Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GM Kwesi
When he took over the Minnesota Vikings front office prior to the 2022 season, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah inherited an aging roster with cap decisions looming. After deciding to largely run it back with the same roster in 2022, Kwesi has been aggressive in trimming the roster this off-season. Kwesi has also shown a surprising lack of desire to extend some of the younger talents on the roster in his first two off-seasons.
To date, he has not extended a single player currently under contract beyond a year outside of C.J. Ham.
Before getting into extension candidates, let’s look at a brief breakdown of players Adofo-Mensah decided weren’t definitively part of the future to date:

Examining the Minnesota Vikings GM’s Aversion to Commitment (msn.com)

Minnesota has some cap space moving forward and a lot of young talent on the roster. Kwesi has shown that he can be shrewd when moving on from aging players. However, the longer Adofo-Mensah drags his feet on guys like Jefferson and Hockenson, the more likely it is that the new front office will get a bad reputation for not taking care of their own. That’s not a reputation a team ever wants to have within its own locker room. Hopefully, that narrative will end with at least one long-term extension for a Viking being announced before the end of training camp.

That's kind of what I've been saying.  Right now it seems like Kwesi and the FO lack conviction and are trying to live in today and tomorrow as our GM likes to say... at some point you have to use that cap space you created to lock up your young core talent.

I'm not sure why we are dragging our feet on extending Hockenson and Jefferson.  They are clearly part of our core moving forward so just get them signed while we have some cap space this season and a ton next year.  The longer we wait, the more expensive it will get as other players get deals done.

I think there's a plan, but fans aren't privy to it. What that ends up being is anyone's guess. I'm results oriented, so what I've seen so far from the new regime is a 13-win season and a disappointing home playoff loss. But the defense was also absolutely garbage, and they are trying to change that with Flores. 

I think they are attempting to get some flexibility within the cap and massage the roster in real time. If they win 7 games this season, then I'll complain. Loudly. But until then, everything is just meh, whatever.....lets get to the regular season as healthy as possible.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
That's kind of what I've been saying.  Right now it seems like Kwesi and the FO lack conviction and are trying to live in today and tomorrow as our GM likes to say... at some point you have to use that cap space you created to lock up your young core talent.

I'm not sure why we are dragging our feet on extending Hockenson and Jefferson.  They are clearly part of our core moving forward so just get them signed while we have some cap space this season and a ton next year.  The longer we wait, the more expensive it will get as other players get deals done.

I agree on JJ. But, the franchise tag for TEs is relatively cheap, somewhere in the $10M range, I believe. Kwesi should keep that in his pocket & use it to negotiate a team friendly contract w/ Hock & I'm sure that he is.

Another dump on Kwesi rant.  Agree with Sticky that the team has a plan but fans have no clue as to what it is.  Although fans seem to think that since there is no action on resigning young players that Kwesi must not have a clue on how to run a team so lets take it out on him.

It takes Kwesi and a players agent to get a deal done and just because neither JJ or Hockenson have not been extended as of yet it has to be Kwesi's fault, he must be in over his head, stupid Wilf's are clueless and should have hired somebody else.  Maybe agents are playing hard ball and asking for outrageous contracts but we as fans have no fucking clue as to negotiations so it has to be Kwesi's fault because it hasn't gotten done.  Maybe he sits in his office all day and wonders how do I run a team.

I guess I don't see a problem waiting on some of this.  Jefferson is fantastic, but if he were to "Teddy" his knee in training camp 10 minutes after signing his brinks truck deal then Kwesi would be done as a NFL GM.

Quote: @Wetlander said:

I think it shows some conviction to not extend Cousins and Hunter.  But, I do agree that we need to move on Justin and Hock, and extend them prior to the season, so for me the jury is still out. 

I'm just a  rube fan, but it   seems it would've been better for Cook and the Vikings for him to renegotiate a 1 year deal with massive incentives.

People like black and white. Good or bad. 

Competitive rebuild is too nebulous for most fans. You never know if things are moving ahead smoothly or about to go off the rails. 

Hell, I prefer clarity too. 

I guess the proof is in where do you as a fan set the bar? Winning a division? A playoff run? SB win? 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
People like black and white. Good or bad. Competitive rebuild is too nebulous for most fans. 
This. Folks complain about the living in today and tomorrow as if that's a bad thing. But that's what they should be doing.

Unless you believe the team should be torn down, which I think is absurd, you’re literally trying to set up a dominant roster for the future, while remaining a playoff team.