Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Drew Lock Be Fixed?
Man, you draw a guy up for what you'd want. 6-4, 230, big arm, athletic. Watched him a fair amount at Mizzou and thought he was worth a first. 

But he's so freaking inconsistent. Some of the throws are truly WTF was he thinking. But then you see it all come together for a few moments, and it looks like you have something.

In a way, it's like watching Mond. One quarter, he looks like a first. The next, he looks like a Day 3 guy, then un-rosterable.

Does a guy like Roman turn Lock into Favre? Because I don't think you coach the gunslinger out of him. But I think a really good QB guy maxes him out.

Cousins for a 2nd and 4th this year, a 2 that moves to a 1 in 2023 with snap % like Wentz got.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Man, you draw a guy up for what you'd want. 6-4, 230, big arm, athletic. Watched him a fair amount at Mizzou and thought he was worth a first. 

But he's so freaking inconsistent. Some of the throws are truly WTF was he thinking. But then you see it all come together for a few moments, and it looks like you have something.

In a way, it's like watching Mond. One quarter, he looks like a first. The next, he looks like a Day 3 guy, then un-rosterable.

Does a guy like Roman turn Lock into Favre? Because I don't think you coach the gunslinger out of him. But I think a really good QB guy maxes him out.

Cousins for a 2nd and 4th this year, a 2 that moves to a 1 in 2023 with snap % like Wentz got.
This is interesting,   you still bring in a bridge QB to tale the pressure off Mond and Lock and make the battle between them for the #2 for the start of the year and as the season progresses you see if the winner is ready to challenge for the #1 spot.  I won't expect much the first year for any new coach,  especially if there is mass changes ro the systems, roster, etc.  Might as well take a big swing at the QB of the future while the new organization settles in and focuses on getting the lines fixed and their systems in place.

Honestly though,  if Cousins would play for about a deal keeping him under 15% of the cap i think that extra 5 mill or so would go a long way towards putting that better OL in front of him.  A couple extra million to each interior position is a huge net gain in talent potentially.  

Interesting bit on Mond from Kubiak this week when asked if Zimmer overlooking Mond is a testament to Monds abilities. 

At a media conference on Thursday, Kubiak was asked to give his thoughts on the swirling speculation that Mond’s rookie campaign has been a disappointment.
“It would be unfair because he hasn’t played this year,” said Kubiak. “But I’d say the things he could control, which was being in the meeting room, being the first guy in, being the last guy out, studying, asking the great questions, trying to stay after practice every day, getting there early before practice — as far as all of those things, he was aces.
“He did a great job of trying to get the most out of his talent. It’s yet to be seen what he’s going to become, but I know if it’s going to be up to his work ethic, then that’s going to be no question because he’s a worker. He loves the game, cares about the game and his teammates. I think once he gets his opportunity to go play, I think he’s going to do a good job.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/01...trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook

I believe Fitzpatrick is a FA.

Rumor was the Vikings wanted Drew Lock to be part of a potential trade with Denver earlier in the year. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos...un-with-me

Its possible he could be 'fixed', but unlikely. He's got the moxie and swagger....but unless you are Brett Favre, teams will not put up with the gunslinger/inconsistency/INTs that go with that mentality. Mike Holmgren almost gave up on him (Favre) and even when he turned a corner, he still frustrated the hell out of Holmgren. Lock is full of potential, but we've seen guys squander that since I've been watching the NFL.

yea I was thinking about Lock watching that game plus I don't think Rodgers is going anywhere so Denver might be/should be interested in Cousin's.  Paton obviously knows him better then anyone so if they don't show interest in Cousin's I think that would be very telling in a negative way Smile

Also, Minshew is interesting.

Mayfield as well but obviously he would come at a much higher cost then the others.  Mayfield played hurt almost the whole year but if I remember correctly he was one of the top QB's going down the stretch and in the playoffs in 2020. 

There are a lot of scenario's at QB and I hope we make a move on from Cousin's....just my opinion not based on anything but what I have watched for 4 years.   

Please no. He's god-awful. The difference between when Teddy was playing and Lock was remarkable. This "...he's so freaking inconsistent. Some of the throws are truly WTF was he thinking. But then you see it all come together for a few moments..." almost never gets fixed. 

One look at Lock and every Kirk hater in the world would be worshipping at his altar, begging forgiveness.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Please no. He's god-awful. The difference between when Teddy was playing and Lock was remarkable. This "...he's so freaking inconsistent. Some of the throws are truly WTF was he thinking. But then you see it all come together for a few moments..." almost never gets fixed. 

One look at Lock and every Kirk hater in the world would be worshipping at his altar, begging forgiveness.  
We were at a restaurant yesterday after a nice trip to Park Meadows (that local bit was for you MB...), and the game was on.

The normally forgiving Broncos fans were alternately yelling, laughing (at his throws), screaming "What was that?", and cheering. 3/4 aren't good fan reactions.

It was to the point that I quietly noticed it, but then my Wife (who only watched Vikings games on the periphery) said, "What's up with the Broncos QB? Seems to be giving these fans multiple personality disorder."

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Not banging the table for lock,  but Kirk has his share of WTF throws for a guy making more bank and having as much experience as he does.  Hell every QB out there makes throws that has their fans pulling their hair out.  The real determination of greatness is do those throws lessen with experience while still being able to make the great plays with their arm.

We are putting the horse before the cart of course when discussing what to do about Cousins...I think that is a given but worth repeating because whenever a poster brings up any QB that might be available through FA or a Cousin's would be trade would, of course, be vetted by GM and HC and we don't know who those people are right now.  

Pure Speculation on Lock only because we know the Broncos are in a veteran QB market and see a window with the rest of the team.  Then you add our connection to their GM. The Broncos are in a very similar situation as we were when we signed Kirk 4 seasons ago maybe he is enough for them to get over the hump with better coaching/team surround and consistent play.

Do I think Lock is a good starting QB right now....not at all.  But he is young and may have some coaching-up to do - IDK, that is for a new regime to figure out.