Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Mac Jones Solidify His Gold Jacket Today?
Quote: @mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:
This week, we can bring back out the Gold jacket for Mac Jones.  

22/30    227 yards    3 TD's   O Int's

Bill Belichick didn’t hold back any love for Mac Jones.
The usually stoic Patriots coach gushed over the rookie quarterback following New England’s 50-10 win over the Jaguars on Sunday.
“Mac’s super consistent,” Beilchick told reporters. “Every day is really the same day for Mac. He’s always well prepared, he’s in early, he’s ready to go. He knows what we’re gonna be doing and he’s got a head start on it. He maximizes the information the coaches give him. 
“Maximizes the walkthroughs, the practice reps and learns from whatever happens in those situations. He’s smart, he’s a good learner but he’s got good instincts, good mechanics. He’s just worked hard to get better every day.” 
Jones threw for three touchdowns and 227 yards in the win. The Alabama product has played well for the 10-6 Patriots, who clinched a playoff spot after missing last postseason when Cam Newton replaced Tom Brady as the Patriots starter.

Then we have our HC talk about our rookie QB, who apparently isn't well prepared which has nothing to do with his coaching???  
Bill got the robot he wanted. Seems like a good match. He's set up for success. I have no idea what his ceiling is but the thought that he's the most NFL ready guy to come out in the Draft seems spot on
So now Jones is a robot. LOL.
Regarding the bold part…
We sure could have used one on Sunday night dont you think?
Robot in the good way, like Bill likes them. Its a compliment. New England has an incredible system offensively, tried and true for a QB like Jones. They keep things consistent, which is very good for a QB over the longer term. 

Quote: @mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:

The usually stoic Patriots coach gushed over the rookie quarterback following New England’s 50-10 win over the Jaguars on Sunday.
“Mac’s super consistent,” Beilchick told reporters. “Every day is really the same day for Mac. He’s always well prepared, he’s in early, he’s ready to go. He knows what we’re gonna be doing and he’s got a head start on it. He maximizes the information the coaches give him. 
“Maximizes the walkthroughs, the practice reps and learns from whatever happens in those situations. He’s smart, he’s a good learner but he’s got good instincts, good mechanics. He’s just worked hard to get better every day.” 
Jones threw for three touchdowns and 227 yards in the win. The Alabama product has played well for the 10-6 Patriots, who clinched a playoff spot after missing last postseason when Cam Newton replaced Tom Brady as the Patriots starter.

Then we have our HC talk about our rookie QB, who apparently isn't well prepared which has nothing to do with his coaching???  
Bill got the robot he wanted. Seems like a good match. He's set up for success. I have no idea what his ceiling is but the thought that he's the most NFL ready guy to come out in the Draft seems spot on

Anyway, I thought it was too early to make any conclusions about Jones...
It is. Trust me on that.

We really should stop trying to turn Mac Jones into the next great QB. He's exactly what he was supposed to be. If I had a dollar for every rave given about rookie or 2nd year QBs I could retire. But every year we do the same thing, as if our brains get sucked out of our heads and we forget about that great rookie last year, and the one the year before, and the one the year before that, who've since fizzled out.

Mac's year is roughly equivalent to what Danny Dimes did his rookie season in New York. Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston were similar as well. RGIII and Baker Mayfield had much better rookie years. Wentz and Goff both exploded their 2nd seasons. Both made the Pro Bowl. And now both are clearly replacement level. Is it possible he improves like Josh Allen? Yes, but he doesn't have that kind of physical talent. 

OK, I post this less as an indictment on Jones and more of a caution to those who want to dump Cousins and throw in our hand for a new set of cards. Just....be careful what you wish for. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:

It is. Trust me on that.

We really should stop trying to turn Mac Jones into the next great QB. He's exactly what he was supposed to be. If I had a dollar for every rave given about rookie or 2nd year QBs I could retire. But every year we do the same thing, as if our brains get sucked out of our heads and we forget about that great rookie last year, and the one the year before, and the one the year before that, who've since fizzled out.

Mac's year is roughly equivalent to what Danny Dimes did his rookie season in New York. Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston were similar as well. RGIII and Baker Mayfield had much better rookie years. Wentz and Goff both exploded their 2nd seasons. Both made the Pro Bowl. And now both are clearly replacement level. Is it possible he improves like Josh Allen? Yes, but he doesn't have that kind of physical talent. 

OK, I post this less as an indictment on Jones and more of a caution to those who want to dump Cousins and throw in our hand for a new set of cards. Just....be careful what you wish for. 
It's not the cards Cousins represents,  it's the fact that he is suited face cards pre flop and the call is all in.  Those cards will win a lot of hands,   but the cost can keep you from playing even better hands...so do you roll with those pocket 8s, or do you fold and save your chips for a potentially stronger hand?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:

It is. Trust me on that.

It's not the cards Cousins represents,  it's the fact that he is suited face cards pre flop and the call is all in.  Those cards will win a lot of hands,   but the cost can keep you from playing even better hands...so do you roll with those pocket 8s, or do you fold and save your chips for a potentially stronger hand?
I assume you're speaking English only because I recognize some of the words.  B)

Here's how I see it. We're dealt a 3-of-a-kind. Instead of drawing two to improve our hand, we discard all five and ask for a new hand. Is there a chance we're going to draw a full house from the deck? Sure. But it's more likely we end up with crap.

Best thing the Vikings can do is replace Zimmer with a creative offensive coach who syncs well with Cousins, Cook, etc. Extend Cousins. With Jefferson, Thielen, Cook, ISJ and a rebuilt, albeit very young, OL, Vikings will have an offense to contend with for another couple seasons at least. 

Sign Barr's replacement. Then draft an edge and a corner. The north is ours in '22, bitches. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:

It is. Trust me on that.

I assume you're speaking English only because I recognize some of the words.  B)

Here's how I see it. We're dealt a 3-of-a-kind. Instead of drawing two to improve our hand, we discard all five and ask for a new hand. Is there a chance we're going to draw a full house from the deck? Sure. But it's more likely we end up with crap.

Best thing the Vikings can do is replace Zimmer with a creative offensive coach who syncs well with Cousins, Cook, etc. Extend Cousins. With Jefferson, Thielen, Cook, ISJ and a rebuilt, albeit very young, OL, Vikings will have an offense to contend with for another couple seasons at least. 

Sign Barr's replacement. Then draft an edge and a corner. The north is ours in '22, bitches. 
Again, of course it is way too early to evaluate any rookie, but this thread was created to knock Mac Jones for some reason...I conclude it is deflection from our own problems, could be wrong.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for '22 as I remember the same this time last year regarding Zimmer and the team Smile

Now I'm pretty sure we all agree to move on from Zimmer.  Also, a poll I did a few weeks ago had 18 votes split 50/50 on keeping Spelly.  

This season I have moved off of Cousins being our answer for a playoff run.  We can't even win the division so it would require a playoff run.

I am for trying to shake free of Cousins and the 45 million at almost all cost (not 45Smile I know, without a trade, we are in a position where we have to stretch out the 45 with a new contract/extension and I am going to hate that.  It will be, for me, like watching Zimmer prove me right the last few years, when I wanted to be wrong.  

A trade of Cousins, would likely, have us incur at least 10 million of the 45 million and a flip of QB's?  

I am going to try and think of some of those trade scenario's, so I don't have to think about Zimmer and Cousins leading the team next year.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:

It is. Trust me on that.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for '22 as I remember the same this time last year regarding Zimmer and the team Smile
The enthusiasm was legit. Holy hell man, Griffen on one side, Hunter on the other. Fill the middle with DT and Pierce, and oh for extra measure let's add Sheldon Richardson, too. P2, Breeland, good looking 2nd year corner in Dantzler, Harry, Woods, Barr, Kendricks. On the other side, the NFL's highest rated passer from a clean pocket finally had legit bookend tackles. I'd argue that Darrisaw was every bit as good as Reiff was last year. They just need more time together, but the future looks bright. Let's not forget ISJ, who was unbelievable in the preseason. Am I forgetting anyone? Oh yeah, Adam Thielen and Justin freaking Jefferson, Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison. And we found a pretty good WR3 in Osborne. Hell, even our special teams were decent: Fast Kenny. We finally had a kicker who wasn't horrible, DeDe returning punts. Man, the roster is there. 

No objective person could look at this team and argue that its problem was a lack of talent. In fact, it's absurd to say so. 

So what the hell happened? Zimmer happened. Sure, he had to deal with some bizarro stuff--the missed kick, the non fumble, losing Hunter, Griffen, ISJ, some Covid shit, but every team has to deal with stuff like that. What every team doesn't have to deal with is discovering new and kick-yer-dog ways to lose games you dominated for stretches. That's on Zimmer. 

Either Zimmer was given a talented team and screwed it up. Or he wasn't given talent and he's not to blame. You can't have it both ways, even though fans incapable of separating roles will frequently try.

I think the answer is obvious. I mean it goddamn well should be. 

@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:

It is. Trust me on that.

The enthusiasm was legit. Holy hell man, Griffen on one side, Hunter on the other. Fill the middle with DT and Pierce, and oh for extra measure let's add Sheldon Richardson, too. P2, Breeland, good looking 2nd year corner in Dantzler, Harry, Woods, Barr, Kendricks. On the other side, the NFL's highest rated passer from a clean pocket finally had legit bookend tackles. I'd argue that Darrisaw was every bit as good as Reiff was last year. They just need more time together, but the future looks bright. Let's not forget ISJ, who was unbelievable in the preseason. Am I forgetting anyone? Oh yeah, Adam Thielen and Justin freaking Jefferson, Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison. And we found a pretty good WR3 in Osborne. Hell, even our special teams were decent: Fast Kenny. We finally had a kicker who wasn't horrible, DeDe returning punts. Man, the roster is there. 

No objective person could look at this team and argue that its problem was a lack of talent. In fact, it's absurd to say so. 

So what the hell happened? Zimmer happened. Sure, he had to deal with some bizarro stuff--the missed kick, the non fumble, losing Hunter, Griffen, ISJ, some Covid shit, but every team has to deal with stuff like that. What every team doesn't have to deal with is discovering new and kick-yer-dog ways to lose games you dominated for stretches. That's on Zimmer. 

Either Zimmer was given a talented team and screwed it up. Or he wasn't given talent and he's not to blame. You can't have it both ways, even though fans incapable of separating roles will frequently try.

Zimmer should have been gone 3 seasons ago - fired after 2018 not 2021 and counting.  

Back to enthusiasm for 2022.

I want to see a new HC (3 seasons and running for me) and would love to see us somehow get out of having Cousins as our QB.  

I don't want to be wading through next season watching Cousin's.  We have to get out of his deal IMO...trade at almost all cost, absorb more than the 10 million. 

Just my opinion, but we need the Cousin's era over as soon as possible and I don't want to be sitting here in 2 or 3 years (like Zimmer) watching either of them validate my opinion and steal my enthusiasm for my beloved Vikings! 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:

It is. Trust me on that.

Zimmer should have been gone 3 seasons ago - fired after 2018 not 2021 and counting.  

Back to enthusiasm for 2022.

I want to see a new HC (3 seasons and running for me) and would love to see us somehow get out of having Cousins as our QB.  

I don't want to be wading through next season watching Cousin's.  We have to get out of his deal IMO...trade at almost all cost, absorb more than the 10 million. 

Just my opinion, but we need the Cousin's era over as soon as possible and I don't want to be sitting here in 2 or 3 years (like Zimmer) watching either of them validate my opinion and steal my enthusiasm for my beloved Vikings! 
While I don't agree with you about Cousins (I definitely extend him), I could see that happening, largely due to the contract and the culture of "change" that seems to be afoot...at least in the angry media.

And trading Cousins, assuming we get at least one 1st rounder, is not something that would upset me too much. Yes, we'll miss his durability and his accuracy and may not replace it for 5, 10, 20 years. But who knows? Maybe a QB with more moxie and better leadership can do things Cousins can't. 

Love to know where and when that QB comes from tho. Guessing JJ, Thielen, Dalvin and ISJ would like to know as well.