Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins & Zim combo needs to end
Hahahaha - Barr's comments, seriously?  He hasn't made any noise since he broke Rodger's collarbone.  He is the last dude I would expect from our team talking smack about a lack of splash from the crowd.

As for Cousins, he isn't going anywhere with his cap numbers or his stat numbers (which are really good).  Realize what you have - a very good pocket passer which requires a very good OL to give him time.  Shore up the OL (I know, for the 20th year in a row) some more to help him be the best him!  Oh, and keep drafting QB's every draft (preferably before the 6th and 7th rounds) until you hit gold.  Damn, it sounds so easy from where I am sitting (LOL).

Quote: @Psyched Vike said:
Hahahaha - Barr's comments, seriously?  He hasn't made any noise since he broke Rodger's collarbone.  He is the last dude I would expect from our team talking smack about a lack of splash from the crowd.

As for Cousins, he isn't going anywhere with his cap numbers or his stat numbers (which are really good).  Realize what you have - a very good pocket passer which requires a very good OL to give him time.  Shore up the OL (I know, for the 20th year in a row) some more to help him be the best him!  Oh, and keep drafting QB's every draft (preferably before the 6th and 7th rounds) until you hit gold.  Damn, it sounds so easy from where I am sitting (LOL).
Funny…
  1. Weve been drafting Oline players for over 10 years and our Oline still sucks
  2. Weve been drafting dbs since zimmer got here and we still need dbs
  3. We’ve been drafting dline men for a while now (not as much as oline) and we cant seem to stop the run. Heck we need interior Dline help.
  4. We tried drafting a QB and whiffed, took Teddy and got hit by the injury bug so we are scared and dont have the courage to draft a QB high do we pretend we arr addressing this position… the most critical position on the team by drafting in the late and way late rounds 
Some of us are tired of watching this movie. Maybe we change the decision makers

#Vikings are No. 28 in the NFL in rush defense, giving up 130.5 yards per game. That's in line to be the worst ranking in Mike Zimmer's eight seasons. They were No. 27 last year. Vikings are No. 29 in total defense, also in line to be Zimmer's worst. They were No. 27 last year.

Yup, definitely need to move Cousins. You betcha.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Most importantly, it is not either Zimmer or Cousins.

At this point, jettisoning Zimmer is a no brainer.  Just consider this list:
  • Ant Exum
  • Kendall James
  • Jabari Price
  • Trae Waynes
  • Mac Alexander
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Jack Tocho
  • Mike Hughes
  • Marcus Epps
  • Kris Boyd
  • Jeff Gladney
  • Cameron Danzler
  • Harrison Hand
  • Josh Metellus
  • Brian Cole
  • Camryn Bynum.
16 DBs drafted over 8 drafts by the cornerback whisperer.

As for Cousins, teams can win SBs with average QBs and Cousins is better than average.  But he is also a stat collector -- lots of empty stats.  He is also a salary cap consumer.   But I think that what bothers me the most is I don't see him as a charismatic leader.  I may be wrong, but I don't see the team rallying behind him.  I don't see him lifting everyone up.

JMHO.

*16 DBs drafted by Spielman
On that list...  5 were taken in the first 3 rounds?  Trae Waynes and Mac Alexander were good players for us.  Dantzler had a good rookie year in coverage but hasn't been as good this year.  Hughes was good in limited action but was a bust here due to injuries, Zimmer can't control that.  Gladney was an idiot, again how is that Zimmer's fault?  The rest were Day 3 picks which Spielman has historically used to draft special teams players. Of those guys, Kearse developed into a good backup and is still playing in Dallas.

I guess I can't fault Zimmer for not developing late round picks who aren't as talented as players taken 100+ picks earlier. 

The reason our secondary sucks today is because Spielman wanted an expensive QB (Cousins) and we had to make some tough cap decisions and let all 3 of Rhodes, Waynes, and Mac leave two years ago.  Spielman's picks of Hughes and Gladney didn't work out.  I think you can point to a lot of our deficiencies in 2021 to Spielman and how he's constructed this roster.  We haven't done a good job of finding good DBs or pass rushers to replace Rhodes, Waynes, Harris, Newman, Robison, or Griffen who helped this defense dominate from 2015-2019.  It's as simple as that.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
#Vikings are No. 28 in the NFL in rush defense, giving up 130.5 yards per game. That's in line to be the worst ranking in Mike Zimmer's eight seasons. They were No. 27 last year. Vikings are No. 29 in total defense, also in line to be Zimmer's worst. They were No. 27 last year.

Can we thank RS for the two FA signings to bring back the "Williams Wall"?   Man, were some fans falsely sold on that notion.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@VikingOracle said:
Most importantly, it is not either Zimmer or Cousins.

At this point, jettisoning Zimmer is a no brainer.  Just consider this list:
  • Ant Exum
  • Kendall James
  • Jabari Price
  • Trae Waynes
  • Mac Alexander
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Jack Tocho
  • Mike Hughes
  • Marcus Epps
  • Kris Boyd
  • Jeff Gladney
  • Cameron Danzler
  • Harrison Hand
  • Josh Metellus
  • Brian Cole
  • Camryn Bynum.
16 DBs drafted over 8 drafts by the cornerback whisperer.

JMHO.

*16 DBs drafted by Spielman
On that list...  5 were taken in the first 3 rounds?  Trae Waynes and Mac Alexander were good players for us.  Dantzler had a good rookie year in coverage but hasn't been as good this year.  Hughes was good in limited action but was a bust here due to injuries, Zimmer can't control that.  Gladney was an idiot, again how is that Zimmer's fault?  The rest were Day 3 picks which Spielman has historically used to draft special teams players. Of those guys, Kearse developed into a good backup and is still playing in Dallas.

I guess I can't fault Zimmer for not developing late round picks who aren't as talented as players taken 100+ picks earlier. 

The reason our secondary sucks today is because Spielman wanted an expensive QB (Cousins) and we had to make some tough cap decisions and let all 3 of Rhodes, Waynes, and Mac leave two years ago.  Spielman's picks of Hughes and Gladney didn't work out.  I think you can point to a lot of our deficiencies in 2021 to Spielman and how he's constructed this roster.  We haven't done a good job of finding good DBs or pass rushers to replace Rhodes, Waynes, Harris, Newman, Robison, or Griffen who helped this defense dominate from 2015-2019.  It's as simple as that.
First, you seem to want to blame Spielmen for the failure of DB draft picks.  No one is going to convince me that Zimmer did not totally approve each and every DB drafted.

Now, you also blame Spielman for cutting Rhodes after 2019.  I don't think anyone but you advocate retaining Rhodes under his contract.  Let's look at the facts.  In 2019, Rhodes had a PFF score of 46.4 (125th-best in the NFL) and allowed a 123.8 passer-rating-against.  He was scheduled to make $12.9 million against the salary cap in 2020.  So, under the DB whisper, Rhodes play greatly regressed.  The next year, with Colts and out from under Zimmer?  His PFF grade has rocketed to the top of the league at 78.4 – sixth-best for corners.  With the Colts, his passer-rating-against plummeted to 78.1.  So, just using Rhodes, Zimmer ultimately failed.  

Now, let's look at the other first round draft picks, Waynes and Hughes.  Waynes was picked no. 11 overall.  Sorry, but I personally expected better than a "good player" when picked #11 and I expect them to last past their rookie contract.  Hughes found his way into Zimmer's doghouse and was recently defensive player of the week for the Chiefs.  I don't think Mac, a 2nd round draft pick, has lived up to his draft position either.

Again, this is not a Spielman or Zimmer decision (I am leaning towards Spielman and Zimmer jettison).  I am just saying if you judge Zimmer simply on his purported strength -- developing DBs -- he has failed.

What Cousins done for us? Pretty much a 500 record and probably two loosing seasons. :o
For the money he is getting paid that is unacceptable.  

Quote: @Norse said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

What Cousins done for us? Pretty much a 500 record and probably two loosing seasons. :o
And the #29 D gets a pass. Gotcha.

@Norse said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

And the #29 D gets a pass. Gotcha.

Nope Zimmer and his D is the other half of the problem