Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gruden is out
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@medaille said:
@greediron said:

Yup.  The problem for us is the rich and the politician groups are mostly the same group.
They are absolutely the same group, but I would tweak the thought to be something more like, the rich bribed politicians and allowed them into their club.  I think it's important that people remember that there's a corrupting process that happens, and that it's our job to figure out how to both remove corrupt individuals, but also to halt the corruption process.
two words.... term limits

another thought... get rid of the party affiliation on the ballot as well as the party line option that some states still employ.  if people are to lazy to do their homework on the candidates then they shouldnt be helped in the booth.
And an age cap. I live in a state where an 88 year old is up for re-election...and he's probably going to win
I dont know about age,  but certainly a mental capacity test of some sort.  There are 90 year olds that of a more sound mind than people 30 years younger. 
That's too subjective. I sat next to said 88 year old at a networking lunch approximately 3 years back and he could barely eat his soup. He also made some borderline racist comments but thats another story

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@medaille said:
@greediron said:

Yup.  The problem for us is the rich and the politician groups are mostly the same group.
They are absolutely the same group, but I would tweak the thought to be something more like, the rich bribed politicians and allowed them into their club.  I think it's important that people remember that there's a corrupting process that happens, and that it's our job to figure out how to both remove corrupt individuals, but also to halt the corruption process.

another thought... get rid of the party affiliation on the ballot as well as the party line option that some states still employ.  if people are to lazy to do their homework on the candidates then they shouldnt be helped in the booth.
And an age cap. I live in a state where an 88 year old is up for re-election...and he's probably going to win
I dont know about age,  but certainly a mental capacity test of some sort.  There are 90 year olds that of a more sound mind than people 30 years younger. 
That's too subjective. I sat next to said 88 year old at a networking lunch approximately 3 years back and he could barely eat his soup. He also made some borderline racist comments but thats another story
Agreed. The VAST majority of 88-90 year olds have lost a lot capacity-wise. Nobody that old should be allowed to run for office. Hell, I don't want them driving a car. 

I’m less concerned about old people in office if there’s
term limits.  That said, When you look at
our government and Biden is 78, McConnell is 79, Pelosi is 81.  Their mindsets were formed in the 60’s and 70’s.  I don’t see how they can have much in
relation with those that are significantly younger or for that matter even
understand their way of thinking.  Then
you look at Ruth Bader Ginsberg, who was 87 at death and half the country was
wanting her to keep working until she died and was praying she just held out
long enough that the wrong color judge wasn’t appointed.  I think that’s a sad reflection on our
society.  I think an age limit that’s the
same as the age when you can go onto social security isn’t inappropriate.  These people are career politicians and their
greatest contribution to getting elected is that they’ve just been so enmeshed
in the corrupt systems and have a long track record of being complicit with those
systems.  I highly doubt you’d see nearly
as many elderly people winning elections without long track records of serving
the moneyed class.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@medaille said:
@greediron said:

how would it be subjective if it was a standardized test measuring the ability to reason and compute? I had a great grandmother that was acing crosswords and poker games into her 90s,  but her daughter was pretty much a non player at the same age.   I am not advocating for 90 years olds to be elected officials,  but I am saying that age is just a number and to some extent experience and wisdom should get better with age,  as long as that person is still able to be their own person and not just a puppet being influenced by the promise of an ice cream cone if hes a good boy and does what hes told.

@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@medaille said:
@greediron said:

how would it be subjective if it was a standardized test measuring the ability to reason and compute? I had a great grandmother that was acing crosswords and poker games into her 90s,  but her daughter was pretty much a non player at the same age.   I am not advocating for 90 years olds to be elected officials,  but I am saying that age is just a number and to some extent experience and wisdom should get better with age,  as long as that person is still able to be their own person and not just a puppet being influenced by the promise of an ice cream cone if hes a good boy and does what hes told.
Because politicians go to their doctor all the time to be "evaluated" and it always comes back as "Great Shape". I know what you are saying and I like it, just saying it's subjective because there would be work arounds.

@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@medaille said:
@greediron said:

If you can do the job so be it. My mother is 84 and extremely healthy. Her memory is amazing. She is a walking history book. She talks about coming to this country as a child, life post WWII and so many different things. She remembers all the birth weights of her grandchildren. She only had a 5th grade education because she had to quit school to help her family but she is an avid reader. She is very smart. When my grandma was 91 she was very alert and active. Smart as can be. She had such energy and motivation. People younger than her struggled to keep up with her. Learned a lot from my mom and grandma. There are younger politicians that are dumb as hell and no one says anything.

Clay Travis asks an interesting question,

[Image: tweet-every-rapper-nfl-superbowl-more-of...C445&ssl=1]

I don't give two shits in a hand basket about Gruden.  I'm glad he's gone, never liked him anyways.