Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change in rules to better the game
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Its a gladiator game,  you can't have it both ways.  Either you want flag football or you have to be willing to accept injuries,  often to key players that put themselves in those positions. 
It can't be like this: these are human beings that have life after football. We see now that CTE is real. And how crippled up they get because of the punishment. Injuries are one thing, life long physical issues and debilitating mental disorders are something altogether different. You have to try and make things better and sometimes QBs are completely helpless and get annihilated. How is this good for the game? These are the stars of the league. I'm not saying I don't understand the pussy calls that the refs throw flags on as it can be ridiculous and inconsistent. But to say its just a 'gladiator' game and that's how it goes isn't right knowing what we know now medically. 
When they leave the pocket,   they are not helpless.  Honesty there isn't another position on the field that is less in control of how and when the get hit.  In the pocket they are a vulnerable passer,  but once  they choose to leave that tackle box they should no longer be afforded that protection.  They started to call it that way with teams that went option heavy/ wildcat,  should be that way for every qb on every snap.  

Or,  like I said,  make it flag football and be done.  Trying to make it "safe" for some and not others is ruining the game.  And besides,  many of these rules aren't about player safety as much as they are about owners protecting their investments to keep them on the field generating profits.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
This would make the NFL as watchable as soccer.  Most QBs out by week 9.

Simpler solution would be to get some refs who didn't suck complete ass.
That rule didn't exist when most on here started watching the game and it was then much more enjoyable than soccer... with today's version I would say its only marginally better.

To many of the new rules are so much up to the discretion of the officials,  this is becoming professional wrestling more than soccer.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
The pussification of the QB position is a large part of what is ruining the game for me.  Once they leave the pocket period they should be free game,  dont want to get hit...go play fucking tennis.

Or like Brady has said,  it shouldn't be on the defense to protect receivers,   that's the QBs job.  If the QB is going they've those receivers out to dry they will learn and won't run those routes or make those plays on the ball. 

Its a gladiator game,  you can't have it both ways.  Either you want flag football or you have to be willing to accept injuries,  often to key players that put themselves in those positions. 
OK, Overreaction Jackson. That's a ridiculously hyperbolic range of outcomes. How about we like tackle football, we're willing to accept injuries, we like the concussion protocols in place, but the refs need to ratchet down their sensitivity a teensy bit. 

There are a few things that frustrate me that go against "the spirit of the game."  It is 2021, and we don't have dedicated goal line cameras at every game?  Let alone sensors in the ball that can say if it passed the goal line or not? I really think ref's should be in the booth.  We have the camera technology now that they could see exactly what they needed.  To me, ref's controlling the game should not be part of the experience. 

Intentional grounding is a joke. Qb can spike the ball to stop the clock. Qb can Intentionally throw it at the feet of a RB when defense sniffs out the screen. If the QB is running for his life and just throws it away to protect himself its intentional grounding. Just dumb imo

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
The pussification of the QB position is a large part of what is ruining the game for me.  Once they leave the pocket period they should be free game,  dont want to get hit...go play fucking tennis.

Or like Brady has said,  it shouldn't be on the defense to protect receivers,   that's the QBs job.  If the QB is going they've those receivers out to dry they will learn and won't run those routes or make those plays on the ball. 

OK, Overreaction Jackson. That's a ridiculously hyperbolic range of outcomes. How about we like tackle football, we're willing to accept injuries, we like the concussion protocols in place, but the refs need to ratchet down their sensitivity a teensy bit. 
Or just get rid of the arbitrary rules to take the refs out of if.  Go back and watch games from the 90s and compare that to today's game.  You can still have the concussion protocols to help prevent the long term brain damage,, without the complete bullshit rules we have today that are ruining the game.

One way to improve safety would be to slow the players down by playing on a different surface. But that wouldn't be as exciting for fans. Players have become bigger, faster, and stronger and work out constantly to achieve their best physical condition only to risk it all for big money.
I love the game but hate the injuries.
The refs having too much influence on the games is likely to continue and the game will never be what it was. Only time will tell if that is good or bad.

My changes:
  1. Get rid of sliding.  It's dumb.  I think there are more injuries caused by QBs sliding late, then there are prevented by sliding.
  2. If you fake going out of bounds, you are just out of bounds.  You have to go out of bounds (or slide if that's still a rule) with enough time for defenders to react appropriately.  If you wait until the last fraction of a second, and they are in the process of drilling you by the time you complete the act of giving yourself up, that's not a penalty on them.
  3. DPI is a max of 15 yards, however if the foul happens beyond the first down line, they get a first down, otherwise no free first down.  And I would make it harder to get DPI.  The ball has to be realistically catchable.  I think DBs should be allowed to be very handsy, but in a pushy way, but not grabby.  We should encourage defenders to try and make plays on the ball rather than big hits.  If they grab the receivers hands, call the penalty.  If they knock the receivers hands early, so be it.  Receiver should do a better job of getting open.
  4. I totally agree that we need better cameras, every game should have 12 on the field cameras, looking exactly down the goallines from both directions, and out of bounds in both directions on all 4 sides of the field. Whatever cameras and camera locations are required to call the game well should be mandated.  You shouldn't have lower quality reffing, because this is the 4th best game for the channel, and they only have half the cameras.  Let the station use whatever cameras they want in addition to the required ones.
  5. Every part of every play should be entirely subject to instant replay.  If a penalty was missed.  Call the penalty.  If a TO happened but you called it an incomplete pass, make it right.  I really hate that refs are encouraged to call the play wrong, because it means that instant replay can fix it, but then there's not enough information to overturn the call, which was only called that way because then it was allowed to review it.  If a ref knows they missed something, don't guess, call in the booth ref to look at the video of it.
  6. Also, bigger roster sizes and get rid of the practice squads.  We need to encourage players to stick with teams and develop.  I might even say something like, teams are required to have 4 QBs on roster to encourage better QB development.  Not 100% sure on that though.