Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft day 1999

But Jevon Kearse would have helped much more and possibly got us to the SB

Amazing to think what would have happened if we drafted:

1) Jevon Kearse (instead of Culpepper)
1) Al Wilson (LB, replacing Dixon Edwards)

Denny fucked that one up

Played Randal/Jeff George with those two on defense.  Could have been the difference makers during that year, especially producing outside pressure from Jevon.  Any QB (except Marino) would have wanted to play here in 2000 with that offense and a defense that featured some young studs.  JG could have stayed we could have run it back in full

Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith 

All went b4 Pepp...McNown went to Chicago at Pick 12...

Denny knew how to draft offense, no doubt. They got Kleinsasser at pick 44 that same draft. 

I do get the sentiment of drafting Kearse - but The Sheriff had an addiction for offense. Plus George was a locker room cancer and Cunningham was never the same after that 98 CG. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith 

Denny knew how to draft offense, no doubt. They got Kleinsasser at pick 44 that same draft. 

I do get the sentiment of drafting Kearse - but The Sheriff had an addiction for offense. Plus George was a locker room cancer and Cunningham was never the same after that 98 CG. 
Those late 90s denny teams would have been almost unbeatable in the no defense modern NFL.

Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith 

George was the best QB eyes down.  But above that, he was a bust.  Cunningham needed Billick to read the D for him, once teams figured that out, he couldn't compete.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@purplefaithful said:
Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith 

Those late 90s denny teams would have been almost unbeatable in the no defense modern NFL.
Agreed, but you are forgetting one important piece...it's the Vikings and something always happens to them.

Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith 

Hard to say that Jeff George was a locker room cancer in Minnesota.  I think he was pretty happy here, never had such a set of weapons around him and it seemed the team responded to his taking the reins mid-season.

That Rams team was a on a magical run in 99 no doubt BUT you do have to wonder if we had Jevon Kearse on the edge and Wilson on the second level would have made a difference in that Monday night game vs Tampa we lost at the end, the following week vs KC in KC we lost in the 4th.  Or the week 3 battle we lost in Lambeau on a last minute Favre drive.

All we needed was one of those to be W's to win the division and have a different path facing STL in the playoffs.

We got absolutely 0 impact/production from the 1st round picks in 99.