Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why we win
It's the little things and we aren't beating ourselves:

Penalties:
2nd least penalized team with second lowest in penalty yards - one of the least penalized teams in the NFL which is a reflection on coaching
Our opponents have been penalized the Most yards and the 3rd most penalties.

Punting/ST:
Ryan Wright has been a monster especially yesterday with 10 punts 6 inside the 20.  He leads the league in punts inside the 20 and our coverage unit has allowed 10 returns for a total of 53 yards which is top 5.

Turnovers and differential:
We are 3rd in differential at +5.  We only have 1 fumble and 5 Int's while creating 5 of each at opportune times, I will add. 

Anecdotes - Our defense is a sieve at times, but we are tied with 4 other teams for the 6th most sacks and we are above average on 3rd down stops.  
Our offense is generated by the best WR in the game - JJ - so smooth and beats double teams when needed.  
I know this can be taken like a negative, but I will add a fourth category:

Luck (and tied to luck is our lack of injuries):

Our schedule and timing of playing teams and their starting QB's have been a big advantage.  So the old saying "it's not who you play but when you play them" has also worked in our favor.  We also have been extremely healthy and now have our bye week to rest up and get ready for a struggling Cardinal team at home.  

Before the season I was hoping we could squeeze through the early part of the season with a few wins with a buildup to seeing a more consistent team or a building team.  I also eyed up the week 10 - 15 stretch as a soft spot to build and win some games.  You never know before the season but who would have thought the Giants would be 5-1 and Jets 4-2.  Not that I think either team is that good, but we haven't put together a complete good game either.  The closest was our opener against GB but we have not really shown progression on Off, Def.  ST's have been our most consistent unit.  

I'm really enjoying the ride of a young, growing team that is finding ways to win on the little things.  Wait until our Offense actually clicks for a whole game, or our defense unit starts to put the new system in order.  I think the best is yet to come but not sure how good.  All that matters is building towards the end of the season and playing better and better going into the playoffs.  I don't think we peaked early unlike I think the Jets and Giants might be.  

I like it Minny!

I dont know what the ceiling is for this team, but the floor is higher than I originally thought. 

I am hoping we can go .500 the rest of the way, that is not an easy schedule!

2 season ending road games @GB and @Chicago are imo at best a split:

Zona  (W)
@ Washington  (?)
@ Bills (L)
Cowboys (?)
Patriots (W)
Jets (?)
@ Lions (L)
Colts (W)
Giants (W) 
@ GB (L)
@Chi (?)

In the NFL, the margin between winning and losing most weeks is razor thin. On the road, it's even smaller. The fact that the Vikings are doing so well in those categories is a big reason we're 5-1 at this point. Great post, Minny.

If the Vikings can maintain that trend as the season progresses, they'll win a bunch more games.  I also think this reflects well on O'Connell and the coaching staff.  It's tough to do that with a rookie HC and a team that is adjusting to a new offense and completely new defense.

It's early, but I think we got ourselves a really good HC.

NFL insider notes: How Vikings went from the league's worst to best in one key metric, plus more from Week 6 (msn.com)

OH, I was going to add a 5th reason, situational football (kidding, I found this article)

"The first-year head coach saw a Vikings team that was downright dreadful at situational football. The 2021 Vikings were the worst in the league that season. By some metrics cobbled together by the staff there, they were actually the worst in modern NFL history at situational ball.
The 2022 Minnesota Vikings are arguably the best situational football team in the NFL today. "Situational masters" are what O'Connell wants out of his team, and that's what he's getting.
The 2021 Vikings had a minus-73 point differential in the final four minutes of halves last season, by far the worst in the NFL. With two teams left to play in Week 6, the Vikings are the league's best by the same metric: a plus-33 differential."

Quote: @Wetlander said:
In the NFL, the margin between winning and losing most weeks is razor thin. On the road, it's even smaller. The fact that the Vikings are doing so well in those categories is a big reason we're 5-1 at this point. Great post, Minny.

If the Vikings can maintain that trend as the season progresses, they'll win a bunch more games.  I also think this reflects well on O'Connell and the coaching staff.  It's tough to do that with a rookie HC and a team that is adjusting to a new offense and completely new defense.

It's early, but I think we got ourselves a really good HC.
Lots yet to prove, but he certainly is building goodwill right now.  That high bar of expectations may bite him in the ass later, but the low penalties and the game winning drives show very positive.

Will piggyback some thoughts onto this thread as Oracle hasn't gotten his Misc Thoughts posted yet.

Leber and Henderson made some big points in their Between the Lines talk.  

The Vikings didn't get cramps or need IVs.  They practiced in sweats this week to prepare, but really it is up to the players to take care of their bodies before the game and be ready for this.

Leber said that Miami played Base personnel, no nickel.  Took the Vikings a bit to adjust to that, probably took something off the run game early.  Then he also added that CJ Ham was in for all the Viking TDs.

Also, on Theilen's TD, did anyone notice Dalvin taking out 2 rushers?  While O'Neill got away with holding.

And Cousin's long count on Dalvin's TD run.

Good post, Minny! There really ARE good reasons why we're winning and it's mostly tied to coaching as you point out. Penalties, special teams, turnovers and even lack of injuries can be attributed to discipline, culture and a coaching staff who understands their importance. But I think playing/calling smarter situational football is the biggest difference between last year and this. 

There was an article written before the season started that might suggest that our lack of injuries is more than just luck...
Practices were rarely grueling. Players followed an individualized sports science plan designed to minimize injuries, especially soft-tissue strains. There were no "live" periods, meaning no tackling to the ground, and key players regularly limited their reps and sometimes took entire days off. 
Now, I don't want to jinx it, but anyone playing fantasy knows that injuries this year are ridiculous, especially hamstrings. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Vikings have had a single hammy. 

Great post.

IMO the Vikings have avoided injuries.