Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- Best Bass players of all time
Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Stanley Clarke
THIS

Have studied / played music my entire life.  The minute I read the thread title “Stanley Clarke” automatically popped in my head. 

Folks not familiar with his work, do yourself a favor and give him a listen.  I’m almost envious for your discovery.

Drummer / Percussionist ?

Billy Cobham 

Sad in a way that Rock has neglected their R&B and Jazz influences.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
Stanley Clarke
THIS

Have studied / played music my entire life.  The minute I read the thread title “Stanley Clarke” automatically popped in my head. 

Folks not familiar with his work, do yourself a favor and give him a listen.  I’m almost envious for your discovery.

Drummer / Percussionist ?

Billy Cobham 

Sad in a way that Rock has neglected their R&B and Jazz influences.
Only concert I've ever had front row tickets for. Amazing performance.

Quote: @El_Padre said:
Was always a big fan of Cliff Burton. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRArbRr-61E

Bass solo take one....

Good list. Jaco Pastorius. I'm not a huge jazz fan, but he's probably the best player I've heard.  I tend to prefer space over speed in my music, so my favorite is probably Sting. If you're a music lover, check out Rick Beato's stuff on Youtube. I can watch it all day. 

If we're staying in the realm of rock, not a bad list. Some underrated options that are worthy of mention:
  • Doug Wimbish- Dude is an animal. His work with Living Colour was amazing.
  •  Steve Harris- Pretty legendary bassist for Iron Maiden.
  • Justin Chancellor- Tool bassist. Has incredible time, and the polymeters they play make it insane that he keeps time the way he does.
  • Trey Spruance- Mr. Bungle. You likely haven't heard them (they are Mike Patton's high school band. The music is not for everyone, but his bass playing is incredible.
  • Jon Stockman- My favorite bass tone ever. His bass sounds massive! Going to be something like the Chancellor pick, but he plays with his fingers and just has incredible tone. Check out the song Goliath... 27/4 time signature!