Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thielen
Quote: @minny65 said:
We have a lot of other problems to solve before I even think about Thielen's progression planning.  Thielen is an expert route runner who is very QB friendly.  Watching the Browns horrible WR core last night combined with a youngish QB makes one realize that Thielen is a huge asset especially if we have a new QB.   
He is, but if he continues to miss multiple games and is then 32 he may not be as efficient. The team does have other problems that are a bigger priority, I agree, so maybe they trade down this year to pick up another draft pick and maybe its a guy in the second or third round to start grooming. Julio Jones and AJ Green are right around Thielen’s age and their decline has been quick, so I’m just saying he’s someone the team should monitor. 

Cutting him next year would free up about $5.8 mil from the cap, but would leave about $11 mil dead.  Cutting him in 2023 frees up $11 mil and leaves about $6 mil in dead cap.  Short of a trade, I'd bring him back one more year.  Not that anyone is really saying cut him out right, but I thought we had an out in his contract, but it doesn't appear that we do. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi...len-13071/

Quote: @El_Padre said:
Cutting him next year would free up about $5.8 mil from the cap, but would leave about $11 mil dead.  Cutting him in 2023 frees up $11 mil and leaves about $6 mil in dead cap.  Short of a trade, I'd bring him back one more year.  Not that anyone is really saying cut him out right, but I thought we had an out in his contract, but it doesn't appear that we do. 

Thanks for looking that up. No way would I say cut him…just saying maybe there’s a team that would give a nice return via trade. I dont know when it would be but it wouldnt hurt to see what the offers are sooner rather than later

Post June 1st cut would net $12.645 million in savings, $4.3 in dead cap. Certainly not washed but is a prime candidate for renegotiation. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@El_Padre said:

Thanks for looking that up. No way would I say cut him…just saying maybe there’s a team that would give a nice return via trade. I dont know when it would be but it wouldnt hurt to see what the offers are sooner rather than later
Agreed, I love Thielen but if there's value there and the team needs to make some incremental tweaks for a new staff, some decisions like this might be in order. 

Quote: @mblack said:
@JR44 said:
Thielen was the one guy gutting it out today and giving it his all, if the rest of the team played as hard we would have won this game.  Lost a lot of respect for him this year by not getting vexed, but I give him credit he has been bringing it every play.  Most guys would not tried playing today and would have stayed on the sidelines after limping off, but he kept getting himself back on the field.  He is not losing the #2 spot any time soon.  
I am curious how you measured this. I saw a guy playing hard and frustrated he could not do more because of his injury. That does not say his team mates were not playing hard.
Go listen to the JJ interview, he talks about how the team played with very little energy and he could feel it when he first walked into the locker room.  Watching our DL get pushed off the line on most plays, I think it was pretty obvious this team was not bringing it 100%.