Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to see another Mock or not?
Someone needs to school me in the ins an outs of why the safety position is being undervalued in a passing league. Seems to me getting enforcers back there who are also ball hawks, who also can run with the deep routes, are generals of the d-backfield, and are deadly blitzing should be prized possessions in any scheme. 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
Someone needs to school me in the ins an outs of why the safety position is being undervalued in a passing league. Seems to me getting enforcers back there who are also ball hawks, who also can run with the deep routes, are generals of the d-backfield, and are deadly blitzing should be prized possessions in any scheme. 
Geoff has posted about certain $$ thresholds being “acceptable” levels for teams to spend on certain positions. For some reason saftey goes down the list a bit and since we have Harry its hard to justify more capital. 

I dont know anything extra special beyond being a fan. To me great players should be the focus and by valuing positions above others (save QB) gets away from BPA. 

As mentioned many times Harry is long in the tooth. If I'm being honest, I thought he absolutely fell off the cliff last year. Not sure he's anywhere close to the player he was 3 years ago. Are we really any better at the back end than we are at corner?

It would be a bit perplexing to take a pass on the clear #1 safety vs. the #2-4 CB especially if we're moving away from a tight man coverage scheme.

Hamilton is a tall, lanky hard nosed safety that will help ANY team that drafts him. 

Camryn Bynum and Hamilton could carry the Vikings for a LONG time at safety if they were to draft him. Vikings might have some great options at #12 worth staying there for.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
As mentioned many times Harry is long in the tooth. If I'm being honest, I thought he absolutely fell off the cliff last year. Not sure he's anywhere close to the player he was 3 years ago. Are we really any better at the back end than we are at corner?

It would be a bit perplexing to take a pass on the clear #1 safety vs. the #2-4 CB especially if we're moving away from a tight man coverage scheme.
I dont see that,  I saw his performance decline,  but I also saw him trying to do to much and as a result he got himself out of position.  Imo that was more a product of Zimmer asking his fixer to fix to many things on amy given play.  You can have your safety play at the LOS and then bail if you have corners that can actually cover for a 2 count, or not bite on every double move,    or have a front 7 that can get pressure,  we had neither and its the safeties that get left looking like shit.  Hopefully the front 7 can take care of the LOS and Harry wont be asked to play a deep 1/2 with little support,  when starting from the LOS and having run obligations prior to bailing.

I have done a bunch of mocks and it is hard to nab a good safety. I would be pretty excited to have Hamilton fall to 12.