Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer and Cousins “chest bump”....in retrospect
Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@Havoc1649 said:
It looked to me like Zimmer was overly sensitive here, but admittedly, I don’t think much of Zimmer. This looks like typical excited celebration after a game. It’s ironic since this is exactly the type of energy Zimmer said he wanted from Cousins. 
To me, he now comes off as a whiny little B who wants to blame everyone but himself for his failures. Cousins is nothing more than a convenient target because of how a portion of the fans feel about him. 
The reality is every offensive coach who served under him, to include some long tenured well respected guys, wanted away from him as soon as possible. 
I have been saying it sunce the “miracle” game.

One only need look at his lack of respect for his players. The kicker position especially. He had no respect for others around him.
Except for his really odd/obsessive belief in Teddy, much like a lot of folks on this board. Zim will probably go to his grave thinking Teddy always was the right guy for his offense

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@Mike Olson said:
@Havoc1649 said:
It looked to me like Zimmer was overly sensitive here, but admittedly, I don’t think much of Zimmer. This looks like typical excited celebration after a game. It’s ironic since this is exactly the type of energy Zimmer said he wanted from Cousins. 
To me, he now comes off as a whiny little B who wants to blame everyone but himself for his failures. Cousins is nothing more than a convenient target because of how a portion of the fans feel about him. 
The reality is every offensive coach who served under him, to include some long tenured well respected guys, wanted away from him as soon as possible. 

One only need look at his lack of respect for his players. The kicker position especially. He had no respect for others around him.
Except for his really odd/obsessive belief in Teddy, much like a lot of folks on this board. Zim will probably go to his grave thinking Teddy always was the right guy for his offense
Yeah, I don't get that about Zimmer. 

im still waiting on someone who was right there to say exactly what was being said etc. Maybe we find out if Cousins is traded. 

@Mike Olson said:
@Havoc1649 said:

I think he probably was. In fact, of course he was. Zimmer didn't want to play a passing game. He wanted to run the ball and play defense. He wanted a game manager, someone he could count on to move the ball and not turn the ball over. That's Teddy. Or at least it was. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@Havoc1649 said:

I think this is probably only partially true.  I think there’s two Zimmer eras.  There’s the era where Spielman helped build
Zimmer’s vision and there’s the era where Spielman built the team around his
own vision and forced the decision onto Zimmer.

I think he clearly has a lot of respect for his players
and his players have said great things about him.  I think there’s probably a lot less respect
for the players that Zimmer didn’t want but Spielman forced onto him.  But across era’s, I think Zimmer has always
had a lack of respect for players that weren’t professional and didn’t do their
jobs.  Guys like kickers who have one job
and still screw it up.  Guys like Davis
who show up out of shape and expect to be handed a starting spot.  Guys like Ngakoue who ignore the scheme and
just try to get glory stats.  That’s
probably a little out of touch in the modern NFL where you have massive roster
turnover and players don’t really have multiple years to become ingrained in a
system.

Quote: @medaille said:
@Mike Olson said:
@Havoc1649 said:

I think this is probably only partially true.  I think there’s two Zimmer eras.  There’s the era where Spielman helped build

and his players have said great things about him.  I think there’s probably a lot less respect
for the players that Zimmer didn’t want but Spielman forced onto him.  But across era’s, I think Zimmer has always
who show up out of shape and expect to be handed a starting spot.  Guys like Ngakoue who ignore the scheme and
system.

I think you are giving Zim too much credit. Both Kendricks and O'Neill have come out to insinuate that Zimmer was not approachable the last couple of years and both of them are guys are true professionals who did their job well. I have a hunch there's more to the Davis situation but we will likely never know. The kicker thing is obvious.

@medaille said:
@Mike Olson said:
@Havoc1649 said:

system.

I think you are giving Zim too much credit. Both Kendricks and O'Neill have come out to insinuate that Zimmer was not approachable the last couple of years and both of them are guys are true professionals who did their job well. I have a hunch there's more to the Davis situation but we will likely never know. The kicker thing is obvious.
I think the bad Zimmer vibes got bad during the pandemic.  Most guys stood up for him prior to that despite him being gruff but honest with his players...  then the pandemic hit...  the Vikings had one of the lowest vax rates in the NFL...  you have a HC who is old school in the fact that he expects players to do everything they can to be on the field...  and the COVID protocols were very strict...  then add the pressure of Zimmer needing to win to keep a job and Spielman saddled him with a QB he didn't want and the resulting roster turnover...  I can see why Zimmer acted the way he did and how the relationship between FO, HC, and players suffered after that.

Doesn't mean I'm defending Zimmer, he definitely has fault in this.  But it wasn't all him, Spielman and others are right in it too.  It is was time for a house cleaning.  I think O'Connell and Kwesi will bring a new energetic mindset to the organization (and hopefully wins).

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@medaille said:
@Mike Olson said:
@Havoc1649 said:

system.

I think the bad Zimmer vibes got bad during the pandemic.  Most guys stood up for him prior to that despite him being gruff but honest with his players...  then the pandemic hit...  the Vikings had one of the lowest vax rates in the NFL...  you have a HC who is old school in the fact that he expects players to do everything they can to be on the field...  and the COVID protocols were very strict...  then add the pressure of Zimmer needing to win to keep a job and Spielman saddled him with a QB he didn't want and the resulting roster turnover...  I can see why Zimmer acted the way he did and how the relationship between FO, HC, and players suffered after that.

Doesn't mean I'm defending Zimmer, he definitely has fault in this.  But it wasn't all him, Spielman and others are right in it too.  It is was time for a house cleaning.  I think O'Connell and Kwesi will bring a new energetic mindset to the organization (and hopefully wins).
I don't disagree with you on that. I think everyone was feeling the pressure and uneasy situations...players included. If that's how it was during 2020 then they really should have cleaned house after that season, not after this season. Nothing we can do about it now, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from Kwesi and SkolConnell

But with regard to the chest bump, I don’t think it was anything like what they tried to make it out to be.  I think KC was saying “how do you like THAT MFer?” And Zimmer felt challenged and lashed out. It was not in the least a friendly exchange. This was a revelation of two guys who do not like each other.

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
But with regard to the chest bump, I don’t think it was anything like what they tried to make it out to be.  I think KC was saying “how do you like THAT MFer?” And Zimmer felt challenged and lashed out. It was not in the least a friendly exchange. This was a revelation of two guys who do not like each other.
I dont see that type of wanna be alpha pup in Kirk.   He is a pleaser and wouldn't be up disrespecting Zimmer that way imo.