Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some draft talk...
Jordan Davis, IDL, GeorgiaWe won't have a perfect idea of the Vikings' main draft needs until after we see how Adofo-Mensah navigates the first part of the offseason. How the Vikings construct their roster via cuts, extensions, restructures, trades, and free agency will tell us a lot about how competitive they plan on being in 2022 and what they might do early in the draft. Nose tackle Michael Pierce, who has only played in eight of 33 games since signing with the Vikings in 2020, could be a cap casualty. Fellow defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson is only under contract for one more season. That could lead to the Vikings considering Davis, who is a massive human being who plays with power, leverage, and quickness. The 6'6", 340-pounder is going to be an elite run defender right away and has some upside as a pass rusher.
Mock: Kyle Yates, Fantasy Pros

Stingley scares the scrap out of me.

Davis is just a two down guy, but in a 3-4 he's pretty valuable.

Linderbaum would have me at Best Buy the following day.

Wilson would be a luxury pick depending on what we do in FA.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:

Love my boy Linderbaum, but drafting a center at 12 is not something I want. Wilson and Jordan Davis are no for me as well. If there is no trade down and we pick at 12 I think it has to be best CB or DE available, although I really like Nakobe Dean. I'm going to say trade down every time I think about the draft so that if I say it enough to myself maybe it will actually happen.

Stingley- You never take a guy with descending numbers while in school.

Linderbaum- Rather have the Guard position nailed down who can help Bradbury than the other way around for the time being.

Wilson- Would be interesting if we unloaded Thielen, but realistically, at 12 we're going defense no matter how you slice it.

Davis- Tony Mandarich

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

Love my boy Linderbaum, but drafting a center at 12 is not something I want. Wilson and Jordan Davis are no for me as well. If there is no trade down and we pick at 12 I think it has to be best CB or DE available, although I really like Nakobe Dean. I'm going to say trade down every time I think about the draft so that if I say it enough to myself maybe it will actually happen.
Pretty much every single mock I do on TDN involves a trade down or three. So many DEs and CBs that you are getting a very comparable guy 4-5 guys deep. 

Dean is the only guy on that Georgia D that I'm not crazy about. Just too small for my liking. Gimme Beavers Day 2.

We need CB so badly but taking possibly the 4th CB off the board at the 12th pick seems like the definition of “drafting for need”. Very risky. Maybe we get Justin Jefferson, maybe we get Ponder. Will trust the scouts and new regime but that’d have me a little worried. 

Sauce or Stingley would be home runs I think, if available. Still need to watch and learn about a lot of these other guys though. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
We need CB so badly but taking possibly the 4th CB off the board at the 12th pick seems like the definition of “drafting for need”. Very risky. Maybe we get Justin Jefferson, maybe we get Ponder. Will trust the scouts and new regime but that’d have me a little worried. 

Sauce or Stingley would be home runs I think, if available. Still need to watch and learn about a lot of these other guys though. 
I think Booth can be added as a homerun too, but we have bad luck with Clemson DB's. 

I remember all the hype around Stingley as a freshman when he was supposed to be the next elite corner, but he's missed a lot of time over the last two years. Is his freshman season reflective of who he'll be as a pro or are the last two season or is the foot injury he had last season something is going to linger? I'm not opposed to taking him, especially since we'll need good corners to pull off the Fangio style D, but if Sauce Gardner made it to 12, I'd feel more comfortable with him.

I just noticed that LSU has two defensive backs named Pig Cage and Major Burns. Those are incredible names.

Unless a premier DE drops down the board, go get the Sauce and retain PP.  

Maybe PP becomes Newman 2.0 and could slide inside to be more physical with TEs, Sauce with length and speed outside

Look for a DE/OLB pass rusher in the 2nd round.

Obligatory draft a OL (G/C) in 3rd

If we switch to 3-4 is it:
Richardson-Pierce-Tomlinson 
Hunter-????-Kendricks-2nd Round Rookie
Peterson-Smith-Bynum-Sauce/Dantzler

You wonder who will fill that ILB next to Kendricks, I was hoping it would be Surrat or Dye but haven't seen enough from either to make a judgement call.  Maybe a FA like Micah Kiser, Kenny Young, or Josey Jewell?  All guys from Denver, all relatively young and cheap

Quote: @Skodin said:
Unless a premier DE drops down the board, go get the Sauce and retain PP.  

Maybe PP becomes Newman 2.0 and could slide inside to be more physical with TEs, Sauce with length and speed outside

Look for a DE/OLB pass rusher in the 2nd round.

Obligatory draft a OL (G/C) in 3rd

If we switch to 3-4 is it:
Richardson-Pierce-Tomlinson 
Hunter-????-Kendricks-2nd Round Rookie
Peterson-Smith-Bynum-Sauce/Dantzler

You wonder who will fill that ILB next to Kendricks, I was hoping it would be Surrat or Dye but haven't seen enough from either to make a judgement call.  Maybe a FA like Micah Kiser, Kenny Young, or Josey Jewell?  All guys from Denver, all relatively young and cheap
I agree with all of this. Overthecap, if I'm reading it correctly, has Josey getting a contract average $3MM per year and PP at about $6MM per year (That portion of the site is hard to understand). Lock PP in for 2-3 years, draft the corner you love and get what you mentioned in 2nd and 3rd round. I would be happy with that outcome.