Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Vikings defense better than we think?
The Minnesota Vikings defense through five weeks ranks sixth-best in the NFL per Pro Football Focus.
The Minnesota Vikings defense through five weeks ranks eighth-best in the NFL per DVOA, a stat from FootballOutsiders.com.
The Minnesota Vikings defense through five weeks surrenders the ninth-fewest points to opponents.
So, either the Vikings defense is actually pretty good – and it just doesn’t feel like it yet – or three mathematical metrics are liars. You decide.

More at the link....

https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/analys...ce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I would think it's the run D most of us are concerned about and is probably ranked fairly low.  The pass rush is much improved from last season, and that's probably the reason the overall D has respectable rankings.

Or everyone else is just as bad.

Yes, the D is so good we should be 2-3.  

The defense is better than last year, but I think it's an average defense overall. It's been better the last three games, but the Lions are the Lions and Baker couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat against us. 2nd half vs Russ and Seattle was better as well so maybe, JUST MAYBE, they are improving.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
The defense is better than last year, but I think it's an average defense overall. It's been better the last three games, but the Lions are the Lions and Baker couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat against us. 2nd half vs Russ and Seattle was better as well so maybe, JUST MAYBE, they are improving.
6th - 9th is average.  High end of average, but yes.

Pass rush is hugely improved over 2020 and the rest of the defense doesn’t seem worse, so that’s something. I’ve been encouraged by the defense the past couple of games but now all of a sudden the offense can’t break 20 points. 

I often joke that Dalvin is our entire offense when I’m watching games, but maybe he really is? I think I’m being sarcastic but man, since he went down the offense is sad!

Special Teams is also very much improved over last year (so far).

After the   defense of 2020 I expected the 2021 defense to be disciplined and  to make fewer mistakes mentally.

5 games into 2021 I don't see it.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Pass rush is hugely improved over 2020 and the rest of the defense doesn’t seem worse, so that’s something. I’ve been encouraged by the defense the past couple of games but now all of a sudden the offense can’t break 20 points. 

I often joke that Dalvin is our entire offense when I’m watching games, but maybe he really is? I think I’m being sarcastic but man, since he went down the offense is sad!

Special Teams is also very much improved over last year (so far).
Didn't Mattison light it up against Seattle?  

I'm not sure why anyone is complaining about the defense.  They've actually played pretty well outside of couple bad plays against Cincy, one bad half against Arizona (but they buckled down in the 2nd half and gave us a chance to win), and one bad quarter against Seattle.  Other than that, they held the Browns to 14 points and Detroit should have been 9 if one of our RBs didn't forget to hold on to the football at the end of a game.

Get some perspective people.  I get it, everyone's frustrated by our record and blame Zimmer...  and by extension the defense because it's his baby, but come on now.