over again, already.  But Spelly was no slouch with analytics which allowed us to find guys in the later rounds whose analytics/measurables were off the charts - even a guy like Hunter, who really didn't kill it in college.  But also guys like last year - Kene, Surrat and even projecting Bynum at Safety, Davidson (analytics).  The year before Dantzler in the 3rd and even Woonum.  A guy years ago that was all analytics was McKinnon.  Not all hits, of course, but the more chances based on analytics the more likely you are to hit on 3rd rounders and beyond (really any round) who have about a less than 10% chance of being 5 year starters never mind All Pro's like Hunter (3rd) and Diggs (5th) - best Spelly draft.  

@AGRforever said:
@RS Express said:
If Hamilton is there I'm staying.  If he goes I'm listening to offers. There's not a lot of difference between #12 and, say, #22 in this draft.  If someone will throw me a 2nd and I can still get a McDuffie/Davis/Booth/Linderbaum instead of taking them at 12 then I'll take it.

Unless of course its for one of the QBs and/or we luck out.  To be a seller you have to have a buyer and if the quality of the prospect doesn't dip much I doubt you're going to see huge offers for a move up. 
Because drafting for BPA is largely a myth. Teams tend to draft for need, so if there's a player on the board at 12 that a lower team needs and/or loves--say one of the tackles falls, or there's a WR, or one of either Willis or Pickett is on the board, you can bet that our draft slot will generate interest. 

I like Stingley and McDuffie. I like Hamilton and Jermaine Johnson. But you could make an argument that a combo of, say, Booth and Cine, or Booth and Logan Hall, might be better value than any ONE of the above. Might.

Sure, as KAM says, you want elite players, but the draft is a crapshoot and half of all the first rounders will be disappointments. What's more, it's not unusual at all to see 2nd rounders play better than 1st rounders. So, with that in mind, I'm almost always for getting two rolls of the dice over one. 
Or Booth and Boye Mafe...  I'd be down with that combo in a trade back scenario.

@AGRforever said:
@RS Express said:

What's more, it's not unusual at all to see 2nd rounders play better than 1st rounders. So, with that in mind, I'm almost always for getting two rolls of the dice over one - Also, because this is a deeper class for DB's, DE's, and WR's it allows us to have that one extra opportunity to get one of each in the first two rounds instead of 2/3. I think with a trade down we can certainly get a quality CB/DE in the first and then can get a good WR and CB/DE in the 2nd.

Is it next week already?

Desperate teams in need of a QB go to desperate measures every year.

I really think the Panthers are going to take Pickett at 6 followed by the Falcons taking Willis at 8.

We are going to be sitting at 12 with some top talent to choose from but I don't think Sauce or Sting will be there.

Decent chance Hamilton falls down to us - IMO.  

I also think all the WR's will be there at 12 with a team like KC (with pick 29 and 30th) willing to move up.  In other words I think we are going to be getting a ton of calls and if someone is willing to give us very favorable trade value.  

I keep going back and forth on picking Hamilton mostly because of his Safety position and our need is so much greater at other spots.  I do think Harry is in a slow decline and Bynum showed well but still unproven so there is a need but again at 12 for a Safety is a tough call for me.   

Peterson has been saying regularly in recent weeks on his “All Things Covered” podcast that the Vikings should try to land LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. in the first round of the April 28-30 NFL draft. “His talent is unmatched,” Peterson has said of Stingley.
Peterson said it would be a “steal” if the Vikings could land Stingley with their No. 12 pick. But he has acknowledged after Stingley’s strong April 6 pro day that they likely would need to trade up to get the former LSU star.

The Vikings are strongly considering taking a cornerback in the first round. Peterson, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection entering his 12th season, is likely to start at one outside spot but it’s up in the air who will hold down the other one. Cameron Dantzler, the leading current candidate, has been up and down in his two NFL seasons.
Most analysts rate Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner as the top cornerback in the draft, and he might not get past the New York Giants, who pick No. 7. And there has been recent speculation that Stingley might not get past Seattle at No. 9.
Stingley was perhaps the nation’s top cornerback as an LSU freshman in 2019, but he wasn’t the same player the next two seasons. He missed three games during the COVID-affected season of 2020 and then sat out the final nine games last year due to a Lisfranc fracture in his left foot.
“There had been a lot of speculation that Derek Stingley could be available (at No. 12), but I think that’s less likely now,” NFL Network draft analyst Charles Davis said. “He’s come back from his injury and he’s tested well and he was in shape. … I think he’s the best corner in the draft when he’s on his game.”
So if Gardner and Stingley are both gone when the Vikings pick in the first round, and they want a cornerback, where do they turn? Davis has them taking Washington’s Trent McDuffie in his mock draft.

“I like him a lot,” Davis said. “He’s got a toughness to him. … He can play the slot. He can play outside. I think he makes a lot of plays on balls in coverage.”
Opinions differ on McDuffie, who might be a player the Vikings could trade down and still get in the first round. One drawback on McDuffie is he’s 5-foot-10½.
Dane Brugler, draft analyst for The Athletic, has McDuffie rated ahead of the 6-foot Stingley and puts him as the No. 2 cornerback in the draft after the 6-2½ Gardner. But ESPN draft analyst Jordan Reid has McDuffie rated as the No. 4 cornerback, with Clemson’s 6-foot Andrew Booth being No. 3.
“I just like the length a little bit more,” Reid said of ranking Booth ahead of McDuffie. “McDuffie is a terrific prospect, but I just like the playmaking ability of Booth more than McDuffie.”
If both Gardner and Stingley are gone by No. 12, Reid said the Vikings should “trade back and accumulate some more picks” if they want a cornerback in the first round.
Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie and Booth could be the only cornerbacks taken in the first round. If the Vikings decide to take an edge rusher at No. 12, such as Eden Prairie native and Florida State star Jermaine Johnson II, they could look to take a cornerback in the second round.
Cornerbacks who could be available with Minnesota’s No. 46 pick include Florida’s Kaiir Elam, Washington’s Kyler Gordon, Auburn’s Roger McCreary, Nebraska’s Cam Taylor-Britt and Houston’s Marcus Jones.
Whichever well-regarded rookie cornerback the Vikings bring in, Davis figures Peterson would be a top-notch tutor.
“Whether it’s Stingley or someone else, Patrick is the ultimate pro,” Davis said. “If it’s Stingley, they’re both speaking the same LSU language. Both of them wore number 7 there. But if it’s someone else, he’s going to be a great mentor.”
https://www.twincities.com/2022/04/21/if...o-12-pick/

Love the Stingley/Peterson LSU connection, but I'm more interested in what Daronte Jones thinks. I also love the Mensa-level approach P2 would share with McDuffie. That would also be a very good combo. 

I think an underrated CB no one is talking about in a trade down is Kaiir Elam. You have to teach him to tackle, but his coverage is right up there with Sauce, McDuffie and Stingley.

Folks talk about Stingley's injury history, but seem to gloss over Booth's. From Brugler: "missed one game as a junior because of a hamstring injury (October 2021) and another because of a stinger (November 2021); required surgery after his freshman year to repair a tear in his patella tendon in his right knee (January 2020); also battled some knee tendinitis in high school; missed most of the pre-draft process because of a Grade 2 quad strain and double hernia surgery (April 2022)."

That's a lot. 

Love the Stingley/Peterson LSU connection, but I'm more interested in what Daronte Jones thinks. I also love the Mensa-level approach P2 would share with McDuffie. That would also be a very good combo. 

I think an underrated CB no one is talking about in a trade down is Kaiir Elam. You have to teach him to tackle, but his coverage is right up there with Sauce, McDuffie and Stingley.

Folks talk about Stingley's injury history, but seem to gloss over Booth's. From Brugler: "missed one game as a junior because of a hamstring injury (October 2021) and another because of a stinger (November 2021); required surgery after his freshman year to repair a tear in his patella tendon in his right knee (January 2020); also battled some knee tendinitis in high school; missed most of the pre-draft process because of a Grade 2 quad strain and double hernia surgery (April 2022)."

That's a lot. 

For some it wouldn’t matter if Booth were in a coma, as long as his arms are over thirty inches…!  Wink :p  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Can I just say, I really like Gabe Henderson. He’s got an easy, flowing way of interviewing and no awkwardness whatsoever. I did like Wobby the last couple years before the Vikings moved on from him but man there were plenty of times where he was just painfully awkward to watch. Gabe is very opposite of that.