• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess there was a schism between Zim and Rick
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:
zim never wanted Cousins. Spielman went after the analytical midwest boy (like himself) to be his legacy. 

it was the beginning of the end

time to rid of Cousins
A couple thing's on Cousins. He is under contract for one more season. We can't cut him because the dead money cap hit would be 45 million dollars. We can try trading him, but he'll be 34 years old and what could we get for him in a trade package? If we were able to trade him and his contract, what are we doing for a starting QB for this upcoming season? It's not a pretty free agent market and this is a very weak draft class of QB's. 
More than what the Eagles got for Wentz, less than the Lions got for Stafford.

The Vikings are 0-2 in trades that were supposed to be the final Super Bowl piece.

I don't know that we could get a first round pick for Cousins. The Eagles got it for Wentz because the Colts were gambling on him reverting back to MVP form and was still only 28. I'm trying to think of teams that it would make sense for to make a move for Cousins...and its slim pickings. Maybe Cleveland reuniting with Stefanski depending on what they decide on Mayfield. Redskins would probably make the most sense
Cousins has APPEARED on the injury report once since 2014. Extremely productive. 33 isn't exactly ancient. Pen him in for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs.

And we can't get a first?

Fuck no.
I think its possible but not probable. I think interested teams will look at it as a mini fire-sale with Cousins. I still don't see it happening, but crazier things certainly have.
Wentz=fire sale...Lock=fire sale...Taysom Hill/Jameis Winston= fire sale...Taylor Heinicke=fire sale...Tua Tagovailoa= fire sale...Sam Darnold=fire sale...Jared Goff=fire sale...Matt Ryan=fire sale...Baker Mayfield=fire sale...Cousins=not a fire sale.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
Zimmer came in and turned a pathetic team into a better team. He hung a banner in fact. He took a team with a backup QB to the NFC championship game. 
Things changed when Spielman brought in the missing piece. 
Quit bagging on Zimmer so much and realize they both failed. And Cousins was the cause; if not directly, then indirectly through salary cap issues. 
If you were the coach, could you have had a successful defense with the defensive players on this or last years roster?
Zimmer is gone. Time to move on.
This is more of an organizational failure starting with Spielman and then Zimmer.  Spielman did overpaid for Cousins (No argument there) and neglected other needs on the team with patch work signings of veteran players either beyond their prime or one hit wonders.  Zimmer just could see past his run game only mentality and failed adjusting to game conditions/game management.  Hell, if someone offered me or you 84 million guaranteed, won't you jump in a piece of crap van and drive to Minneapolis?

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@StickyBun said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:
zim never wanted Cousins. Spielman went after the analytical midwest boy (like himself) to be his legacy. 

time to rid of Cousins
A couple thing's on Cousins. He is under contract for one more season. We can't cut him because the dead money cap hit would be 45 million dollars. We can try trading him, but he'll be 34 years old and what could we get for him in a trade package? If we were able to trade him and his contract, what are we doing for a starting QB for this upcoming season? It's not a pretty free agent market and this is a very weak draft class of QB's. 

The Vikings are 0-2 in trades that were supposed to be the final Super Bowl piece.

I don't know that we could get a first round pick for Cousins. The Eagles got it for Wentz because the Colts were gambling on him reverting back to MVP form and was still only 28. I'm trying to think of teams that it would make sense for to make a move for Cousins...and its slim pickings. Maybe Cleveland reuniting with Stefanski depending on what they decide on Mayfield. Redskins would probably make the most sense
Cousins has APPEARED on the injury report once since 2014. Extremely productive. 33 isn't exactly ancient. Pen him in for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs.

Fuck no.
I think its possible but not probable. I think interested teams will look at it as a mini fire-sale with Cousins. I still don't see it happening, but crazier things certainly have.
Wentz=fire sale...Lock=fire sale...Taysom Hill/Jameis Winston= fire sale...Taylor Heinicke=fire sale...Tua Tagovailoa= fire sale...Sam Darnold=fire sale...Jared Goff=fire sale...Matt Ryan=fire sale...Baker Mayfield=fire sale...Cousins=not a fire sale.
I'll respectfully disagree. First, I don't think he gets traded. Second, if he does, it will be because Minnesota wants to, not because there is this great demand for him. Which means less than market value. JMO.

Quote: @El_Padre said:
@StickyBun said:
Never picked Z as a little bitter bitch boy, yet....here we are. 

Really kind of kills his "hard ass" image.
Maybe the guy was just a bully. Sad.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@StickyBun said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

time to rid of Cousins

Fuck no.
Which one of these is as durable and productive as Cousins?

I'll wait.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@StickyBun said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

time to rid of Cousins

Fuck no.

I'll wait.
For sure, but being better then that riff raff and being worth a first round pick are two very different things. I hope you are right. And even if you aren’t I just hope the Vikings don’t give Kirk the “5 more years” idea that’s been bandied about. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@StickyBun said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

time to rid of Cousins

Fuck no.

I'll wait.
For sure, but being better then that riff raff and being worth a first round pick are two very different things. I hope you are right. And even if you aren’t I just hope the Vikings don’t give Kirk the “5 more years” idea that’s been bandied about. 
Kirk will be 34 years old before the start of next season. 

Wentz generated a first and third round pick. Kirk would easily generate a first round pick 

For eight years, Zimmer's unremitting approach yielded more wins than any coach in Vikings history not named Bud Grant or Dennis Green, but ultimately wore thin without consistent postseason success to provide a buffer.
This a long, in-deth article on Vikings in the local Strib today...I'm not going to re-post it here as its just too long. 

Some of it is what we already know i.e. poor gm/hc relationship at the end, strained player /coaching relations, rule by fear culture and more...

My take away is that there wasn't one issue that caused the owners to go nuclear, but rather the culmination of many things over the years. 

The more illuminating points for me are below..

https://www.startribune.com/rick-spielma...600136423/

This article is based on conversations with more than 20 people with the team or close to the organization, who were granted anonymity to speak freely about their experiences during Zimmer and Spielman's eight years together. Some saw a coach whose constant prodding and demand for precision brought out the best in players, particularly on defense (the Vikings ranked in the top 10 in points allowed each year from 2015-19). 
But as the team finished out of the playoffs the past two seasons, losing key late-season games each time, many described a working environment that was too impersonal, too unresponsive to change and left them too much on edge.
Individual players, or entire position groups, showed up to work wondering if they'd be dressed down in team meetings, or asked to respond to something the coach said about them in a news conference. Though Zimmer spent much of his time with the defense during the week, he weighed in on the offense enough — on the headset during games, in team meetings or in public comments — to make play-calling a delicate act for many of his six offensive coordinators, especially if they didn't run the ball enough.
Veteran assistants like Tony Sparano, the Vikings' offensive line coach from 2016 until his death in 2018, or co-defensive coordinator Andre Patterson did damage control with players stung by Zimmer's public criticism or silence (sources said defensive end Danielle Hunter experienced the latter after choosing season-ending surgery on a neck hernia in 2020). Players tried to return quickly from injuries, fearful a longer recovery time would jeopardize their standing in the organization.