Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports Predicts Kirk Cousins Blockbuster Trade
Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
The Vikings gave assurances to Kirk's camp at the combine that they wouldn't trade him. So he's not going anywhere. 

So Cousins stays & we’re going after veteran IL, where’s the cap relief coming from Geoff…??? 
Contract extensions provide cap relief. If the Vikings aren't going to trade Cousins, they almost have to extend him. Rodgers just signed a $200M deal with $153M guaranteed....and his 22 cap number goes down. 

Also a LOT of money to pulled from the contracts of Hunter, Thielen, Harry, etc. 
I doubt they extend him, at least not now. But they'll move $12-20M onto future caps. Which will get them back under the cap with Kirk's contract alone. Then they'll work on the others. Thielen will need to take a pay-cut or he's going to get outright released. Pierce likely will be gone which opens up another $6M or so. With those two moves they'll get about $10M under and then they'll manipulate Barr's dead money to get that closer to $15M. I'm not sure they want to move much money around on other veterans. They could though. 

With Kirk off the 2023 cap (for now) and Pierce's $10+M off only having $15M or so to spend this off-season should work since they can keep the 2022 cap hits low. 
With Pierce gone, do they play Watts or Lynch at NT? Or do they slide Tomlinson over?

I have a tough time seeing Thielen being released. 
Probably Watts on the nose with Tomlinson as the hard base end. But really, it could go either way. Lynch is probably more of a NT in my opinion in the 3-4. 

As for Thielen, its tricky. He won't be back on his current deal. His market value is close to Marvin Jones & TY Hilton $6-8M annually. Vikings could pay a bit of a premium based on his marketing profile and the TD number that didn't regress. But that isn't an easy deal to restructure since you're asking for a straight pay-cut vs. just moving money around. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
Contract extensions provide cap relief. If the Vikings aren't going to trade Cousins, they almost have to extend him. Rodgers just signed a $200M deal with $153M guaranteed....and his 22 cap number goes down. 

Also a LOT of money to pulled from the contracts of Hunter, Thielen, Harry, etc. 
I doubt they extend him, at least not now. But they'll move $12-20M onto future caps. Which will get them back under the cap with Kirk's contract alone. Then they'll work on the others. Thielen will need to take a pay-cut or he's going to get outright released. Pierce likely will be gone which opens up another $6M or so. With those two moves they'll get about $10M under and then they'll manipulate Barr's dead money to get that closer to $15M. I'm not sure they want to move much money around on other veterans. They could though. 

With Kirk off the 2023 cap (for now) and Pierce's $10+M off only having $15M or so to spend this off-season should work since they can keep the 2022 cap hits low. 
I can feel the excitement now....not!

Come on new regime don't settle for the same old same old.  

The above scenario gives me the hope of competing for a wild card spot and a mid level draft pick which we have accomplished for a long time.  

Nothing ventured nothing gained.  

@MaroonBells said:
@Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
The Vikings gave assurances to Kirk's camp at the combine that they wouldn't trade him. So he's not going anywhere. 

So Cousins stays & we’re going after veteran IL, where’s the cap relief coming from Geoff…??? 

What’s happening on the Hunter front…??? 

Releasing Thielen would be tough, but yeah his production has dropped the last two years due to injuries and he's 32. If that happens I'd put WR towards the top of our draft needs list 

@MaroonBells said:
@Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I could be misinterpreting your comment but it reads to me that you think they will add void years to Cousins deal move 12-20M to future years.  Is that right?

If so, they need Cousins permission to add void years.  You think he and his agent will do that knowing the team does not want to offer an extension?

Why would they do that?  If something happens to him he likely does not get another deal besides a Fitzpatrick level deal.  Even if nothing happens, do you think he will get a large contract from some team after the 2022 season?

Considering they did not allow void years in this current contract, I have doubts about them adding them in now.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I could be misinterpreting your comment but it reads to me that you think they will add void years to Cousins deal move 12-20M to future years.  Is that right?

If so, they need Cousins permission to add void years.  You think he and his agent will do that knowing the team does not want to offer an extension?

Why would they do that?  If something happens to him he likely does not get another deal besides a Fitzpatrick level deal.  Even if nothing happens, do you think he will get a large contract from some team after the 2022 season?

Considering they did not allow void years in this current contract, I have doubts about them adding them in now.
Why would any player not add void years? Its basic finance of money now > money later. They'll write him a $12-15M check next week vs. waiting to play the games next season. It has no implication on any future deal in MN or elsewhere. 

Quote: @Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

What’s happening on the Hunter front…??? 
They want to keep him and he is excited to play in a 3-4. Anything is still in play but % chance is he will be here. 

https://twitter.com/dwolfsonkstp/status/...01123?s=21

No idea if this tweet will paste (it probably won’t) but Rich Eisen asked RS if KC will win a SB in Minnesota and it went pretty much exactly like when I posted in another thread asking people if Kirk will win a Super Bowl here. TLDR; hemming and hawing and yes he *can* but WILL he? Ehhhh

Update- it didn’t paste  :/

The tweet and video is on @DWolfsonKSTP twitter feed. RS comes off complimentary but it’s hardly a firm endorsement of Kirk. Kind of interesting. Maybe Eisen can get Zim on to hear his thoughts too  :p

EDIT- it posted! … I think?

@MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Why would any player not add void years? Its basic finance of money now > money later. They'll write him a $12-15M check next week vs. waiting to play the games next season. It has no implication on any future deal in MN or elsewhere. 
The point is that they did not allow any void years in the last extension.  Doing so now allows the Vikings to keep him for one more year without committing long term now.

I believe the contract was written without void years on purpose. I believe Cousins and his agent knew that the Vikings would not want to absorb a 45M cap hit and thus, would have to make an additional commitment.  Having void years gives the team a pause and let's the Vikings have his services for one more year without a longer commitment.

He is getting the 35M no matter what so giving him a check in March instead of over 17 weeks later in the year is no big deal.  That argument is not very persuasive especially for a dude that already has pulled in 161.6M for his career.

If the team wants to add void years, Cousins must give them permission.  This is a fact.

I have doubts but could be wrong.