Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING NEWS: Zimmer Didn't Like Cousins
Quote: @greediron said:
@VikingOracle said:
@greediron said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Openly complaining about Kirk during the season in which he (Zimmer) made numerous head scratching coaching decisions each game sure is something. Kirk isn't perfect but my god, have a look in the mirror Zimmer. I'll bet if you have a conversation with him today he would probably try to justify having the secondary so far off the Detroit receivers in the last drive. So glad that dbag is gone.
Pretty sure Patrick Peterson spoke on that play, said that Dantzler was not playing that like they practiced.  But I am sure that isn't why he was in Zim's doghouse, probably because Zimmer wanted him to play poorly and he wouldn't.  

Blaming the coach for players not playing the position seems to be a meme around here.  After Zimmer lost Rhodes, Waynes and Mac, his defense suffered immensely.  Hard to form a good solid back end with a bunch of rookies and castoffs.  

Hmm, maybe that is why he didn't want to spend $30 mil on Cousins.
With all due respect, Zim would not have won with Rhodes, Waynes and Mac (and he spent a lot of draft capital on DBs).  Under Zim, Rhodes raised his game to new heights but then came crashing down the last two seasons under Zimmer.  Those last two years included 10 million dollar salaries.  Wayne was good but made 20 million in 2020 (5 mill base and 15 mill signing bonus) and over 10 million last year and, because of injuries, hardly touched the field during those 2 seasons.  And we all saw Mac this past season.  I am not a big fan of Cousins but if you are talking about spending 30 million on Cousins or 30 million on Waynes and Rhodes (as Rhodes played his last 2 seasons) in 2020, well, the choice is fairly clear.
I like cousins and am not saying he wasn't worth the money.

Rhodes crashed because he is rather flakey.  BRob's lockerroom bits showed us what everyone knew about Planet Xe.   Has the physical skills, but maybe got caught up in his own stardom. Waynes was a solid DB that many here didn't like, but he got paid by another team.  Zim always had a top D when he had the backend players.
I agree you are not saying Cousins wasn't worth the money  -- I believe you are just stating Zimmer's position that he would rather spend the money on defense.  Zimmer's hyperfocus on defense is why he ultimately failed as a head coach.  Also, I would guess that is Zimmer got cut out of certain draft/acquisition decisions.  As JT18 pointed out above, in 2021 the Vikings had committed 12 million more on defense than offense prior to free agency.  If Zimmer had his way, much more would have been allocated to defense.  And Zimmer certainly did deliver much bang for the buck.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@greediron said:
@VikingOracle said:
@greediron said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Openly complaining about Kirk during the season in which he (Zimmer) made numerous head scratching coaching decisions each game sure is something. Kirk isn't perfect but my god, have a look in the mirror Zimmer. I'll bet if you have a conversation with him today he would probably try to justify having the secondary so far off the Detroit receivers in the last drive. So glad that dbag is gone.
Pretty sure Patrick Peterson spoke on that play, said that Dantzler was not playing that like they practiced.  But I am sure that isn't why he was in Zim's doghouse, probably because Zimmer wanted him to play poorly and he wouldn't.  

Blaming the coach for players not playing the position seems to be a meme around here.  After Zimmer lost Rhodes, Waynes and Mac, his defense suffered immensely.  Hard to form a good solid back end with a bunch of rookies and castoffs.  

Hmm, maybe that is why he didn't want to spend $30 mil on Cousins.
With all due respect, Zim would not have won with Rhodes, Waynes and Mac (and he spent a lot of draft capital on DBs).  Under Zim, Rhodes raised his game to new heights but then came crashing down the last two seasons under Zimmer.  Those last two years included 10 million dollar salaries.  Wayne was good but made 20 million in 2020 (5 mill base and 15 mill signing bonus) and over 10 million last year and, because of injuries, hardly touched the field during those 2 seasons.  And we all saw Mac this past season.  I am not a big fan of Cousins but if you are talking about spending 30 million on Cousins or 30 million on Waynes and Rhodes (as Rhodes played his last 2 seasons) in 2020, well, the choice is fairly clear.
I like cousins and am not saying he wasn't worth the money.

Rhodes crashed because he is rather flakey.  BRob's lockerroom bits showed us what everyone knew about Planet Xe.   Has the physical skills, but maybe got caught up in his own stardom. Waynes was a solid DB that many here didn't like, but he got paid by another team.  Zim always had a top D when he had the backend players.
I agree you are not saying Cousins wasn't worth the money  -- I believe you are just stating Zimmer's position that he would rather spend the money on defense.  Zimmer's hyperfocus on defense is why he ultimately failed as a head coach.  Also, I would guess that is Zimmer got cut out of certain draft/acquisition decisions.  As JT18 pointed out above, in 2021 the Vikings had committed 12 million more on defense than offense prior to free agency.  If Zimmer had his way, much more would have been allocated to defense.  And Zimmer certainly did deliver much bang for the buck.
Yes, but Zimmer was also hamstrung by Rick's failure to provide a franchise QB and his unwillingness to keep drafting QBs.

Many SB teams draft their QB and win while they are in the cheap rookie deal.  Brady being the obvious exception.  The Rams traded for a vet, but also spent lots of money and draft capital on defense.

My point is that we had lots of issues as to why we didn't win.  Zimmer not liking the money spent on Cousins barely registers IMO.  And it was said in a coaches meeting, not publicly.  That is the place to be honest about players.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Things you don’t see in this thread: anyone saying Zimmer’s assessment of Cousins was wrong. 
Not looking very hard. Plenty have said Cousins isn't perfect, but you basically had a guy with slightly worse stats and a whole lot better D win a SB this year. Stafford did nothing more spectacular than Cousins all year but is suddenly in rarified air. Zimmer hammering his O-coordinators year after year, and showing no support/respect for his QB or for that matter special teams/PK makes me think the guy has some deep seated issues.     

First off, it was Cousins who wanted the meetings with Zimmer, not the other way around. Zimmer would later state it was because Cousins wanted the option to make play call changes at the line. He wanted more say on the offensive play calling. Zimmer said no, run the plays. That’s coming from Zimmer during the season. Coincidentally, Eric Kendricks also desired some more flexibility. Can’t imagine why when Zimmer orders a soft zone on 3rd and 7 for the 10th time in a game. Kendricks was also told no way. So there you have it. We all watched a year of coaching stupidity, but it’s the QB’s fault lol! The 4th highest rating in the league who continuously put us in position to win despite the defense handing out points at the end of halves and the coach wanting super conservatism whenever we had the slightest lead. Yep, it’s the QB’s fault. I don’t think a person can come up with a more moronic conclusion.

Kirk Cousins can play exactly like he did this past year and if you can’t win with that, you’re a super shitty flicking coach. Period, end of story. 
He was 4th in QB rating and 9th in QBR. He did that with play calling we all thought was garbage. He did it with a poor line. Stuff like the above article - irrational. 
I could give a flying F if the coach likes any of the guys. Your job is to put them in the best position to have success. Liking and not liking a guy doesn’t matter at all, at least if you’re a guy who is a decent coach. On a side note, “his assistants”. You mean like his own son and the guys he moved up who had no business being there? There’s a reason why Zimmer bled coaches and Kirk Cousins did not cause that. Oh wait, I bet to some out there, that was Cousins too, lol! 
This whole Cousins stuff has just gotten ridiculous. All I hear from actual football guys is they’d love to have him. It is only the pundits and writers who I hear this nonsense from. Some fans too, but they get a pass as most of them have not a clue how an offense works or if a guy is doing the right thing or not. 
Either way, hopefully they come to an agreement soon and we can move forward. Problem is, I think everyone is waiting on what Rodgers new contract looks like and as we all know, he’s a flip flopping dbag. We’ll see if he sticks to his claim he’ll figure it out by free agency.