Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super creepy. Yo, Tennessee what up?
https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-politics/a-get-out-of-jail-free-card-gop-bill-would-eliminate-age-requirements-for-marriages-in-tennessee/

Come on Tennessee the jokes write themselves.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A proposal making its way through the state legislature would establish a common-law marriage between “one man” and “one woman.” 
Opponents of the bill (HB 233) say it would eliminate an age requirement, and in some instances, open the door for a coverup of child sex abuse.
The bill’s sponsor, Tom Leatherwood (R-Arlington) said the law being considered would add a new marriage option for Tennesseans. “So, all this bill does is give an alternative form of marriage for those pastors and other individuals who have a conscientious objection to the current pathway to marriage in our law.”
But missing from the bill are age requirements, opening the door for possible child marriages. Something the bill sponsor acknowledged during a Children and Family Affairs subcommittee. “There is not an explicit age limit,” Leatherwood said.
Representative Mike Stewart (D-Nashville), who sits on the subcommittee the bill passed out of, said he doesn’t understand the motivation. “I don’t think any normal person thinks we shouldn’t have an age requirement for marriage.”
He added it could open up the possibility to cover up child sex abuse. “It should not be there as it’s basically a get out of jail free card for people who are basically committing statutory rape — I mean it’s completely ridiculous, so that’s another reason why this terrible bill should be eliminated,” Steward said. 
The Sexual Assault Center of Middle Tennessee released the following statement to News 2:
“The Sexual Assault Center does not believe the age of consent for marriage should be any younger than it already is. It makes children more vulnerable to coercion and manipulation from predators, sexual and other.”
According to UNICEF, between 2000 and 2018, 300,000 girls and boys were married before 18 in the US
Is this thing on?

LOL... do you need a law to say what another law already says?  Tennessee has a law on the books that sets the age requirements for marriage....no outrage in the past for this though?

Tennessee Code Annotated section 36-3-105 states that it is unlawful for individuals to get married who are not at least 16 years of age.  That is actually older than it used to be.  The law used to say that if you were 15 years old, you could get married as long as you had parental consent to the marriage.  Tennessee Code Annotated section 36-3-106 now states that if anyone wants to get married who is under the age of 18, they have to get parental consent to the marriage by their parent or legal guardian.

This type of legislation happens all the time in every state that is slanted one way or the other politically.  I'll shit on TN since I live here but this applies to blue states and dare I say even happens MN?  I believe your governor even said there was only cows and rocks outside the twin cities metro area.

In TN you've got about 3/4 of the house seats held by republicans.  Our elections don't happen during the general election they happen during the primary.  If you win the republican primary you're the winner of the seat because it doesn't mater who you're running against if they don't have an R in front of their name. 

The way to win the republican primary is to spout all kinds of shit like this because the more "republican" you are the better your chances of winning are and/or holding off a primary challenger when a candidate comes out of the woodwork and blames you for not being republican enough (because you didn't introduce batshit political stunts like this) then you have a chance of losing your seat to the next guy or gal (assuming we can identify genders anymore). 

Make no mistake.  The dont say gay bill in FL is entirely about DeSantis appealing to hardcore conservatives.

And Mike,

Since I've spent about 1/2 my life in MN and 1/2 my life in TN.  I can very very confidently tell you I'd rather live in TN and thats after desperately wanting to go back to MN for years.  It's not just politics.  But by and large we get left alone and by and large we pretty much all get along. 

The taxes are significantly better.  To the point we probably would struggle financially in MN.  Cost of living isn't just taxes though.  Theres many things cheaper here then MN. 

The weather is significantly better.  I do miss snowmobiling and ice fishing though.  I barely crack out a winter coat all winter long.  Maybe a couple days?  You guys aren't any cooler in the summer either.  You have cooler days longer into June and going out in August but the last couple years you've been hotter then we've been. 

The bugs are amazingly better.  You can actually be out at dusk without being carried away.  I honestly forgot how much I hated mosquitoes until I went fishing up there. 

But feel free to make jokes about TN if it makes you feel better.  MN isn't the utopia you think it is.  And if building/moving trends are any indication on what the people in America think about TN vs MN that should say all you need to know.  

Quote: @AGRforever said:
And Mike,

Since I've spent about 1/2 my life in MN and 1/2 my life in TN.  I can very very confidently tell you I'd rather live in TN and thats after desperately wanting to go back to MN for years.  It's not just politics.  But by and large we get left alone and by and large we pretty much all get along. 

The taxes are significantly better.  To the point we probably would struggle financially in MN.  Cost of living isn't just taxes though.  Theres many things cheaper here then MN. 

The weather is significantly better.  I do miss snowmobiling and ice fishing though.  I barely crack out a winter coat all winter long.  Maybe a couple days?  You guys aren't any cooler in the summer either.  You have cooler days longer into June and going out in August but the last couple years you've been hotter then we've been. 

The bugs are amazingly better.  You can actually be out at dusk without being carried away.  I honestly forgot how much I hated mosquitoes until I went fishing up there. 

But feel free to make jokes about TN if it makes you feel better.  MN isn't the utopia you think it is.  And if building/moving trends are any indication on what the people in America think about TN vs MN that should say all you need to know.  
Yall dont have the humidity like the ozarks in your area?  that is unfucking believable in the summer in northern arkansas how miserable it gets even right at sun up.  now lets talk about the rest of the WTF,  why would you live here?  Timber Rattlers?  Water Moccasins?  Scorpions?, Brown Recluse Spiders?  I know that they have all that nasty shit just west of you a few hours,  you deal with that shit in your neck of the woods?   mosquitos dont typically kill me or even do more than irritate me. Wink

I really enjoyed my visit to eastern TN a few years back and would like to visit again some day,  but I also dont want to deal with any of that shit,  so I will likely be there in the winter months.

yet the left approves of judge KJB

Quote: @greediron said:
And the right approves of Kavanaugh, Gorsuch and Coney Barrett.

Quote: @greediron said:
why was it so important for sleepy joe to nominate a woman when that woman is unable to define the term woman?  is she to stupid or is it that she knows that it is actually very easy but doesnt want to speak the scientific truth?

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@greediron said:
And the right approves of Kavanaugh, Gorsuch and Coney Barrett.
I don't like Kavanaugh, he is very weak and wasn't worth all the angst.  But Gorsuch and ACB, yes, give me more of it.  

However, how does that relate to child abuser friendly KJB?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@AGRforever said:
And Mike,

Yall dont have the humidity like the ozarks in your area?  that is unfucking believable in the summer in northern arkansas how miserable it gets even right at sun up.  now lets talk about the rest of the WTF,  why would you live here?  Timber Rattlers?  Water Moccasins?  Scorpions?, Brown Recluse Spiders?  I know that they have all that nasty shit just west of you a few hours,  you deal with that shit in your neck of the woods?   mosquitos dont typically kill me or even do more than irritate me. Wink

I really enjoyed my visit to eastern TN a few years back and would like to visit again some day,  but I also dont want to deal with any of that shit,  so I will likely be there in the winter months.
The humidity was WAY worse in MN.  Very much a dryer heat in July/August. I’ve seen cotton mouth and water moccasins and killed a few. Basically on snakes, if you leave the black snakes alone theyll keep the bad ones away. Learning to live with the non poisonous large ones took a year or two. 

There are tons of brown relcuse. I spray the house and buildings and that slows them down some. I honestly don’t know soneone whos been bitten by one though. Ticks are more dangerous in my opinion. Rock Mountain spotted fever is no joke.  We do have RMSF but not lymes. 

And while theres plenty of rednecks here, theres plenty pretty much everywhere you go.